Soy Milk, Not Cow's Milk!

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
gwmRNpozSC
Level 1
Level 1

I love organic, but.....

Post by gwmRNpozSC » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:27 am

I love organic, but....truth is, my budget won't allow for 100% organic, even if I could find it. Sadly, it's limited here to (some) dairy products, and (some) produce (and that is limited to a few vegetables - seen no organic fruit in my area).

There again, there's no legal definition of "organic," and lots of things are labeled "organic" but really don't qualify. (Or so have I read, anyway.)
RoBeRt., the OfFiCiAl ReGiStErEd Nut.
Loris, South Carolina, USA.

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:56 am

As an organic farmer I can say that as long as the food you buy is "Certified Organic" it is organic.

As far as availability is concerned: I think EVERYBODY should grow some of their food themselves.
This may vary a lot depending on the climate zone you are in, and on your living arrangements.
But, be it some parsley and chives in a pot on your windowsill, or a large garden that produces food for a whole family, main thing is that we all do grow some of our food ourselves.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:51 am

gwmRNpozSC wrote:PS - Do NOT use soy for hot coffee! "Soy milk" does NOT like doing that. You'll ruin your coffee!!!!!
I must disagree with this one. I actually found a soy milk I could stomach - vanilla silk - and I find it actually makes my coffee taste better than regular milk, though not as good as a nice heavy cream <(^o^)>
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

gwmRNpozSC
Level 1
Level 1

Organic? (Confused.)

Post by gwmRNpozSC » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:00 pm

Rain ForestMoon wrote:As an organic farmer I can say that as long as the food you buy is "Certified Organic" it is organic.
But what does "organic" really mean?

If I were to find "organic" beef, would it mean that the cow did not have antibiotics and hormones given to it?

Would it mean that the feed given to the cow was also organic? If it wasn't, is the cow still organic?

Everything I see in my neck of the woods that says "organic" says "Organic," but does not say "certified" on it. So, is it, or is it not, organic? Or is it a ploy to make me pay more?
RoBeRt., the OfFiCiAl ReGiStErEd Nut.
Loris, South Carolina, USA.

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Organic? (Confused.)

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:27 pm

gwmRNpozSC wrote: But what does "organic" really mean?
When we talk "Certified Organic" we are talking about food produced according to a certain set of production guidelines.
Copies of these standards are available on the websites of certifying and government websites. In the USA the USDA has a very comprehensive standard for production, as do the Soil Association in the UK and ACO in Australia. The European Union also has standards, on which the many European Certifiers base their standards.

In essence, the standards are almost identical, with very minor varyations, often to do with local and/or climatic conditions.

There is a lot more involved with growing food organically than just not using certain chemical substances. If you are sufficiently, have a look at the standards.
gwmRNpozSC wrote: If I were to find "organic" beef, would it mean that the cow did not have antibiotics and hormones given to it?

Would it mean that the feed given to the cow was also organic? If it wasn't, is the cow still organic?
No synthetic Antibiotics and Hormones permitted.
Cattle, being animals, do produce their own natural hormones, just as we Humans do. With Antibiotics, same applies. Of course the farmer can't administer Antibiotics. But if the animal eats certain plants and/or fungi that have antibiotic properties, that's part of their natural diet.

Also, Organic Standards make great demands on the farmer in the department of animal welfare, so in essence, we are drinking the milk and eating the meat of "Happy Cows".

Of course, if a Cow, Chicken, Pig etc is not eating Certified Organic Pasture and Grain, it will not be able to sold as Certified Organic Meat.
gwmRNpozSC wrote:
Everything I see in my neck of the woods that says "organic" says "Organic," but does not say "certified" on it. So, is it, or is it not, organic? Or is it a ploy to make me pay more?
I am not familiar first-hand with the situation in the USA, so I can't comment.

This used to be a problem in Australia, but by now most consumers are sufficiently educated to make sure they look for Certification.

In Europe I believe that there is legislation that ensures integrity.

(Come to think of it, I think in the USA there is in some State Laws that deal with this, California does come to mind...)

Grow some food of your own, if you can. To me, eating what you have grown yourself gives the food a different spiritual property. We "modern" humans have become so far removed from our roots that some don't even know where food comes from (other than from a packet or plastic container....)

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:29 pm

Growing your own food is a great idea, except that I just killed a mint plant and a Basil plant and a small cactus.

I should never never be allowed children. Maybe carrots I can do, I think they are tough to mess up.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:50 pm

My garden was pitiful this year. I TOTALLY forgot that Tomato plants require shade and that onions actually DO need weeded!

However, that said, my carrots were the freaking Terminator of my garden! No matter WHAT happened, those suckers grew!

I was plucking edible carrots in Late October!

Sigh, Next spring, my tomatoes are going into portable tubs and my onions are being planted in ROWS!

:-? :-?

I'm not exactly the best with plants...but I'm working on it.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:28 am

Kystar, try beets!!

We've had them planted since Spring. It is winter now, and when the ground thaws there will still be beets that are edible. They keep well, too! Not to mention beet greens... yummy!!

Those are crazy carrots you have! I can't seem to get mine to last too long - that may be because our dogs keep digging them up and eating them, and now my niece!!! O_O
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:18 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Kystar, try beets!!
That would be workable if anyone in my house ATE the silly things!

LOL...yeah, our area is weird. There was a lot of coal mining, so every now and then, you'll dig up a piece of coal in the garden...or clay so thick you can use it for pottery. Sigh.

We're working on making the garden work.

LOL.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

WildIrishGypsy
Level 1
Level 1

Rice Milk

Post by WildIrishGypsy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:26 am

I am lactose intolerant, I drink rice milk. Its yummy.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:04 am

Oh I love rice milk. Too expensive, but yummy.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

yellowbirch
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Taurus

Re: Soy Milk, Not Cow's Milk!

Post by yellowbirch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:56 am

Okay, i see this discussion is from awhile ago, but I thought I would add some info on my part. I was a vegetarian for about 6-7 years, and found out that soy was not good for me at all. If anyone has thyroid problems (I didn't know at the thime that I did), should avoid soy products or atleast do the research for yourself. I realized that I am sensitive to cows milk as well. I eat alot of goat milk yogurt and feel really good afterwards, energy wise.
I also agree that all them vegetarian soy products are not as good as the real thing and way tooo processed. I believe it is all about balance. You need to find what is good for YOU and your body. It is amazing to see the news articles coming up with all these different theories and then people go NUTS! I really like to try to stick to local seasonal foods and balance out free range meat from local areas in my diet, if the resources are available.
But anyway, I don't think anyone can tell others what to eat. Just maybe voice your experiences and thoughts.

many blessings of love and nourishment~
If our life is in a process of continual recreation, how can one dream of the future~

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:15 am

yellowbirch wrote:Okay, i see this discussion is from awhile ago, but I thought I would add some info on my part. I was a vegetarian for about 6-7 years, and found out that soy was not good for me at all. If anyone has thyroid problems (I didn't know at the thime that I did), should avoid soy products or atleast do the research for yourself. I realized that I am sensitive to cows milk as well. I eat alot of goat milk yogurt and feel really good afterwards, energy wise.
I also agree that all them vegetarian soy products are not as good as the real thing and way tooo processed. I believe it is all about balance. You need to find what is good for YOU and your body. It is amazing to see the news articles coming up with all these different theories and then people go NUTS! I really like to try to stick to local seasonal foods and balance out free range meat from local areas in my diet, if the resources are available.
But anyway, I don't think anyone can tell others what to eat. Just maybe voice your experiences and thoughts.

many blessings of love and nourishment~
You might want to try rice milk or almond milk. After trying it, I am a fan of Almond milk.
But we all know how I feel about cow's milk (as of 3 years ago) :lol:

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

lacielonestar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lacielonestar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:33 am

My boyfriend refuses to even TRY soymilk. He calls it "bean juice".

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Put it in desserts, or sneak it in ;) I use it as a last resort, but unless my SO can give me a *good* reason why not to try it (allergies, religion, etc) I sneak it in, ask how it tastes, and spill the beans.

He's really good at trying new foods, though, now thanks to me.

Use the same proportions as cowmilk. Pumpkin pie tastes amazing with vanilla soy or almond milk - coconut or rice milk make it a bit watery, though.

They say soy isn't good for you. I'm all for people eating what is right for them, though. I'll rant and rave about how much I love my food, but if you like meat and cheese and cow or goat milk, yay, awesome, good for you :) However, come to me looking to lose weight or heal, and I'll give my recommendation.
Crazy Healer Lady