Yucky Face Stuff

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Stormy

Yucky Face Stuff

Post by Stormy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:24 pm

OK, I need help. You'd think that at 43 I wouldn't have a problem with acne - but over the past 6 months I've been battling these aweful, painful, HIDEOUS lumps that only show up along my jaw line, usually near my ears, or under my chin, or, sometimes the back of my neck. Gross, I know. They hurt like hell, look worse and very rarely will they actually ever be the traditional break it and lose it in a day or so sort of acne. These buggers stay for weeks at a time, have gotten worse, and are making me very self concious.

I declared "war" on these buggers about a month ago. Changed my diet so I don't eat any sort of crap - if I want a snack, I grab fruit or vegies. Increased water intake (purified water) to no less than 10 servings a day, usually a LOT more - figured I'd flush my system. I increased my daily work outs at home and started doing 3 to 4 days a week at the gym where I work. I'm healthier than I've been in years, LOL, but these darn zit things keep showing up - no sooner is one side of my face fairly clear, than they pop out on my other jaw - thank the Goddess for long, face hugging hair!

So.... I went to the doctor. He said to see a dermatologist because I actually have a minor skin infection which will (he claims) stay locoalized but which won't go away with Stridex, Benzoil peroxide, anti-biotic cream, hydrogen-cortozone cream, etc. (I've tried them all with very little effect other than irritating my skin more.) He said I will need to take a low dose anti-biotic for about 6 months, or, wait about 2 or 3 years for the infection to resolve itself!!!

Now, the anti-biotics idea I just DON'T LIKE. First, I'm allergic to most common ones, second, long term use is never a good thing. So I'm looking for other answers.

I decided to try the Benzonite clay powder as a mask over them. I just started it tonight as I have three very painful lumps on the left side of my jaw which have been there for over a week without improvement. I have high hopes that it will draw out the toxins and bacteria.

Anyone have any other ideas or advice? I'd be really grateful for any input.
Last edited by Stormy on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:38 pm

Hmm, Lavender oil usually makes zits go away within a day or two, so maybe try dabbing some of that on?

Aside from that, I dunno. Hope you find something that works though!
"Love like you've never been hurt."

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Try also Honey mixed with White flour, that usually wqorks.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:46 pm

I've had decent results with mint oil. A lot of menthol (mint, sage, eucalyptus especially.) oils will draw out toxins. If I get REALLY bad pimples, (Which I usually don't) I'll wash them with anti-bacterial hand soap then again with acne soap.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:09 am

okay. First of all, congrats on upping the veggie & water intake. That is a huge step in the right direction. A few questions:

1)How much milk do you drink? In what form?

2)How much meat do you eat? What kind? Is it organic? Is it heavily processed?

3)Do you have any allergies? Food sensitivities?

A few suggestions:
1)Buy a cheap juicer, and drink 2 glasses of carrot juice in the morning, every morning. Spice it up & add a piece of celery to the juicer, or some other veggies, but keep it at least 2/3 carrot juice. Drink it as soon as it is juiced. Within a few weeks, you will notice improvement.

2)Try BarleyMax, or something similar: It's barley or green juice that is dehydrated. Add a teaspoon to a tablespoon in a glass of water first thing in the morning, 1/2hr before eating breakfast. Some people HATE the taste, but it really cleanses and because I'm drinking this stuff, eating lots of greens (Chlorophyll), and not filling my body with Cr**, I don't even have to use deoderant, and only get a pimple or two if my body is fighting something off.

3)Get LOTS of sleep. For three or four nights, get over 10 hours sleep. It sounds like a lot, but whenever I would get an outbreak, I'd do this, and everything would be 1/3 gone by morning. Do whatever it takes: earplugs, tea with valerian in it (careful!), telling the hubby he needs to sleep on the couch for a few days...

4) Change your pillow case every day. There is bacteria on the pillowcase after you have been sleeping on it, and if you have acne, no matter what you do, that bacteria will keep infecting your skin if you keep applying it in this way.

5) Try cutting everything out of your diet that could possibly be causing you trouble. Cut out wheat, meat, milk, eggs... Eat lots of local fruit and veggies. Do this for two weeks, and then start slowly reintroducing foods one at a time to see if they effect your overall feelings & your acne. When you reintroduce the meat, don't group all meat into one category. Add turkey, then chicken, then beef, then pork. Should be in that order.

There is a way to get past the antibiotics if you are really feeling like this is not good for you. Try these suggestions. The carrot juice is amazing for your skin and REALLY speeds healing (incredible, I'm not joking) but make sure you do it every day. The sleep is VERY important. If you are getting 8 hrs that is not enough right now. Your body needs help healing, and if you want these suckers gone, you need to sleep a LONG time. Even 12 hours is preferable. It may seem like a waste of time, and maybe your body isn't used to that and will wake up after 8 hrs. DO WHAT IT TAKES. If it's too hard during work days, do it on the weekend so you can nap in the middle of the day.

Anyway, what you are already doing is great. You're making changes. You're doing great :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:26 am

Wow! :-D Thanks CHL - lots of good advice there that I didn't even consider - especially changing the pillow cases. Makes complete sense, but I didn't even think of it.

As for milk, I don't drink much of it - for my cereal, I use skim. For my coffee, 2%. I do eat yogurt every day though.

I never have eaten much meat because I know for a fact that red meat messes me up - I'm so allergic to antibiotics that the residual in the meat makes me sick if I eat red meat more than once a week. I usually eat chicken - boneless, skinless breast - or fish.

I am very sensitive to un-natural food additives - MSG, dyes, chemical preservatives - part of the reason I simply said ENOUGH!! and cut out all of the processed crap. I knew it was part of the problem, and it has helped a little bit - perhaps a month is simply not long enough to see lasting results? I was, after all, a chocolate, pastries, cookies lover - and I know I am allergic to chocolate, at least somewhat.

I actually FEEL very healthy, much better than I have in a long time - and with the increased exercise it seems that an addiction to the endorphines of a workout has replaced the junk food fix, I am at a point where I WANT to exercise.

And yet, still, they appear...

Good news though - after just one night of the Benzonite clay treatment, my lumps are 90% reduced, no longer painful - I wish I would have thought of it a while ago! The red marks are still there, but that clay seems to have sucked out all the toxic crap.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:22 am

A cool cloth on your face for 15 minutes before bed may reduce swelling and redness (I would try those nea wheat packs / Magic Bags that you can throw in the freezer).

Also, I agree with CHL, I think eating healthy and getting lots of sleep are the two best things you can do to avoid antibiotics. The only thing I would add is some good excersise. Sweat out whatever is in you, even if you are just walking or doing crazy amounts of running. Whatever gets your heartrate up (I would hold off on swimming for a bit so you don't irritate your face).

As well, look into your cleaning routine? Did you change your face saoap / laundry soap recently? Might you be reacting to that?

I hope it works out for you.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:24 am

Willow wrote: Also, I agree with CHL, I think eating healthy and getting lots of sleep are the two best things you can do to avoid antibiotics. The only thing I would add is some good excersise. Sweat out whatever is in you, even if you are just walking or doing crazy amounts of running. Whatever gets your heartrate up (I would hold off on swimming for a bit so you don't irritate your face).

As well, look into your cleaning routine? Did you change your face saoap / laundry soap recently? Might you be reacting to that?
Well, sleep isn't going to be something I can change much - 6 hours a night during the week is most I can do with work. I can get more on the weekends though.

I have been exercising a lot more this past month. I have always done a weight lifting routine at home, but have pumped it up to 5 times what I was doing, added extra sit-ups, push-ups, leg exercises and aerobic dancing/fight kata while holding 3 pound dumb-bells. I also added 3 to 4 days a week at the gym where I work. I use one of their $5,000 trainers which is a combo of eliptical running machine with a lift that makes it like stair stepping while running. I do no less than 20 minutes but usually about 30 or 40 minutes. I started out at a level 4, got it up to level 8 (I think it only goes to 10), so I push my heart rate into the upper cardio zone for the whole work out - I'd gotten used to the level 4 and could do it without barely breaking a sweat. The machine is actually really cool as it monitors my heart rate the whole time I'm on it and has actually given me an alarm a couple of times when I'd had a bad day and was going "angry fast" and pushed my heart rate over 170 :roll:

As for soaps - I actually went to an all natural soap that I get made special for me by a woman who runs a small online business. It's been several months and it has made a difference so far as less irritation. I also recently started to use moisturizers from a place called Dunham's Naturals which has also helped reduce irritation from the commercial chemicals in store products.

Really, I've been trying every thing I can think of, and am glad for the additional ideas you've all given me to try. Thanks! :-D

I think I also really need to reduce my stress, but that's probably the biggest hurdle I have :-?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:41 pm

Good for you, but taking care of yourself is the first step to reducing stress.

Good on you for exercising. i love doing free weights. I am usually the only girl in that part of the gym but I love it. It makes me feel so strong and healthy.

Is it your schedule preventing you from getting sleep or do you have trouble sleeping? Is your work not giving you enough time off to get eight hours sleep? that is crazy....
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:55 pm

One thing I gotta mention: After all that exercise, rinse your face with cold water. Don't even rub or wash. Do this in the mornings, too. Just splash for about 30 seconds straight with cold, cold water. Pat dry with soft, clean towel. Oh man, so good for your skin!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Willow wrote: Is it your schedule preventing you from getting sleep or do you have trouble sleeping?
Actually, both - I have to be at work by 6 or 7 AM (depending on schedule) and work until at least 3:30 - when we're busy, as late as 6 PM. Then I have all of the house work to do, which, unfortunately, has been falling behind - I don't vacume every other day like I need to with 3 cats, I'm lucky if I get to it once a week...

And then I just can't seem to sleep through the night - I wake up at least 2 or 3 times, so I rarely get "restful" sleep.