Witchschool.com

We have a large directory of links and more being submitted all the time. Here we can discuss those submissions.

Witch School - good or bad?

Good
25%
Bad
75%

Total votes: 16

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Witchschool.com

Post by Paganlight » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:30 pm

www.witchschool.com

Good or bad? Let's hear what you think...
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:37 pm

In my opinion, anything that you can learn 'on line' or 'on CD' you can just as easily, and with less bias, teach yourself simply by canvasing the web for free information, buying a few books and meditating or journeying for help/answers. I feel that if you can't have a real live person to teach you, that YOU and your deity(s) are the best teachers, sprinkled with a little input and advice from online communities/friends as needed - not some "I'm gonna get rich off of this" web site.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:42 pm

I agree with Stormy...
My personal and unadulterated opinion (which is easy in my grumpy mood) is that it sucks.
"Learn Hollywood Wiccanism and play "Light as a feather stiff as a board" like they do in the Craft!"
Okay that is mean and pretty harsh. Without actually taking a course I cannot really make a good opinion, but anything like this really turns me off. It reminds me of those ads on the back of comics: "Send $25 and we will send you a certificate for becoming a warlock!" My friend became a priest with an online thing that was really cheesy and he holds it high above everyones' heads. It reminds me of that. But prove me wrong. ^_^ I may just be blinded by my extreme grumpiness, which is entirely possible.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:22 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit....iffy about it. But I've signed up for the basic (free) course, just to get a taster. I've taken the first lesson and test in Introduction to Psychic Development - They do seem to know what they're talking about.

"The course consists of five lessons listed below.
1) Introduction
2) Chakras / aura
3) Meditation
4) Psychic self defense
5) Psychic attack "

And there is an email adress available if I want to speak to someone for clarification...I'll take the rest of the course (the next test is available in 6 days) and let you know how it goes. I'm actually finding it really interesting, as a supplement to my own research. I wouldn't pay for the so-called 'benefits' though.

As a taster, here's the first paragraph from the second lesson:

"Science has proven the existence of atoms, the smallest building block of all matter. Atoms are composed of three sub-atomic particles each having a unique electrical charge to it. Protons have a positive charge. Neutrons have a neutral charge. Electrons have a negative charge. It is through the interactions of these sub-atomic particles that all the necessary chemical reactions for life occur. That potential for a chemical reaction to occur is a form of energy. Heat, light, and sound are other forms of energy. Everything is made up of energy. Rocks, trees, and animals are composed of energy. All have energy radiating from them to form spheres of energy around their physical bodies termed auras. Auras are like the halos you see around moon sometimes."
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Sounds entirely dodgy to me.
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:37 pm

Really, it sounds like they gathered up info from about 7 different books and cramed it together.

I wouldn't trust them.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:03 pm

Yeah, I dunno, I just have always disliked the whole idea that someone has to TEACH you what to believe. I believe that something as personal as spiritual beliefs is not something that should be taught like a science class, but rather discovered individually. Hence why I prefer books. You can read them and take what you need and leave what you don't need, or whatever doesn't feel "right" for you. It's always been my experience that when someone tries to teach you something, it's their way or no way at all. Same for internet courses. Not to mention, anyone can create one of those online courses, so there's no telling if they actually have any REAL credibility. Just my opinion though. :-)
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:50 pm

Yes!!
often you have to believe all of it or none of it. No religion is right. I can guarantee that whatever any of you believe, it is not what is right. But that does not matter. As long as it is right for YOU, that is what matters.
A little off-topic but that is all right, methink.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:15 am

No, I agree, it's whatever feels right for you!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:36 pm

Ha, sorry, last night I was in a strange mood and went off on a crazy rant.
Just an apologetic post because I got the feeling you thought it was, urm, hostile :oops: It was a crazy rant. :D
Crazy Healer Lady

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm tired of people using religion (anyone's religion) as a means to make money.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:26 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Ha, sorry, last night I was in a strange mood and went off on a crazy rant.
Just an apologetic post because I got the feeling you thought it was, urm, hostile :oops: It was a crazy rant. :D
*huggles* not at all! I neither support nor disagree with this site, though I do strongly agree with Lotus - What does the rede say:
"When you have and hold a need,
Hearken not to other's greed..."

So for a site which claims to teach Wicca, they are going against the Rede....*sigh*

If they had this information up for free, merely as essays, and not having to take tests (point of that is......???) then I think some of it could actually be quite useful, but the fact it is advertised as a 'school' makes it sound like their 'lessons' are the only way to learn. I think for someone wanting to learn more, and who knows that what's right is what is right for you, as CHL says, it may be useful. I've learnt a little from the free lesson I took, and found it quite useful, but I''m taking it with a pinch of salt, and I know it's by no means the only place to get info from, and no way would I PAY anything for these 'courses'!

I thin it's a bit... :^o

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:04 am

I'm not really going to say Ye or Ne on this. I don't have their curriculum to review nor do I know their methods. However I will say this:

Everyone learns a little differently. If they have good curriculum and the cost isn't too much more than a few books, I say to each their own. To this I will add, if they have a mentor program or something like that, then that would be a check in their favor, because it is always good to have guides.

One other note, the rede is modern, not ancient. A lot of pagan and magickal paths don't go by the rede. The rede is not a universal law unless you believe in it. However, that said, what goes around does eventually come around, so it's best to be aware of this and try and act accordingly. Personally, I don't follow the rede but instead I follow my own moral guidelines, which is summarized basically by "Do all things with honor".

Now, if these folks are just cramming a mish-mash of wicca info together and selling it off with nothing else, then I agree, it's a bad thing.

I will reserve judgement though until I've seen their materials.

Wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:45 am

I believe the cost is something like $30 for a lifetime membership....something like that, anyway.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:54 am

$30... Not too bad. Does that include the courses and such, too? Or are those extra?
Crazy Healer Lady