Looking for something...

For all with green thumbs and a few stray weeds out there...
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Looking for something...

Post by Kystar » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:08 am

...does anyone know where I can get pie pumpkin seeds? Cooking pumpkins?

All I've ever seen in my grocery store are the silly jack-o-lantern pumpkin seeds...and those are bred to have such little actual flesh inside that they're no good for cooking.

We're planning a garden, and I want to get the list of what I want to grow made up...but I need to be sure that I can get the seeds/starter plants before we go too far.

thanks all.
K.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:31 pm

Actually, ghost pumpkins taste really good, at least the ones we had when I was growing up. I can't remember what breed, though

Ask your local garden shop if they have them ^__^
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks...I'll ask around. I don't know where there's actually a gardening shop, but I've got a lowes and a busy beaver, so I'm sure I'll find them somewhere.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:11 am

There is also the possibility of heritgae seends, those were seeds brought over from Europe purely for the purpose of food! they are pretty big among Canadian gardeners right now.

Also, I don't know if it works were you are. The aboriginal people's in this area are big on any kind of squash, often if you can find a trading post they will often have great seed selctions (just make sure you don't accidentally grab a three sisters mix).

look for these names maybe Baby Boo, Munchkin, Big Max, Cinderella, Lumina, Atlantic Giant as I think most of those are cooking pumppkins with more flavour than carving pumpkins, just one of two of them may be dwarfed.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:08 am

I don't care if they're a little small, because I'm the real pumpkin eater in the house. (Hubby was astounded that there is a pumpkin soup!)

thanks for the names...I'll have to look into it.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:51 am

Hubby was astounded that there is a pumpkin soup!
Ohhh... Pumpkin pizza, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin roast... MM! I am a huge pumpkin eater. My best creation, I think, is still pumpkin pie icecream ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:49 am

Pumpkin Pic Ice cream mmmm sounds awesome, I'd like that recipe.

I can't help you on the pumpkin seeds, but a green house should be able to help, I hope

Good luck.

Sage Wolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:05 am

Pumpkin Pic Ice cream mmmm sounds awesome, I'd like that recipe.
I think I posted the recipe on the PL...

Ah, yes! Here we are!
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:21 pm

I had pumpkin pasta sauce last week...amazing

and I love pumpkin soup!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

yellowbirch
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Taurus

Re: Looking for something...

Post by yellowbirch » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:21 am

I realize that I am posting this late in the season, so we can look at it as early for the next.
I order my seeds from seeds of change. I love the work they do. I especially like the small sugar pumpkin, it's great for baking and many other recipes.
They are working so hard to preserve our heirloom varieties and to keep organic plants thriving. Such a wonderful seed source.
I also like ritchers herbs. I order from them when I am looking to grow a variety of native plants or certain herbs, etc...

You can easily find them both online.

Many green blessings~ :Luck:
If our life is in a process of continual recreation, how can one dream of the future~

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:25 pm

OOO Richtors!! They have hard-to-find seeds like eyebright. I didn't know they were online! Thank you :D
Crazy Healer Lady

unicornvr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unicornvr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:26 am

MMMMM. Pumpkins <3 compost. We got ours because we threw our pumpkin junk in the compost in the fall and new ones grew the following spring. Yum!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:13 pm

Good to know, for next year when I actually have compost to work with.

I found some seeds this year, but didn't plant them. I hope they'll hold until next spring. I just couldn't get enough ground broken, and I couldn't get the right weather for more than pre-grown stuff. And I can't keep plants alive indoors, ever.

I was actually thinking of looking into the ways you can get a pumpkin plant to climb onto a roof, actually. Not sure if I want to trail them up my shed or up my one porch, but I was considering it as a way to keep them from overtaking our yard.