Migraines

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Migraines

Post by fatale » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:41 am

I had my very first migraine - and I hope I never have one again. I was out for a week. Not even the Imatrex shot helped. I'm back to work, but I'm still not all good. My vision is still blury at times and light still bothers me. My head still hurts a little.

Guess Karma came back to bite me in the Head (in this case) I accused my ant of just using her head aches as a way out of doing things, but I now believe it is real! It is real and it is horrible.

Any herbs and mixtures you know that can prevent or even cure migraine head aches?

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:53 am

My ex soon-to-be would get migraines often, I allways made tea out of rosemary, seemed to work well for him.
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:05 am

What also works is seeking out massage therapy, specifically someone who does deep tissue/trigger point therapy. Many times both headaches and migraines originate in the neck, shoulders and back. By working those out, you work out the headache/migraine.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:54 pm

massages help a lot and I found chamomille tea helpes a litte (not a cure but good for when it was starting out)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Possibly lavender aroma therapy? Lavender is supposed to calm and relax, if stress is your problem.
Try looking here:
http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi? ... 6012.26945

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:27 pm

From the book Mircle Healing herbs, Basil, belladonna, (not suggested), bergamont, elderberry,feverfewq, lavender,Marijuana (not suggested), mekaleuca, mint, pine, tea, and thyme.

Good luck, and I have had plenty of migraines and they hurt so bad. I will send healing thoughts your way.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Reiki is a japanese spiritual healing method. It heals the actual problem, and doesn't concentrate on only healing the symptoms. So as one of a multitude of Reiki practioners around here, I would suggest seeking out a reiki practioner in your area.

But mind you, ask anyone on the board. I suggest Reiki for all of life's problems. :lol: I'm a true reiki convert. ;)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:37 pm

"I'm a true reiki convert"
Mwa ha ha ha! Success!

When I am working on clients with migraines, I ALWAYS find junk clogging up their crown chakra. If you know someone who you trust with energy work, ask them to pull the bad stuff out. If there is no one who can do that for you, you can easily do it yourself. Just make sure the junk you pull out gets transmuted to positive energy, or you're literally flinging bad stuff out into the universe & it comes back at you (Karma).

Really, this always works whenever someone has a headache or even a migraine. I have never seen it fail.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Take a magnesium supplement and a multi B vitamen complex - having a definceny of either can make migraines worse or more frequent.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

fatale
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatale » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:05 pm

thanx everyone!

I'm on a pretty strict diet now. No caffein and no alcohol (though, I'm not much of a drinker) and (that's the worst part) no chocolate.
I drink my 64 oz of water every day - I actually start feeling dehydrated if I don't!

too bad - I wish I'd gotten the same advice you gave lotus! Buy new shoes! :lol: ;)

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Hmmm, interesting suggestions:

Ok, let me prefix this with the following:

1) I suffer cronic, debilitating migraines and have since childhood
2) I practice herbalism and have since I was a teen
3) I'm partially versed in both massage (multiple disciplines) and accupressure

Ok, that out of the way, I'll start list out items that can help, from most effective to least (generally speaking) broken apart by category:
Ingestibles:
Rosemarry (tea)
Mint (usually peppermint, again tea)
chammomile, skullcap, hybiscuss (again, often tea)
--- Caffine often helps during a migraine, as it dialates the vessels and eases the flow of blood. Adding white tea to rosemarry and peppermint, then brewing into a hot tea helps a majority of migraine sufferers.

External:
Ice Packs on head, front and back (dulls pain and causes internal swelling to ease)
Massage Therapy (focus on neck and shoulders)
Accupunture/pressure (of course, working migraine and pain points)
Hot showers/baths (soaking, opens vessels and eases blood flow)

---- eucalyptus/tea tree/mint and lastly lavendar oils used with the massage or shower can help, it can also be used alone, rubben into the temples, down the sides and to the back of the neck and along the hair line. This can often help as well.

Lastly:
For almost everyone, the following help:
Cool (lower the temperature)
Quiet (try and eliminate noise)
Dark (turn off lights, close curtains/blinds)
finally *Sleep*

Most people find their head is better after sleep :)

I hope this helps.

Btw, forgotten, good job on the rosemarry, I think you're the first live person I know who has known that without me telling them. ;) It's surprising how such a simple thing as that can help 65 to 75% of migraine sufferers.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by iriseyes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:19 am

Wow treatment for migraines... I love this place...

I suffer from migraines really bad. They come and go.. Cleaning out the Crown Chakra I'm going to try that next time.. or have someone do that for me.. I have found that when I get migraines I wouldn't be able to remove the bad from my CC cause I'm useless when I get them..

I went to the doc just last week with a migraine he gave me Migranal a nose spray.. 30 to 45 min later the pain was gone. Mind you I still had the aura and my vision was rather weird but the pain was gone.

Also I have found that a very hot steamy bath with some lavender oil in the water helps relax me.
To thine own self be true.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:39 am

oui, migranol can help, I have some in the bathroom myself, unfortunately for me it only works if it's a slow building migraine and I catch it at the outset, which is only about 15% to 25% of them :( The same goes for things like Immitrex and what not.

Strangely enough, short of custom blending herbs and adjusting the recipie for the individual over long periods of time to get it balanced out to their exact triggers, chemistry and tolerances, rosemarry, peppermint and whitetea mixed in roughly the following parts:
  • Rosemary = 3 - 4 parts
    Peppermint = 1 to 2 parts
    White Tea = 21/2 to 5 parts
Tends to work the best. For those who don't like peppermint, leave that out and just go for 1/2 and 1/2 between the white tea and rosemarry or go with equal parts rosemary, chammomile and whitetea.

Lavendar and mint oils are good for massage as well, if one is careful when applying it to keep it out of eyes and mouth, camphor based linements and balms help a LOT of people when applied to temples, hairline, neck, etc. Wong To Yick (Woodlock) and Whiteflower Oil are two very good Chinese oils that can be used (order online if you don't have a local chinese grocery or apothocary) and Tiger Balm works well for most folks too.

A trick with Tiger Balm to make it more effective:
Ok, here's a trick from the herbalist for y'all. Let's start with a lil backround. You've basically got two kinds of rubs, balms and oils/linaments. Balms last longer, but aren't as fast acting and often don't seem to penetrade as deeply. Unfortunately, the oils and linaments, while they are faster acting and often penetrate deeper, they don't last as long.

The trick:
Get some Extra Strength Tiger Balm (Tiger Balm Red)
Order some Wong To Yick (Woodlock)

Once you have both, open the tiger balm, take the lid off, then microwave for about 25 to 35 seconds on about 70% or 80% power. This will liquify it. Now pour out about 10% of it (unless you've already used some and have some free room in the bottle).

Now, pour fill the rest of the tiger balm bottle in with the Wong To Yick (Woodlock) oil. Once it's full, take a straw or chopstick or some other clean, disposible item and slowly, but thoroughly stif it for a minute or two.

Put the cap back on the tiger balm, then place the bottle into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to and hour. When you take it out, it will be fully solid again.

Viola! You now have super tiger balm. I've been making this for years for myself and others and have people from all over the world asking me for it when they run out or are injured, sore, strained, etc. Personally, I do other things to it as well, as needed, but the above is a basic, powerful enhancement to two already very good medicines.

Enjoy

Beannachta
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by iriseyes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:24 pm

Well that is true on the oncet of the headaches.. I caught this one early..

Thanks for the tips.. Ill try them first next time and see what happens.
To thine own self be true.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:48 pm

I used to suffer from them when I was younger. Mostly all of this was due to stress.
The only remedy that worked for me was to sit in a cool darkened room. Actually the room had to be pitch black. (this was some of the stuff noted earlier).

Best of luck,
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.