Grass plant thingy-ma-bobber

For all with green thumbs and a few stray weeds out there...
lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Grass plant thingy-ma-bobber

Post by lunaria » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:37 pm

Okay, so, first off, I'm just going to go and say that I suck at keeping plants alive. I can't even keep a cactus alive, and I've heard those are supposed to be near indestructible.

Well, anywho, for Christmas my mom got me this little grass plant thingy. It's got some dirt that's shaped like a little body, complete with buttons for a face. The grass grows out of the top like hair. Its all together really adorable, and I have affectionately named her Molly.

So, for several months it was growing good. She had a little bald spot, but I figured that was because of a defect in the making of it. Her grass was really healthy and soft and green. You know, perfect grass. Well, in the past couple of weeks, for whatever reason, the grass has became brittle and not nearly as healthy. I don't know what I did wrong, because I have been doing the same thing all along. I really don't want this plant to die, but I don't know if there's anything I can do to make it less-dead. Anyone have any ideas?
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:19 pm

I don't have any ideas, but I just wanted to say I know what you're talking about as far as the plant goes. We sold those grow-a-heads in my store. We even tested one out and it was growing nicely till someone put it in the bathroom where it's too dark for it. So maybe more sunlight is needed?
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!

Have you any plant food?

Or minerals of any sort?

Very very diluted it may need some sustenance other that sun and water. Sing to it. Put your hands around it and focus on sending it love.

As morgana suggested a change in sunlight? More/less? Has your city done something different to your water?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Salvia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Salvia » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:54 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!
:lol:
I pledge allegiance to the soil of Turtle Island,
and to the beings who thereon dwell,
one ecosystem,in diversity,under the sun
With joyful interpenetration for all.~Gary Snyder

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:42 pm

Thanks alot, guys. I'll try giving it more sunlight, and ask my mom if she has any plant food. I'll also sing to it and all that. Of course, it might try to kill itself from the noise ;)

Me: You are my sunshine, my only sunshine-
Molly: AAAAAAAAAAAAAA MERCIFUL GODS STRIKE ME DOWN AND END THIS SUFFERING!!!!!!!

Something like that.

Anywho, I don't think anything different has happened to the water here. I can't taste a difference, anyway.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:25 am

LOL,
that made my day Lunaria.

Sometimes I think my guitar is silently screaming the same thing.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:04 pm

Yay!! I made someone's day! *feels special*

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:53 pm

Okay, I just thought I'd update you all on the status of ickle Molly-chan.

So, I took everyone's advice, and now she's starting to grow back all healthy and pretty. I didn't have any plant food to give her, but just paid more attention to how much sun she got, and sang to her and sent her lots of love.

Its kind of funny though, because right now she is half dead, limp blades, and the other half is healthy and sticking straight up. Ah well.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:14 am

Maybe we should think of her as half alive ?

;)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:35 am

I'm glad it's perking up!!

I wonder why only part of it is growing again?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:57 am

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the old grass is getting in the way? Does that happen?

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:17 pm

Ok, I love plants and I've always had issues about plants going dry especially Ivy, they do grea tthen dry out and all that, so I've done some things to see what I can do, #1 My house is really really small, and my dryer is in the kitchen, so instead of hooking the tube onto it, I put a pair of panty hose on the back of it and let the moist heat hit the air, I also 1 time a month make a pitcure or tea for them, I use 1 teabag for a gallon of water, I water my plants with this and they seem to love it, I also when I transplant my plants I make sure I use wet soil not dry, And if I havne't already I plant a small moonstone in it, Moonstones are good for promoting growth, Plants love sunlight but I've learned that not all houses have alot of sunlight, Take advantage of little hooks that hang plants, and hang them, it adds a nice effect in the decroating as well, I can only suggest that once a week you water the plants I set a schedule so on payday I water plants but thats just me, and keeping the mositness is a definate, The whole dryer thing is a suggestion but thats up too you.. Also to prevent fires clean out the panty hose 1 a month.

SageWolf

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:30 pm

oh Yeah one more thing putting her in sunlight is a great idea but make sure you rotate her, like every week or so, turn her around. and let the other side get sunlight.

SageWolf