Gardening

For all with green thumbs and a few stray weeds out there...
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Gardening

Post by Kitsune » Mon May 25, 2009 6:36 pm

Okay, so as I've mentioned before, I'm going to be moving into a place with a little backyard... Eastern Facing, with a 3-4 ft fence on the eastern most side, and a house on the other. My husband said that he would let me try my hand at growing plants outside... And I think I'd like to give it a try.

Besides Strawberry's what veggies (or fruits) would you suggest for a temperate climate, where it'll only get sun from 9am to 3pm each day? I was thinking of the staples of carrots, and perhaps garlic since I love it... But I don't even know if thhey grow here?

Suggestions from you green thumb types would be vastly appreciated!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Gardening

Post by Kystar » Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm

That would probably be considered "Mostly Sun", so any plant that has that designation will probably grow.

Tomatoes would work, as they are adaptable plants.

A word of warning about garlic...plant it somewhere that you either don't care if it spreads or that you can use some sort of in-ground border or blocker to keep it from spreading. My grandmother planted garlic at the edge of her garden and for the next four years, she was pulling it out of the other plants and out of the yard. Oregano, Mint, Marjoram and Catnip will do this too...Mother-in-law planted a small patch of Oregano, and by the end of the summer 1/4 of her yard was taken over by it!

I'd say, write down what you'd LIKE to plant, then look it up to see if it will survive in your yard based on your landscape.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Mon May 25, 2009 7:09 pm

You can also do melons, watermelon, cantelope, etc. However, like garlic, it can go a bit wild, so you have to pay attention. Pumpkin will also probably do well. So will cucumbers and various lettuces. Spinich I'm not sure about, but you could try.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 pm

I saw a picture in a gardening book once of a pumpkin that climbed UP a shed and plopped its orange bounty on the ROOF!

Surprisingly enough, this is becoming a "Thing" in some parts of the world...esp places with limited sun or limited ground space.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon May 25, 2009 8:57 pm

Carrots, beans, peas, BEETS (will go VERY well especially since you guys frost early), asparagus??, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, corn, pumpkin. I wouldn't recommend tomatoes unless you make little greenhouses out of plastic for them :) But, it may be warm enough for them. For herbs, I would recommend pots, except for herbs that are guaranteed to stay put (or at least are easy to control), like lavendar or sage.

What is the soil like? Clay/sandy/rich?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Mon May 25, 2009 8:59 pm

If you want to have fun and get decorative with the herbs, get the multi-opening teracotta pots that are like standing vases. You can make some really pretty and highly effective herb gardens that way. Also adds a bit of beauty and flair in a way that beds of herbs just don't. :-D
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed May 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll keep in mind what you all said. I haven't been able to check out the earth yet, so I don't if it's sandy, or clay filled or what. I saw it about 2 months ago, for a few minutes, but you can't tell much from just a look (or at least, I can't). I don't know what I'll be able to do this growing season. since I won't even get there until after Solstice.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get in one harvest season, since our weather is staying warmer later in the year. Thank you for all your suggestions though! I'm still thinking garlic and green onions if I can find a way to separate them somewhat and stop the insane growth cycle.

I hadn't considered Oregano, but I would love to have that. Some cucumber wouldn't go awry either... I will check out the first week I'm there exactly how much sun we get on which parts of the yard. Hopefully, we'll have a good amount of light. I was considering an apple tree, but I don't think the condo board will let me since it'll cross into other peoples yards too easily. :-(
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu May 28, 2009 3:36 am

It is possible to grow root vegetables, your onions, in pots if you don't want them going crazy. Perhaps you could grow some other root vegetables in your garden such as potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc. I'm attempting to grow fruit trees/bushes in pots in my concrete paradise garden, one hasn't grown but the other is doing really well and it only gets direct sunlight for about 2 hours a day. You could have a mini potted apple tree if you're worried about the neighbours.

I think you're pretty safe to experiment with most foody plants in a temperate climate. And you can use a greenhouse for things such as tomatoes and chillies. Have fun playing in your garden :-)
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu May 28, 2009 3:58 am

I have an awfully green thumb I'll admit, but I'm finding this topic to be quite a learning experience lol. I have never had much to do with growing vegetables/fruit. Some herbs yes, but I mostly enjoy whatever plants I have on hand (or whatever my insane gardening father gives me to take home when I visit lol). I have half a million succulents, cordylines, crotons and bushes, and I absolutely adore doing flowers in any form .. But vegies? ... Keep the info coming! I'm taking notes! lol Good luck with your planting honey!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri May 29, 2009 7:54 pm

I can only hope it won't be too bad! I wouldn't mind planting them in pots, but I have this idea that they'll die like all the rest. I literally have the dreaded "Black Thumb"... Plants simply die when they know I'm taking care of them it seems.

**Sigh**

Well, at least I know my strawberry bushes should do alright... I'll look at what else is available after I've bought the place... Like I said, other than Green Onions, Garlic and strawberries I just don't know... Hmm, not that I eat them often, but perhaps I'll have to look into a blueberry plant. That could be cool!

Thanks for all the help guys... I just hope they live! [-o< [-o< [-o<

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:40 am

I'm probably too late, but I was always taught that the first year you have a garden, epecially if it is a new one you should grouw root veggies (poratoes, parsnips and carrots). It breaks up the soil for the next year.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:29 am

Nope, not too late yet!

We don't take position of the house until June 29th, and I know that I probably won't start with gardening until at least mid month (except perhaps the strawberries... I'd like those to get well routed in before winter starts making them die off.

I've set myself the goal of finishing my editing completely before July 1, and agreed to do at least 50k worth of re-writing in July for Julnowrimo. Hopefully, I'll actually be able to finish the re-write by the end or middle of August (I figure, it's 100k so setting the goal of two months for a re-write isn't bad)... It just won't leave much extra time for things like gardening! :-D