Some of the reasons my gardening is limited...

For all with green thumbs and a few stray weeds out there...
Stormy

Some of the reasons my gardening is limited...

Post by Stormy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:58 pm

...and I need to get a job. These buggers eat me out of house and home lol. I love 'em to pieces, which is good, since mamma hog has chomped her way thru all of my maximillian sunflowers and echinachea. Last year, just as the poppys I'd planted were about to bloom, she ate them all down to the ground - delicately savoring the fat buds :lol:

We currently have about 9 ground hogs and 11 squirrels that come regularly to eat sunflower seeds and peanuts. Old mamma ground hog has been here since we moved. We also have half-tail, a squirrel that cheated death by cat, but lost half her tail - she's been here two years now. And this year, one of the baby squirrels broke his wrist somehow, but is managing just fine due to the hand outs he gets here. They are all so spoiled that I just go out and call "Hey, Fatty, hey, hairy buddies, it's supper time." and they come waddling up the hill and swingin' through the trees.

I worry what will become of them if/when we move... no one but me in this neighborhood likes them :cry:

Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:28 pm

I have nothing to add but d'awwwwwwwwwww.

It's wonderful to have a wide variety of critter friends :-D
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Aww, sooo cute!!
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Salvia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Salvia » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:44 pm

Cute! You are very patient- I love my plants a lot!
I pledge allegiance to the soil of Turtle Island,
and to the beings who thereon dwell,
one ecosystem,in diversity,under the sun
With joyful interpenetration for all.~Gary Snyder

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:56 am

Those are pretty cute,

but if you leave mother nature will take care of them.

Or they will create an uprising and eat your neighbours. :lol:

One of the two.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:43 pm

Aw so cute :)
Or they will create an uprising and eat your neighbours.
Hmm: From what I've heard about at least one of the neighbours, that might not be a bad thing ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:38 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Aw so cute :)
Or they will create an uprising and eat your neighbours.
Hmm: From what I've heard about at least one of the neighbours, that might not be a bad thing ;)
I laughed when I read Willow's comment and then I totally lost it on yours CHL. The crazy cat lady really has been making me rather irritated lately. She still has that broken arm - is in therapy for it now, won't heal right, etc. So I try to take up her trash cans for her all the time. She has TWO but one is always empty and the other one is filled to the brim with dirty cat litter. You can imagine how heavy it is, I can hardly drag it - even Ken has trouble - he got so fed up with her he won't even take the trash up anymore but I was still trying to be nice. I finally just flat out asked her WHY don't you divide it up and she said "I don't know". I suggested she please do so. I go to get the trash this week and it was WORSE than ever - I almost broke my back. When she called, I told her jokingly that I was "cursing at you for that can" and again, she said "I don't know why I do that - ha ha ha" I think I'm going to start forgeting to take them up too. I'm sorry if that sounds mean but...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:23 pm

I was hoping that someone would get the reference.

An entire CAN of Cat litter? I wouldn't be able to lift that if I tried, you must be ripped.

How old is this lady? Could she invest in cans with wheels?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:36 pm

Ohhh that is not fair...

*puts up invisible force field around garbage cans*

*smacks ruler on table* NO! Bad! Bad!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:54 pm

CHL - you so crack me up! :lol:

Willow - the cans DO have wheels - they are the really big square cans with attached lids that are around 40 gallons or more. I figure the weight of the litter in the can to be about 225 to 250 pounds. The handles are molded one piece with the can but they actually bend as I'm dragging the thing and the can digs into the driveway gravel and makes a track through it. It is too heavy to roll on the wheels :evil:

Ripped? Huh, never thought of myself that way, but I do sling 40 and 50 pound feed sacks every week for the critters out back, carry my grocery bags 10 at a time (5 each arm) cause I'm too lazy to make too many trips, and am up and down the steps in the house at least 40 times a day, often carrying something - so I guess maybe I am in better shape than I thought lol :naka:

And yet I STILL hurt my back on that can...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Well short of a levitation charm I am out of ideas.

I honestly can't imagine that much poo in one place. :lol: Well, except maybe in ....nah I won't go there. 8-)

Anyway, you probably hurt your back more from ergonomics than weight, dragging is not a particularly ergonomic activity. The more awkward the load, the more likely you are to hurt yourself. I can honestly say I don't know how much a gallon is ( I think in metric unfortunately) but 250 pounds is a lot.

I hope this :naka: isn't how you look though, this smiley kind of reminds me of that aunt I told you about. I shouldn't be too mean but I was nice to her this weekend...OK, mean Willow is going back underground now...its out of my system.

Although I do remember Ragnar using that Smiley to describe Canadian women once I think :smt017
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:47 pm

Just remember - a gallon of cat litter is a lot heavier than a gallon of water - much denser and it's ROCK :evil:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:12 am

Ahh, so a gallon isn't a weight, its like a cubic measure or something.

That clears things up a little.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:42 am

Oops, I forgot, your from the wild north ;) You folks don't get milk in gallon jugs?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Q

Post by Willow » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:43 am

Actuually,
a lot of Americans freak out when they get here, most people buy milk in bags. Comes to four litres total. You can also buy it in jugs but I don't think people do that as much any more. We have specific jugs to hold the mlk bags, cut off a corner and voila!

You can also get it in cartons or glass jars. We have a plethora of ways to buy milk!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)