Sore Throat

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Sore Throat

Post by Jescissa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:42 am

I've been plagued with a nasty sore throat for the past couple of days. Yesterday I ate very little because it was so very sore and I tried my usual method of making hot blackcurrant juice to try and soothe it, but it didn't work. We have a gargle for sore throats but that only eases it for a while and it's not really long enough.

I found a recipe for a fenugreek tea that is supposed to soothe sore throats; Gently boil 2 teaspoons of bruised seeds per cup of water. Simmer 10 minutes. Drink up to 3 cups a day. to improve flavor add, honey, Lemon, Anise or Peppermint.

I'm going to get the ingredients together and see whether it makes a difference because OMG, this sore throat is really crippling me. It's probably a sign that I need to slow down or something, I've read up on the throat chakra and I'm a little worried that this is more than just a general sore throat because this quote definitely sounds like me;
Weak or Blocked Throat Chakra: You have an inability to accept things, and an inability to work with situations. You may have execessive egotism and prejudices. You tend to see the world as a hostile place, and expect hostility, violence, and humiliation rather than love and nourishment.
I don't want to treat the symptom and have the underlying problem get worse. Is there anything complementary I can do to treat the symptoms and see whether there is anything wrong with my throat chakra that manifests itself in physical pain?
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:04 am

Um, well, I just wanted to post to let you know that there's a really bad virus going around that starts with a dry, burning, sore throat. You eventually get serious congestion in either your sinuses or your chest, and feel like ABSOLUTE crap for a VERY long time.

Strong decongestants like Musonex (sp?) that have expectorant qualties help. I know that they're over the counter, but they've got to be the strong stuff...(ie-the stuff in PA that you have to show id and sign for at the pharmacy - apparently the good decongestants can be used to make meth and are now highly regulated...don't know if that's a PA thing or a USA thing.)

This is what I got when my throat was actually feeling like it was swelling closed and I went to the ER before my wedding. They treated it as an infection, but not a virus. My Dr said AFTER my wedding that it's a virus that's going around.

Lots of liquids, rest as much as you can, and any herbals you take, make sure they boost your immune system in addition to helping your symptoms.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:09 am

Thank you! For now it's just the sore throat, no other symptoms but I will keep a close check on myself.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:14 am

Krystar,

It's a USA thing, I don't know about other countries. The chemicals that can be used to make crystal meth are being federally regulated. unfortunately, for the bright but wasted minds that mix it up, it's only a speed bump, not a wall.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:13 pm

Oh, I know. I mean, seriously, if they WANT the stuff, they'll find a way to get it...w/o showing id.

Very silly regulation...but nice to know it's a USA thing and not a PA state thing...sorta...hmm...well, not NICE exactly...as that's just another paranoid government thing...but oh well.

Um, as for symptoms, I had occasional difficulty breathing b/c my sinuses would drain down my throat, causing my throat to start to swell a little...I think the Glands were swelling, not my actual voice box, but there was still pressure on my windpipe.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:43 pm

Good for the throat: Honey, ginger, garlic (you can mix just these three up and gulp 'em down!), apple cider vinegar... Get lots of vitamin C and E.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:15 pm

I used marshmallow root with ginger root for my cough and soar throat. Then, later, I took valerian root.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:28 pm

A little late on the reply - but what always works for me with a sore throat is a couple of pieces of toast with a liberal coating of creamy peanut butter and honey. I hit on this "cure" when I was just a kid and it always brings me some marked relief.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:45 pm

Honey any way ya slice it is a miracle worker for sore throats. I usually pour a substantial amount into some hot green tea to drink.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:15 am

STORMY! Glad to see you!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:33 am

Chamomile tea with honey lemon and ginger in always helps me. Not a cure but a good soother.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:43 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:STORMY! Glad to see you!!!
Thanks ;)
Managing to steal some time to stop in this week.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam