Carpal Tunnel

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Carpal Tunnel

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Anyone know any good remedies for this...would yarrow help? The doc said to take Ibuprofen, but I think that only takes away the symptoms of carpal tunnel, not the actual problem.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Well, IBU Profen lessens inflamation, which does both, sort of.

Cayenne cream applied topically also relieves inflammation

Corn silk tea taken helps to relieve symptoms that are aggravated during high salt intake and PMS

St John's Wort "improves transmission over the median nerve."

(Prescription for Herbal Healing - Phyllis A Balch)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:30 pm

This MAY help;
Drugs - In special circumstances, various drugs can ease the pain and swelling associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other nonprescription pain relievers, may ease symptoms that have been present for a short time or have been caused by strenuous activity. Orally administered diuretics ("water pills") can decrease swelling.

Corticosteroids (such as prednisone) or the drug lidocaine can be injected directly into the wrist or taken by mouth (in the case of prednisone) to relieve pressure on the median nerve and provide immediate, temporary relief to persons with mild or intermittent symptoms. (Caution: persons with diabetes and those who may be predisposed to diabetes should note that prolonged use of corticosteroids can make it difficult to regulate insulin levels. Corticosterioids should not be taken without a doctor's prescription.)

Additionally, some studies show that vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) supplements may ease the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Exercise - Stretching and strengthening exercises can be helpful in people whose symptoms have abated. These exercises may be supervised by a physical therapist, who is trained to use exercises to treat physical impairments, or an occupational therapist, who is trained in evaluating people with physical impairments and helping them build skills to improve their health and well-being.

Alternative therapies - Acupuncture and chiropractic care have benefited some patients but their effectiveness remains unproved. An exception is yoga, which has been shown to reduce pain and improve grip strength among patients with carpal tunnel syndrome.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carp ... tunnel.htm
It goes on to tell about surgical methods. But hopefully it does not go that far for you. Although I had surgery on my knee. I was in there ten minutes. Woke up in Post op, and got up and wlked out side for a pipe.

It did not please the medic*, but the point is, is not to worry if they say they need to. It is not NEARLY as bad as it sounds.

Good luck with it.

* Who was a "very nice boy". Trouble is he thought I was as well!

Brought flowers to my ward. #-o

"Ahem, look pal, I THINK you have got something wrong here".

We are still mates though. Great guy. My Wife and I quite often have him and his boy friend over for dinner, and we then go to their place.

ALWAYS useful to have a nurse "in the family". :-D

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:55 am

:lol: At least he came after your heart in a respectable manner. How many men still court with flowers? :lol:
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:04 am

I agree completely, Crazy!

Not enough guys get us girls flowers anymore... Sigh!

At least he was a good guy about your rejection of his amourous advances... :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:40 am

Hay! My Tony courted me with flowers! Well...yeah...he did...our first date (blind date from a personals ad, btw) he bought me a rose from a vendor at the Ren Faire we went to.

And, the Valentine's day flowers he bought me last year were a half-dozen dark red roses. And the prettiest bloom had a black ribbon on it. A subtle little tribute to my favorite character, Erik.

Yes, the men who court with flowers are a dying breed, but they're not gone yet!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:38 pm

My favourite story to tell so far is this:

I came home after work to find our floor mat, usually inside, outside. Okay. I open the door a little, look down, and wow, a gorgeous new floor mat. I open the door a little more, and the house is sparkling clean, so much so that I had imagines in my mind of the *twinkle* *twinkle* you see in cartoons. I open the door the rest of the way, and there is a huge bouquet of my favourite flowers (lilies) on the table. This was for no reason, just out of the blue.

Valentine's, I came home to a bouquet of long-stem red roses, my other favourite flower ^_^

Our first date was at a secluded little place called Suicide Creek (cuz it's so cold). Under the moon and the stars, wrapped up in a blanket on the beach of this creek, we had our first kiss ^_^

Aaaaand now I'm in a sappy mood. I have to go attack my love and then cook him his favourite dinner ^_^ (I show people my love by cooking for them. :lol: Every birthday, special occasion, whatever, I will either make them a cake or cookies, or their favourite meal. If I make you food, I love you! I even offer tea to those I would rather not be in the room with.)
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:43 pm

No shouldn't need surgery yet, I will look into allthis.

My SO doesn't getme flowers, I get them for him. His last gift to me was a donation to OXFAM in my name...I loved it.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)