Unassisted childbirth

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Unassisted childbirth

Post by Willow » Wed May 16, 2007 5:35 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... amily/home

I know most peoeple here have strong opinions about this. I was wondering what other people think.

Personally, ia m still pro midwife, don't think I could do the unassisted thing.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 16, 2007 5:50 am

I'm completely in favour of midwifery. I was contemplating becoming a midwife, actually. In the hospitals, women are taken away the beauty of the right of passage that birth is. They are trying now to make it special again in some areas (I have seen and heard of some very nice situations in the hospitals here), but the majority of hospitals hook you and the baby up to a machine, tell ya to push, and now that the baby is out, measure, weigh, poke, okay now feed, congrats you're a citizen, momma get that breast out.

The birth process is absolutely beautiful. Many people don't realize, though, how big of a rite of passage it is for the mother.

Still, medical intervention has become necesary many times. I do believe that women carry the ability to give birth unassisted, alone, and have the instincts to care for their newborn immediately. I think it is a family's choice, and I applaud women who choose to do this, but at the same time wish they had a midwife present.

You can bet when it comes time for my pregnancy and birth, I'll be enlisting the aide of a good midwife.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatale » Wed May 16, 2007 10:03 am

I have three children and all three of them were born with medical assistance.

My first and my last baby were breeched. I was able to give birth naturally to my first daughter, but my third daughter was a c-section birth. I wish, the Dr. would have taken the risk of letting me give birth instead of doing the “easy way out” c-section.
My second daughter was a normal birth, but I was in the hospital with her too.
It made me feel safe to know that there are trained, experienced people to help me if something goes wrong – especially with the breeched babies.

I would suggest, have somebody trained with you in case of complications. A Midwife would be a great solution, if you don’t want sterile hospital environment and tubes all over your body. Though, if you ever gave birth, you know how messy it is. Are you sure you’re willing to clean afterwards?
In Germany “birthing houses” offer a “cosy” less medical environment and trained personnel (midwifes) is available.

In my opinion, the dangers of a completely home alone birth outweigh the positive experience. Giving birth is and has always been "risky business" for women. Naturally, but risky!
Of course I won't tell anybody what to do. If a woman wants to do home birthing all by herself (or with her partner) that's her choice. Preferably, Have someone close to get help if you should need it.

One thing in the article doesn’t sit right with me! A four year old attending a birth? I’m not sure if this is suitable for a child to watch. It might be too scary! As spiritual the experience can be for the mother, I’m not sure 4 years is old enough to appreciate the miracle of birth in the same way!