Reusable Stuff

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Reusable Stuff

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:07 am

Well, I am going to admit something.....

I am a re-usable non-disposable junkie and the love of my life and I have recently had a little kerfuffle so I thought I would put a little rant and info here.

I use handkerchiefs, my nose runs 24/7 in the winter and I sit at my compy all day, it is just easier to use a hanky and throw it in the wash at the end of the day. It is nicer on my nose too. My darling (a virgo to the core) is a little grossed out by this. I leave it in the same spot and always throw them in the wash.

Oddly enough he is fine with things like reusable snaitary napkins, dinner napkins and diapers. I don't understand why the nose is so different, especially than a dinner napkin.

Anyway I thought I would get some opinions and leave you with a great website. They sell organic natural menstrual and womyn's products and I love them. Small company out of CHL's turf.

www.lunapads.com
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:54 am

Hey these are pretty neat. I have been considering this a long time, especially with the cabin dreams. Thanks for the site!!

Oh come on. Kleenex is meant to be thrown out. I'll bet it uses less paper than the essays you are doing!! ;)

I'm a huge re-use junky as well, but I still use kleenex. I don't like hankies O_O
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:57 am

No doubt it uses less paper and I can compost it.

But I don't know where the paper comes from and I just have a huge guilt complex when it comes to throwing out things when there is a viable re-use solution.

But at least my SO is in good company in his hanky-hate. 8-)

As for my essays I *try* to do most of my editing on the computer, double side, only print off useful articles etc. But I still feel extremely guilty about using so much paper for school sometimes too.

I am thinking that I will start getting my students to submit e-mail copies of their essays too me. That way I can easily google suspicious phrases, catch them when they don't follow formatting standards and use track changes to edit rather than paper and a pen.

We will see though.

Oh and if you are thinking of the cloth products, look into the keeper and the diva cup too, I love them!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:38 am

Maybe I'm not being as eco-friendly as I should be, but.....

.....I just don't think I could stand a reusable pad. I mean... it just seems gross to me. No offense or anything.

Of course, mind you, with as many problems as I have, I really don't use anywhere near as many pads/tampons as most girls do, so... yeah... I'm going to shut up now.
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:53 am

Sorry, but I must side with the "it's decidedly gross" folks.

Yes, I try to re-use all that I can, but I also figure that since I am living in a century when I can get and use disposable items that make the act of blowing my nose and having a period more sanitary and less likely to spread germs, that I should (and shall) make good use of such items.

Come on now - there were all sorts of things that they did before just because they HAD to do it that way - don't think for one minute that if they had kleenex and pads 200 years ago that they wouldn't have used them. True, a great many of our "progressive" ideas are total crap, but there are a few that really have a good basis in sound common sense when it comes to keeping healthier.

Just my two cents.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:07 pm

Sorry, but Stormy said it better than I could. Though to me a hanky isn't as bad as a reusable pad. Something about that just seriously grosses me out.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:50 pm

Oh come on now. You WASH the darn things. And menstrual blood is cleaner than saliva and most other things around. You don't just let it sit there. :roll: I don't see how it's any different than washing a bib or underwear, and seems way cleaner than washable diapers. (I want to say I'll get those... but after dealing with my niece for the last three years, I am not sure. The less time around that stench the better.)
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Well yeah i know you wash them, but still...I dunno, just not something I can wrap my head around.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:41 pm

See, that's just the thing. When you're at school from 7 am until sometimes 11 pm (ahh, rehearsals. Gotta love 'em), you really can't wash them as often as it seems you'd need to. I mean, I guess one could put the dirty ones in a bag or something, but..... who really wants to carry around a pad-bag?

The whole situation seems gross to me.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:I don't see how it's any different than washing a bib or underwear, and seems way cleaner than washable diapers.
OK now, I'll agree that it would be better than poopy nasty diapers but...

....I'm not so sure I want to know what you folks get on your bibs and underwear up there in the cold north that would make it just like washing bibs or underwear :-D

I stand by my original assessment [-( - it is gross and not as hygienic as throw away pads or tampons.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:19 pm

Bibs - baby bibs get food, drool etc. I'm not getting into the underwear topic cuz that's just too weird :lol:

And hey we sweat in our clothes all day! It's just another bodily fluid, and I'll remind again much cleaner than other bodily fluids. And if I'm living in a cabin, I can't run to the store and pick up pads. They wouldn't let me pay in carrots :cry: Heck, this saves me from making them myself, and I was not looking forward to the trial-and-error of the whole ordeal...

Mind things have changed now and I'm going to have a steady income, but still... I'd rather go completely natural (except, you know, body hair and hygiene weirdness).

Then again, you're talking to the same freak who plans on going on the Hallelujah diet in the next few months!!! (for health, which is its purpose, not weight-loss)
Crazy Healer Lady

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:43 pm

What is the Hallelujah diet? O.o

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:26 am

Its alright, a lot of people think that it is gross, but this, if it menstrual fluid gets on underwear, most people don't throw them out.

Also I have a nice little latex allergy which makes a lot of products a little uncomfortable for the sensitive areas.

I think it is socially ingrained that it is dirty. I mean look at the commercials they dress the women in white and use blue liquid rather than red because it isn't as vicsious to see.

As for the waste, what really turned me to the reusables was a project put on by the womyn's centre at me school where they made a giant pile of all the pads used by the average woman in her lifetime. Then went through the chemicals and the production process. It was pretty freaky.

Anyway, I am not judging anyone, after all it is your body and your choice how you take care of it. I just like people knowing that there are multiple options. But check out the website and some others, there are lots of options, like biodegradable tampons, sea sponges, organic cotton tampons. But again, I don't want anyone to think I am preaching.

Amen [-o<

Edited to add this semi-relevant news story
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ealth/home
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:01 am

Heck, I'm preaching!!

Not that women SHOULD switch, but that it's not gross. :lol:

As for the diet... It was started by a priest who had colon cancer. Determined not to die like his mother did (from pnemonia as a result of the treatment rather than the cancer), he looked in the bible and found a quote in Genesis about the Garden of Eden, and god saying that it's given us fruit and vegetables to eat. Changed his diet completely to fruits and vegetables only, and healed his colon cancer in one year.

My friend went on the diet for a few months. Her acne completely cleared up, she had more energy than ever, wasn't feeling sick after every meal. She swears by it. And my spirituality-guided diet has been basically doing this for me anyway, cutting out meat, then chocolate and strawberries, etc.

http://www.hacres.com/diet/explained.asp

The guy could be a quack, but you can't argue with results :) And my body is saying yes to the diet
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:03 am

Why strawberries? That would be like cutting off a limb for me.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)