Beans Beans...

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Beans Beans...

Post by Willow » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:37 pm

Simple question, how do I get more nutrients from beans? Canned or dried. I have been using canned because they are more convenient but as I was making pasta Fagouli today I realised I might be draining off all the nutrients when I wash them out of the can. Also I can't identify the substance that beans are packed in which disturbs me a little.

I don't mind soaking them except for with hummus, I can't make good hummus with dried chick peas, but I think you lose nutrients when you soak too. Any suggestions?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:36 pm

I think that thick substance is just water. Beans thicken things up.

Well, the way to get more nutrients from beans, the way I know, is to combine foods. I know with protein you can't get complete protein through one plant alone: you need twp at least. Many vegetables of differing colour (three, I think?) or legumes and grains (beans and rice), just like some vitamines can only really be taken with fatty foods like almond butter.

That's all I can think of. I'm sure washing them off takes away many nutrients, but I'm not sure about soaking.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:14 am

If its water than I can probably use that stuff in my soups.

I know mixing lentils and rice gives you a very important complex protien.

Why can't eating healthy be simple?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:43 pm

You're telling me.

I've decided I'm going to start the Hallelujah diet. The fun part was buying a good juicer for mega cheap at Liquidation World. The hard part is buying barley mix for $60. O___O and constantly monitering to be sure I'm not lacking in vitamines and minerals.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:31 am

Barley mix cost you 60$? Where did you get it?

I realised that I am going about losing my crutch gut the wrong way. I have been having a general "I need to lose 15 pounds attitude" I need to switch to smaller changes to see if I can just lose one pound at a time. So change one is now I only drink juice, water or tea, we will see how that works. If it s a change I can maintain I will keep it, if not I will drop it and try something else.

I think my next step will be smaller servings of cheese, I could eat a brick of the stuff, I think I need to pay more attention to how much of it I eat.

How is your new diet going?
Last edited by Willow on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:55 pm

Yes, a goal like 15lbs is pretty daunting if not taken a step at a time!

I haven't actually bought the stuff. I had a taste of my friend's, who has convinced me to go on the diet, and it was pretty good, and apparently necessary for the whole thing. I asked her how much, and she said $60! I'm shopping around, though ;)

It's going pretty good ^__^ It's pretty well veganism RAW! My niece loves making juice :lol: and it is a great way to get her to eat vegetables!

To everyone, I must put this in again: I am not on this thing for weight-loss! :lol: I don't even look at a scale.

Man... Day three, and my body feels soooo good. I'm still coming off of a sickness, so I've got to really watch my protein O__O
Crazy Healer Lady

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:32 pm

Willow wrote:Why can't eating healthy be simple?
Because we evovled to be able to derive nutrient from a varied diet to avoid starvation in times of trial.

For example: a diet of meat and limited vegatables and grains will keep you alive (If you eat in strict moderation); and a diet of varied veggie products and few meat will keep you alive.

In the old Hunter-gatherer; live-only-off-the-land days you had two major seasons, Summer and Winter. In summer the plants were varied and plentiful, while the meat was lean and hard to come by; while in winter, meat was fatty and rich and veggies hard to find. So, the human body adapted to make the most out of this...and to be able to process the food that was available depending on the season.

Yes, I know, in Autumn, animals are fat while in early spring they aren't. But while the critters were bulking up, the plants were fading; and when the plants were shooting out, the critters were leaning down b/c of winter's trials.

Balance.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:13 am

It was more rhetorical but that is good too know. You are handy to have around kystar. I wonderif we started storing things because our bodies needed veggies and stuff more during the winter.

I am glad you feel good CHL. my first day without hot chocolate/coffee went well. I think it is way better for me if I just get proper sleep and avoid cafeine. Plus I don't have that creepy taste in my mouth that way.

Are you allowed to eat cooked food on your diet or its all pretty much raw?
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:12 pm

15% cooked, 85% raw.

The juice part is the fun part :-D *shows off orange moustache* It matches my hair!! :roll:

A hefty helping of peppermint or ginseng tea really helps one do away with coffee and less healthy hot beverages, if you're really pining. :)
Crazy Healer Lady

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:16 pm

First, the thick Juice in beans is, as CHL (?) pointed out, just salt water which thickens when the starch bleads out of the beans. The same will happen to a bowl of water when you leave a potatoe in. It makes great glue.

Barley mix at $60 !!!! Whats in it? Gold dust? You can get barley here for about €10 for a 5 kilo pack. If you go to a Chinese supermarket you can get a 30 kilo pack for around €15 > 20.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:04 am

>__< I wasn't going to buy it. And I did. I suppose it's about as much as any supplement.

It's a LOT of barley, though, dried and powdered and neatly packed into a colourful plastic jar that almost makes you think it's worth spending your money on it.

I'll tell you: It tastes very bad when you know you've spent a lot of money on it.
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:39 pm

Boo on that, I alays thugh Barley was a poor mans food. So much for that idea.

I need to find a good Ginseng tea, I tried one a while ago and it tasted similar to watered dirt, I have also been told that green tea can help.

I like mint tea and almost any friut tea, but I love to add honey to them.

I think it will help when I am not living with my SO anymore. When I live by myself I can just grab a salad for supper but he wants afull meal everynight. And if he serves me the portions are way too big. As well I don't buy junk when I live alone so it is easier to resist, I keep a steady diet of grapes and I am happy. He likes to have cookies and sweets in the house "for guests."

[-X
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:55 am

There is actually nothing wrong with coffee. It has the same benefits as tea. Caffene in small doses has health benefits.
As long as you do not drink 50 pots a day then you should be fine.
*shrugs* It depends on your body chemistry in the end.

(ducks out of the way as remembering the last time I spoke in favor of something) A little milk in your coffee is good too. :lol:

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:51 pm

Lotus wrote: A little milk in your coffee is good too. :lol:
:-D
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:18 am

LOL...milk will forever be a tabooed word on this board.

The problem with coffee is I always drink it with a really thick hot Chocolate and sugar.

A little change...hopefully it helps. I managed to visit my family without eating any meat.. I think my vegetarian transition is nearing cvompletion.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)