Wasp Repellant

For all with green thumbs and a few stray weeds out there...
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Wasp Repellant

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:15 am

I'm going to be going camping this summer (goddess allow) and one of the camping areas near my house is rather nice, but has a wasp problem. Now, I don't like killing the suckers, as they have just as much claim to the land as me... my problem is they want me off the land, and seem to be willing to come in droves to drive us away. :lol: Anyone know of a nice herbal way to keep them away from the campsite? Thanks for any suggestions.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:26 pm

Ha... A little late for this... Well hey! Maybe you'll have wasp problems in Belize.

Keep fruit covered! They love fruit, food, and dead things. They are nature's garbage disposals.

Smoke is always good for keeping away insects. If you want to go heavy-duty, burn some very strong-smelling plants, like juniper branches.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:17 am

You could also try citrus or lavender candles. The smell is so pungent they don't like it apparently.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:48 am

this also sounds gross, but if you have an animal, pick up their waste quickly. Anyone who has ever worked with hosres can vouch that wasps love poo!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:16 pm

That's gotta be why they hang around... The best camping spots are directly below the bathrooms... Although they are modern washrooms, so I'm not certain why they'd be attracted to that... :-?

It's really strange. We leave everything covered, and have the fire going all day, and the suckers will still dive bomb us, the car, the fire, the animals and the tent...

I get the idea that they're just really angry creatures... I've never seen their hive, but it's gotta be nearby...

:-? Hmmm, maybe they're just really unhappy with humans in their territory... or maybe they just don't like me... #-o ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll have to give a few of those a try... [-o< [-o<
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:57 pm

Heh heh... You could always leave an offering to the Wasp (as a Spirit) before you go camping... ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:55 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Heh heh... You could always leave an offering to the Wasp (as a Spirit) before you go camping... ^_^
You never know, that just might work!

It's a hard one to judge when animals are doing their best to make you stay away. Wasps and mozzies can be very nasty so I guess I'd be more inclined to find another camping spot a little further away from them.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

MidnyteSun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MidnyteSun » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:50 am

i camp alot and have found that citrinella candles place at the edge of our camp site seem to work ok. The main problem we found is believe it or not sweat. human sweat contains a chemical a pherimone I think it's called that wasps read as a danger scent. deoterants, shampoos and perfumes all have it in differnt types so as we used the the more problems we had. Burning cedar branches and Juni[ers seemed to help. But from what I understand in you are withing 100 feet of the nest you are seen as a possible threat and in their mind must be removed. Try differnt sites away from the bathrooms. They may be moder but they still have the scent of well you know. And who knows myabe appealing to the wasp spiritually will help I haven't tried that before but I think this year I will.
All things in Moderation Including Moderation
MidnyteSun

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:10 pm

Heh... I meant appealing to Wasp as more of a joke, but I'm glad people are actually considering it!!! I think too many people curse the name of Wasp because he is hot-tempered, and not given the respect he deserves ^^
Crazy Healer Lady

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:49 am

Kitsune wrote: maybe they just don't like me... #-o ;)
I know how that feels.... Bees I get along with rather well, but wasps seem to have something against me. The man next door keeps beehives, so we get a lot of bees, especially in summer. They tend to take flying breaks to breathe on our deck, and I pick them off the floor to keep from stepping on them. I haven't been stung (so far) and I'm actually rather fond of them. If they did decide to sting me, there's always the somehow satisfying thought that they'll die. (Sting me, will you? Who came off worse from that, then?)

With wasps, they just sting you again. I've been stung by wasps three times, once when I was actually trying to help it and twice because I didn't see it and got too close. I always feel that they don't like me - possibly because bees and I get along, and wasps and bees definitely do not. Personally, I'd pick somewhere else to camp! Wasps kinda scare me now, which is a bit silly really because the stings aren't THAT bad.

Man, I'm really in a rambling mood tonight. I should learn to get to the point... if only I could remember what it was....
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:14 am

Ugh, bees and wasps are like flying needles to me, I can't stand either of them.

Maybe I need a good dose of rationalism.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)