Soy Milk, Not Cow's Milk!

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Re: Soy Milk, Not Cow's Milk!

Post by Mahala » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Ack, my Windows crashed so I haven't been able to be around for a day or two. (And lost a good portion - Probabyl ALL - of my files too. :smt022 Pooey!)

Bleh. I'm going to start on myself, trying to break all my naughty-naughty eating habits in the next two years before I get serious with my plan on joining the Navy, Air Force, or Marines. (Pending, mind. Might go to college, before OR after.) That means to me, losing weight to get to my proper weight. Not only because I want to, but because I think there's a regulation somewhere on the maximum/minimum weight applicants that each branch can accept.

My first thing- NO more anything with tons of salt/sugar or calories. Natural when I can, home-grown all the time. Measuring all the servings or at least not over eating. Much research yet to be done, I'd love it if I could garner help from you guys.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:40 am

Mahala wrote:joining the Navy, Air Force, or Marines. (Pending, mind. Might go to college, before OR after.)
Why not do it as PART of?

Get the forces to pay for your college, then you get better promotion prospects once in.

As to weight etc. Most, if not ALL armies (forces) of the world have a minimum fitness grade.

I know the British and the German army will not take you if you are more than 5 to 10% over weight (Not sure of the EXACT), it goes on BMI, which I think MOST people are agreed is a load of bloody rubbish, but hey, the idiot doctors don't.

Try this site;

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningt ... weight.htm

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks Ragnar, that's another thing I forgot to point out. And thanks for the link. I read somewhere that you have to be in a close range to the BMI that you should be, even if your weight currently might be over, but is technically right. (Anyone who weighs 200 lbs, regardless of their muscle, is considered obese... I agree, rubbish.)Who the hell decided to make the BMI anyways? I've seen smarter things done... say, changing the food pyramid. :-?

Now, if I've got this right... (I'm not scared of my weight as it is...)

Current BMI= 29.7 Current weight= 179 lbs Height= 5'5"

Air Force- At 66", I would have to achieve a maximum of 170, or a minimum of 107 lbs
Navy- Maximum of 163, a minimum of 106 lbs
Marine Corps- Maximum of 155, minimum 117 lbs

(I got 66" when I took my height, 5'5", times twelve for each foot... correct?)

I'll waive their BMI thingy... After I lose the weight, and gain muscle, my BMI should change... I've got two years to figure this all out but you just gave me somewhere to start! Figured 120-130 lbs would be about right.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:56 am

Mahala wrote:(I got 66" when I took my height, 5'5", times twelve for each foot... correct?)
Doubt it, unless you are a small elephant;
Category BMI range - kg/m2 BMI Prime Mass of a 1.8 metre person with this BMI
Severely underweight less than 16.5 less than 0.60 under 53.5 kg (8.4 stone)
Underweight from 16.5 to 18.5 from 0.6 to 0.74 from 53.5 - 60 kg (8.4 - 9.4 stone)
Normal from 18.5 to 25 from 0.74 to 1.0 from 60 - 81 kg (9.4 - 12.8 stone)
Overweight from 25 to 30 from 1.0 to 1.2 from 81 - 97 kg (12.7 - 15.3 stone)
Obese Class I from 30 to 35 from 1.2 to 1.4 from 97 - 113 kg (15.3 - 17.9 stone)
Obese Class II from 35 to 40 from 1.4 to 1.6 from 113 - 130 kg (17.9 - 20.4 stone)
Obese Class III above 40 above 1.6 above 130 kg (20.4 stone)
Category BMI range - kg/m2
Starvation less than 14.9
Underweight from 15 to 18.4
Normal from 18.5 to 22.9
Overweight from 23 to 27.5
Obese from 27.6 to 40
Morbidly Obese greater than 40
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

But we did it sensibly. The Seargeant said put this kit on, carry that rifle and run two miles. Whoever managed it in the given time passed.

And that was REGARDLESS of how "over" or "underweight" you APPEARED to be.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:44 am

Mpf. Well, before I can even enlist, my guess is that they'll want to know if it's a waste of time to let me on or not... It's all so complicated but whatever it takes to get it right. I've got an easy way of eating to follow - Stay the same, just eat better foods.
Oh gosh, I love mom's way of helping.
Eat less food per meal and you won't have to exercise...

Ummm... less food, worse food to begin with = less energy, more fat.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:47 am

Mahala wrote: Oh gosh, I love mom's way of helping.
Eat less food per meal and you won't have to exercise...
Yeeesss. Or in my case, my Wifes Aunty, who figures even though I am 110 kilo at 1;75 meter, I "need feeding up". :lol:

"Look, you are not feeding him properly, he has faded away to the size of a barn!" #-o

Vinita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vinita » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:11 pm

Um... my I point out something. Most food is not even made natural ( at least no in the US), most in genetically modified. Oh and all food are unhealthy. It just depends on how much you eat. Everything in moderation is my personal motto. If you go off what the health official says, you get confused. Trust me... I tried for a while gave me a head ache to size of the South Africa.
Last edited by Vinita on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Vinita wrote: Oh and all food are unhealthy. It just depends on how much you eat.
Quite. Even oxygen is poisonous in the right concentration. (IF I remember my biochemistry lessons correctly). :-?

AND, if you think about it, and have the SLIGHTEST belief in Darwinism, ALL life is "genetically modified".

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Human genetic messing-arounds or nature's hand? Right now I'm confused and kind of laughing at this... I had really bad stomach aches/cramps... the whole nine yards of misery here for little over 24 hours.

I ate a bowl of ice cream, took a nap in the tub and now I'm actually smiling again... \:D/ Now, do tell me... how is dairy BAD?! (Coats the stomach, and it is supposed to be bad for stomach aches, but that depends who you talk to. Mom said milkshakes, I say ice cream for stomach problems.) I'm NEVER eating canned crab meat again. That, or drinking the water from the Parkway fountains... :roll: I'm just glad is wasn't that crypto stuff that was going around last year.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 pm

If you have the enzyme that breaks lactose down, great for coating the stomach and relieving stomach aches. I prefer milk thistle ;) or chamomile/peppermint/catnip tea. Or cool clean water. Or a nap. Or a stomach rub.

All I can say is of all my friends that have stopped consuming dairy, moderate to severe acne has disappeared, they are not needing deoderant, they are losing weight, and feeling more energetic. This is without changing anything else, just cutting out the dairy. :-" Just based on my own personal observation here. Once again, I'm NOT saying milk is bad. Heck, it's perfect for the mooers. I am just not convinced it is compatible with everyone's bodies.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:47 am

Mahala wrote:Human genetic messing-arounds or nature's hand?
Two words;

PEAR TREES.

Pear trees are obtained by grafting onto the stems of apple trees.

Genetic engineering by man. But I bet you still eat pears.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:29 am

Not to mention that all the apples on the world's market are genetically engineered. 100 years ago, we only had a few breeds of apple. Now we have many.
Pliny the Elder, a Roman statesman, circa 23 CE, described 37 different varieties of cultivated apples in his Historia naturalis. By the first century CE apples were being cultivated in every region throughout the Rhine Valley. Apple cultivation was gathering momentum. By the year 1640, horticulturist Parkinson noted 60 varieties, by 1669 the count was up to 92 varieties, and by 1866 Downing's Fruits notes 643 different cultivars.
found here

Is it possible to have non man-made food anymore? I'm not so sure. Even if I go out and buy a crab apple or apple tree for my own use in my cabin (which I will be) chances are that it is still man-made.

If they did this to apples, and dogs, what else have they done it to?
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:32 am

We have been cross pollinating plants for thousands of years, to breed in the traits we want and get rid of the traits we do want. (Have you every seen what corn looked like before genetic manipulation - very small and not much to it). The same for domestic animals. BUT nature has done the same, just by different rules...survival of the fittest, etc.

I don't know if its right or wrong (I'm not even sure if that is a valid question). We alter our environment simply by existing, and change is the natural state of the Universe. I do think we need to walk softly, some changes come with dire consequents further down the road.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:14 pm

There was a debate going on in one of my other forums about the role of humans vs human nature, and what makes what humans do "unnatural." Would be a great new thread to discuss, if anyone is up for it ;)
Crazy Healer Lady

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:04 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:There was a debate going on in one of my other forums about the role of humans vs human nature, and what makes what humans do "unnatural." Would be a great new thread to discuss, if anyone is up for it ;)
Go for it! ;)

Post the link here, so we can find it. :-D