Lawnwork

For all with green thumbs and a few stray weeds out there...
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Lawnwork

Post by Kitsune » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:04 pm

So, me and my husband bought some sod, some grass seed, and some grass fertalizer in an attempt to edge out those pesky weeds. Before we could start putting down the sod though, we needed to remove the very thick concrete slabs that served as a walkway first. Seemed like a simple proposal at the time.

Well, we got the first four slabs off and found another ant colony... or perhaps it was another section of the one we originally thought we killed. Anyway, there were quite a few eggs but we drown them and then started taking out the rest of the colony. Then today we took out the rest of the slabs. Imagine our surprise and horror to find out that the hive was actually under pretty much six of the slabs in total. We took out no less than four distinct hatcheries. Hell, the eggs were so close to the slabs that there wasn't even a layer of dirt separating them anymore!

***Shiver***

Hideous! I'll all for live and let live, but that big an ant hill needs to be taken care of.

Anyways, we'll see tomorrow if we got all or most of them... we're holding off on planting the grass or removing anymore of the ground around there until it dries a bit, and we can tell what we're dealing with. Hopefully, most of the issue will be gone and dealt with now!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Lawnwork

Post by Kystar » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Urgh, nasty!

We discovered that we can't rake down the dirt from the plumbing fix...have to move it with a shovel! gah!

Houses are FUN, aren't they?
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:11 pm

At least they weren't in your computer equipment :-D
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:28 am

Kerosene and a Lighter is a quick fix, Kits.
I hope I don't offend you by saying that and it may be cruel... But it will kill almost every ant in the Colony when it destroys the Oxygen in the tunnelways. Also you have the fact that most of them will go up in flames and that Kerosene is poisenous to the Ants in an area.

It's not like they have a Population problem though! O.o

-Hytegia
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 pm

My only problem with that is kerosene and any other poison can leak into underground waterways and get into streams. I'm not sure how the land is layed out in Alberta, but in BC, that poses a huge problem. Even small amounts of toxic stuff can affect a spawning area, and salmon are already in dire conditions, population-wise. Doesn't help that meth labs are pouring their run-off into streams... :evil:

An alternative would be vinegar, baking soda (not together), or the suggestions on this site, or on this one.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Yeah... Personally, I was kind of appauled at the idea of using Kerosene.... While it will burn, It will also poison the land. Not quite the "environmentally friendly" thing to do.

Me and my husband will deal with the problem somehow. We're also thinking that we might just dig up the area. Figure out what to do other than burn them out with scalding water.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:13 am

I think you can use a phosphate free detergent and water (half and half) stick your shovel as far in as it will go and pour a giant bucket. That is what my old next door neighbor used to do and her lawn always came back perfectly
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Crazy actually just gave me a great website. I think we're going to end up using rice. According to the website they eat the rice, fill up on it, take it back and the next time they drink water it expands and kills them... Much the same reason why you don't use rice at weddings anymore.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:37 am

Good idea!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:18 pm

We're watering the area quite thoughly right now, since we threw the sod on... We didn't have as much as I thought though. Only enough to cover the area from our flagstones.

However, when we're not watering it everyday to make sure it doesn't dry out, I'll let you all know how it works out.