Soy Milk, Not Cow's Milk!

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Post Reply
User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Soy Milk, Not Cow's Milk!

Post by Silver Spider » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:43 pm

Greetings,

The healthy alternative to cow's milk is soy milk. I strongly reccomend that everyone eliminate cow's milk from their diet. If you can't avoid cow's milk, then just reduce your intake of it.

Some of you may ask, "What's wrong with cow's milk?" When you drink or eat it, your body does not break down that substance. It travels through your body and finds its way to your brain. Once its up in your brain, it causes swelling within the brain! At times it's like having a bad headache! It could be very depressing!

Now some of you may say, "Wait a minute! I've eaten cheese, had cow's milk with my cereal, enjoyed a pizza, and have even drank it straight. I haven't had any problems due to cow's milk." I hear you, I've eaten cow's milk many times in life, but you know what? Our bodies' adapt to many things that are unhealthy for us. That's a fact. Guess how I know this?

For little under one year (I'd guess it was for 10 to 11 months) I went vegetarian. I don't think I can say I went vegan. That's just too hard. When I first heard how cow's milk was bad, I considerably reduced my intake. (In truth, I had already reduced my intake of cow's milk on my own.) I went on a low fat, high protein diet. My major source of protein was tofu. I also made sure that I got some other necessary fruits and vegetables: cucumbers, onions, celery, eggplant, spinach, apple, and pear. There was almost no cow's milk in my diet, and I went down one size in my pants. :) (The loss of weight was due to the low fat, high protein, and apple cider vinegar-not so much due to the elimination of cow's milk.) I discontinued my strict diet, and let up a little. I went back to my old size. :( More to the point though, as I allow myself a little more cow's milk, guess what happened? I felt the cow's milk in my brain! I had some headaches! Not a good feeling!

So I still try to keep cow's milk at a low level. I buy soy milk, and try to avoid things that contain cow's milk. There are specialty stores (like Whole Food Markets) that sell soy items like soy sausage, soy cheese, soy ice cream, etc. I know only one specialty grocery store near my home, and if I'm on that side of town, I try to remember to stop by there to get a few things that the regular stores don't offer.

Oh, I almost forgot. If you do avoid Soymilk, make sure you some calcium in your diet. Learn which foods have calcium in them, or buy some capsules/tablets at your local vitamin/drug store. That will help. I always take a multivitamin before I go to bed.

I hope you choose to stay away from cow's milk, if you haven't already done so.

Good Health

User avatar
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Zodiac: Aries
Contact:

Post by Lotus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:43 am

Soy is not as healthy as people think it is....in fact, It is found to cause or intensify women's problems. It depends on your body chemistry but, soy can alter moods in a bad way.
Personally, I use both soy products and milk products in moderation. The thing I find that really effects weight right away is cutting out all soda pop including diet ones.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

User avatar
Librarian
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Tustin, CA
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Post by Librarian » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:21 am

I can't have cow's milk, and have had to use soy. There are some things, though, that just aren't the same. Ice Cream, Chai latte, etc. When steamed, cow's milk turns sweet, s if you're making a cappuccino, you need to use either vanilla soy milk, or the real thing... :cry:

User avatar
Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:44 am

Milk and Soy: two of my pet subjects.

Milk, at its best, comes straight from a cow, is chilled by immersing a jar of it into the cold water from a mountain spring, and then you drink it - a true gift from the gods.

Soy Milk, even at its best, is the product of an industrial manufacturing process. After whatever needed is extracted from soya beans all sorts flavour enhancers, stabilisers and preservatives are added. Not exactly what I would call a natural product.

One of the reasons why more and more people cannot tolerate milk is the fact that the substance you buy as milk in your supermarket bears very little resemblance to the natural article. It will have been pasturised, homogenised, sometimes even ultra-pasturised. The fat content will have been tampered with, some things might have been added or removed. And, if you buy milk in the USA the cows will be living in a sort of a feed-lot, without access to green pasture.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get real raw (un-pasturised) milk, which is a true health food. Otherwise it might be a good idea to stay away from the stuff.

The problem with soy (and not just soy-milk) is two-fold:
Firsly soy is actually an anti-nutrient, in that it contains a substance that reduces your body's effectiveness of absorbing vital trace-elements from the food you eat. This effect kicks in at an intake of about 40grams of soy per day (i think that is about 1 1/2 ounces). And because soy is used in almost every food you eat as an ingredient (yes, it is even in bread) most people eating the average western diet already get that much anyway.
The second problem is that soy contains compounds that act very similar to the hormone estrogen once the soy gets metabolized, which can lead to all sorts of un-intended effects.


Just getting back to milk and looking at it from a pagan perspective (rather than a health one):
I am sure it is no co-incidence that the cow is sacred for Hindus, and also has sacred or at least revered status in some northern and Germanic traditions. It is because the cow is a true sustainer of life. Look at the Hindus. of course they don't eat the meat, but they do get milk, yogurt, butter and ghee from cows. And anyone who has ever lived or visited alpine areas, where nothing much else than grass grows, realises that cows are the obvious way of turning this grass into food for people.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

User avatar
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am
Location: White Oak, PA
Zodiac: Cancer
Contact:

Post by Kystar » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:19 am

Personally, I don't drink milk that often...I don't care for the flavor.

However, I eat cheese A LOT, and I prefer cheeses that were made more naturally, closer to the old ways.

I don't think a product that goes through something like 5 manufacturing steps is healthier than something that you can see the start product and the end product resembling each other.

"Healthy" in my world is "Prounoucable" when I look at the ingredients list. That's why I'm learning to make bread and am growing a veggie garden.

Just my 2 coppers! :-)
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

User avatar
Librarian
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Tustin, CA
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Post by Librarian » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:10 am

Mmmmmm..... Cheese!

I found an interesting fact the other day.

American cheeses are not aged very long. In fact, they can't be by law.

European aged cheeses have apparently gone through a process during the lengthy aging period that converts the lactose. Once they've been aged, lactose-intolerant people, like me, can eat them almost without worry.

User avatar
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am
Location: White Oak, PA
Zodiac: Cancer
Contact:

Post by Kystar » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:42 am

Yeah, Stupid FDA won't allow certain types of cheese to be properly made because of the slim chance of "Contagian"

My answer to that is: We've lived HOW MANY CENTURIES without them meddling in food? Yes, I know, we are a lot healthier now than then, but please, give me a break. Centuries of cheesemaking and cooking has to be changed because in the last 50 to 100 years people have become TERRIFIED of germs. GET A GRIP!

The human race is going to "Sanitize" intself into extintion!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

User avatar
Ferre
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:15 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Ferre » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:55 am

Most soy milk is made of genetic manipulated soy. Stay away from anything genetically manipulated. Go for food that is natural and authentic I'd say.

User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Post by Silver Spider » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:50 pm

(There are two White, two Light Blue, one Cyan, and one Purple candles lit while typing this response. White is to Know, Blue is Loftiness and Friendship, Cyan ?, and Purple means Spirituality, Truth, and Respect.)
Rain ForestMoon wrote:Milk, at its best, comes straight from a cow, is chilled by immersing a jar of it into the cold water from a mountain spring, and then you drink it - a true gift from the gods.

One of the reasons why more and more people cannot tolerate milk is the fact that the substance you buy as milk in your supermarket bears very little resemblance to the natural article.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get real raw (un-pasturised) milk, which is a true health food. Otherwise it might be a good idea to stay away from the stuff.
NO! Whether it's directly from the udder of a cow or any kind of cow's milk you can buy at your grocery store–I urge all of you(no matter where you live) NOT to drink the cow's milk! Cow's milk itself is BAD! Stay away from it completely, or if you can't do that, then keep it at a low level within your diet. NOT all things natural are good for you! I'm telling all of you, our bodies adapt to many negative things in life, and the cow's milk is no exception.

I'll give you more real life examples of how I know that cow's milk is bad. You've probably read my original first post on this topic, if you haven't, then you can read that. When I was younger, I drank cow's milk quite often. As I began to drink too much of it, that milk just sat in my stomach. You know what happened? I coughed up a curd of that stuff, and even vomitted the milk when I drank too much. Another example I can tell you about is the milk shake. I used to drink milk shakes all the time. I loved them. It was my favorite drink. During my youth, if we ate at a fastfood restaurant, (and that was quite often) I'd frequently ask for a strawberry or chocolate milk shake (sometimes I asked for Coca-Cola.) Now examine a milk shake-it's ice cream, cow's milk from a carton, and some other sweetener all blended in. It's thick and creamy, isn't it? Guess what happened? The milk stayed in my stomach, and then made it's way up to my brain. The swelling of the brain felt incredibely bad. Believe me when I say those headaches last several minutes! Is it just me? NO. I would drink a milk shake and have a headache (Cause Karma) and then I would hear someone else say, "Ohhh, my head hurts! (sometimes even cry) Damn it! Why won't this headache go away??" Someone would ask that person things like were you near something toxic? Did you eat something rotten? And then he/she would say, "No, I just had a hamburger and a milk shake. I don't know why I get these headaches. This happened the other day, but I didn't even eat any food, except for that milk shake." (Effect Karma) I gradually began to leave the milk shake behind, but I didn't know until many years later that the cause of this was the cow's milk.

Some of you may say, "Well maybe you're lactose intolerant." I'll tell you this: EVERYONE ON THE PLANET IS LACTOSE INTOLERANT! The lives you have seen or heard as lactose intolerant are just a little more sensitive to the cow's milk than the rest of us are.

So PLEASE!!! Do NOT drink cow's milk! If you drink or eat it (as in cheese), do so sparingly. I know it tastes good, but it's unhealthy for all of us! Avoiding or limiting the intake of cow's milk may require a little self-discipline, and it's worth it!


As for soy milk...I know that beans, legumes, and soybeans, when properly prepared and cooked, are healthy for you. They provide that all important protein that our bodies need. Perhaps if we were to have soy milk without industrial tampering, it would be ok to drink? I don't know, but I do drink it, and it provides protein. At times I can feel the protein going to work in my body. My body begins to warm up, which is nice on those cold mornings. I also know that it's healthy to have a diet rich in protein. It's made a difference in my health! However the response to soy milk does concern me, and I know I'd better learn a little more about it.

Rain ForestMoon wrote:Just getting back to milk and looking at it from a pagan perspective (rather than a health one):
I am sure it is no co-incidence that the cow is sacred for Hindus, and also has sacred or at least revered status in some northern and Germanic traditions. It is because the cow is a true sustainer of life. Look at the Hindus. of course they don't eat the meat, but they do get milk, yogurt, butter and ghee from cows. And anyone who has ever lived or visited alpine areas, where nothing much else than grass grows, realises that cows are the obvious way of turning this grass into food for people.
If what you say is true (I'm not knowledgeable of Indian history and beliefs) then yes, I can see how it could be so revered. Although I'd ask why they were there in the first place if it's such a barren land? The answer is probably in some history book somewhere.

However, the fact remains that cow's milk is bad. Remember, our bodies adapt to negativity, so avoid cow's milk when possible.

User avatar
2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:49 am
Location: atop a pile of dirty laundry
Contact:

Post by 2Crunchy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:06 pm

Silver Spider wrote: I'll tell you this: EVERYONE ON THE PLANET IS LACTOSE INTOLERANT! The lives you have seen or heard as lactose intolerant are just a little more sensitive to the cow's milk than the rest of us are.
Whoa! Back the train up. You can't make such a sweeping statement (especially without some kind of documentation). Infants and small children ARE NOT lactose intolerant. They can't be. There is lactose in human milk and they are born with the ability to digest that lactose. However, by around the age of seven the majority of children lose that ability. Why? Because they don't need it anymore. After they have weaned they don't need to be able to digest lactose.

Doesn't it seem odd to you guys that we are the only animals on the planet that 1) drink the milk of another species (without the express need of fostering) and 2) see the need to do it beyond infancy? This cannot be natural.

I will admit that I do enjoy ice cream, so maybe I am being a little hypocritical. But knowing and doing are two different things. :-?
Come to the Dark Side.....
We have cookies! :)

User avatar
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Zodiac: Aries
Contact:

Post by Lotus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:46 pm

I've heard staunch vegans make the claim that humans were not meant to eat meat because we lack the enzymes of other animals. This is to justify their adjenda.

Milk not good for you....hogwash.

My grandmother ate red meat and drank milk along with a healthy dose of veggies and she lived a healthier life than I do.
Everything she ate was homecooked and proportioned correctly and I rarely saw her eat sweets or processed crap. Her idea of a sweet treat was putting some orange marmalade on her toast. For that matter, I rarely ever saw her drink soda.
I did aquire her bad habit of coffee since sunday breakfast at her house was oven toasted bread with orange marmalade served with coffee (even when I was little).

The point: all of the things deemed "unhealthy" she did which, leads me to conclude that a modest portion of dairy, meats, veggies, fruits, and sweets are the bet choice instead of the modern diet of hydrogogenated-processess-hyper-extracted crap. [-X

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

User avatar
Librarian
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Tustin, CA
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Post by Librarian » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:03 pm

Lotus wrote:I've heard staunch vegans make the claim that humans were not meant to eat meat because we lack the enzymes of other animals.
Apparently they've never watched Animal Planet. Gorillas eat meat on a semi-regular basis, and chimps do whenever they can catch it.

User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Post by Silver Spider » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:36 am

2Crunchy wrote:Infants and small children ARE NOT lactose intolerant. They can't be. There is lactose in human milk and they are born with the ability to digest that lactose.

:!::!::!: COW'S MILK IS MEANT FOR CALVES.:!::!::!: HUMAN'S MILK IS MEANT FOR HUMAN BABIES.:!::!::!: So of course human babies are going to be able to digest it! That's NORMAL! That's NATURAL! If it's any milk other than a human's, then it's not meant for you (or baby!)

Women must breast feed their babies. To make up for the calcium, make sure baby receives bone meal. Mother could take magnesium and calcium supplements. Take calcium in bone meal; two or three tablets, before you go to bed. (Don't ask me how I know this; I'll just say that I heard it from someone long ago.)

Remember: We humans adapt to many negative things in life! Our bodies can take on many rough things at any age.

Perhaps my statement that lead to your response needs minor modification.
2Crunchy wrote:But knowing and doing are two different things. :-?
YES and NO. I understand how that can be true. However, I also know that can be false. Here's something I always see underneath Kystar's responses, it's actually a quote from Cervantes: "La Experiencia es la Madre de la Ciencia." For those of you who haven't studied Spanish, the literal translation is, "[The] Experience is the Mother of [the] Science." Science means Knowledge. When you experience something, it could easily be doing and knowing all at the same time. Experiencing knowledge is very important! I didn't tell you my experience with the cow's milk for nothing! I spend time trying to tell you the Truth, so you may help yourself and others.


Lotus wrote:Milk not good for you....hogwash.
Do you know what I say to that? [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
[Cow's] MILK IS BAD FOR YOU!! THIS IS NOT HOGWASH.

Do you not feel the TRUTH of my words, Lotus? Have my experiences fallen onto blind eyes? I understand if you don't like what you read, especially if you're truly feeling the Truth right now (I don't know how high your spiritual level was at the time of your response.) But I speak the Truth.
Lotus wrote:My grandmother ate red meat and drank milk along with a healthy dose of veggies and she lived a healthier life than I do.
As I wrote earlier in this topic, avoid cow's milk if possible, but if you can't do that, then keep it at a low level. Our bodies literally adapt to negative things, inside and out.

Lotus, believe me when I say my dinners weren't the healthiest growing up. It was either unhealthy fatty fast-food or frozen dinners microwaved. Many Americans-including myself-should be DEAD. What's kept us alive? The Other Side. All those archetypes (angels) are busy performing maintenance on our bodies until we're truly ready to die and pass over to the Other Side (Home.)
Lotus wrote:The point: all of the things deemed "unhealthy" she did which, leads me to conclude that a modest portion of dairy, meats, veggies, fruits, and sweets are the bet choice instead of the modern diet of hydrogogenated-processess-hyper-extracted crap.
Minuse the cow's milk, that's fine! However we must eat intelligently. For example, don't eat beef day in and day out. Stick to a low-fat diet. If you know how to eat SAFELY, you can skip fat altogether, but make sure you know! I'd recommend spinach, onions, celery, tofu, and beans anytime for veggies. For fruits, I'd say pears and apples are good fruits. Avoid chocolate! (Chocolate is for another topic.)

I hope I've cleared a few things. [-o<

User avatar
Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:57 am

Silver Spider wrote:I'll tell you this: EVERYONE ON THE PLANET IS LACTOSE INTOLERANT!
Not so.

I am a member of a Germanic tribe that settled in the alpine region of Europe just over 1500 years ago. Due to climatic conditions the area is very suitable for cows, but not so much for other food production. So for at least the last 50 generations before me my ancestors had most of their fat intake and protein intake from milk, cheese and butter.

If everyone on this planet were lactose intolerant our tribe would long ago have vanished due to the laws of natural selection.


A point I would like to make about your bad experiences with hamburgers and thick-shakes (note that they are called THICK, and not MILK, because there is preciously little milk in them) from McMerde (or a similar establishment):
It would be more reasonable to conclude that you (and I mean you personally, not everyone on the planet) should stay away from hamburgers and thick-shakes, or possibly that you should stay away from McMerde altogether.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

User avatar
Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:57 am

Lotus wrote:
The point: all of the things deemed "unhealthy" she did which, leads me to conclude that a modest portion of dairy, meats, veggies, fruits, and sweets are the bet choice instead of the modern diet of hydrogogenated-processess-hyper-extracted crap.
I am 100% in agreement with that. Old traditional foods are best.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest