Mice repellent?

For all with green thumbs and a few stray weeds out there...
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Mice repellent?

Post by Kystar » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:13 pm

Does anyone know of a plant or plants that can be used either dried or growing to repel mice?

we're having a slight (3 in a year) mouse problem...but I'm not liking how our cat is responding...and wanted to try and deter the little buggers from coming in the house in the first place.

Yes, our cat is catching them nicely...but today she caught a mouse and GROWLED at Tony when he tried to get her to drop it. And she bit it hard enough that I had to wash blood off of her mouth. I don't want her getting used to playing with or eating the little buggers b/c I don't want to run the risk of her getting sick. And, since we're renting, I don't want to have to wash blood out of the carpets.

So, Any plants, flowers or herbs that can make a mousie think twice about getting near them?
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:40 pm

Cloths soaked in peppermint oil shoved into any holes that they can crawl into your house. They hate the smell. It is supposed to drive them out, too, but you may have better luck with mousetraps.

:lol: Send your Owl after them!!! ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:51 pm

Thanks...that might be a help.

I WISH I could send my owl...but it seems my cat is good enough to keep them from causing problems. Noche tends to capture them right away.

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:27 pm

If you plan on staying there a while and as it sounds like you're in a house, try planting mint around the outside of your house, it the owner asks, say it just kinda showed up. Mint is almost like a weed, it shows up randomly and easily transplants, also hard to kill.
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:14 pm

that's a good idea, we'll look into it. We were planning on planting some sun-loving herbs next to the house this spring anyways. I think mint thrives in sun.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:01 pm

:lol: You plant one and it'll spring up everywhere in no time! Like Comfrey and St John's Wort. It's a wonderful plant so you won't likely be sorry that it's spread everywhere, but make sure that you either put it in a plastic pot before you plant it in the ground or that it won't do any damage to the ecology in your area.

And you'll never run short of something to use in your tea or recipes. Loves sun but needs lots of water. Peppermint is harder for me to get thriving but spearmint just goes nuts wherever I put it.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:24 pm

well, that's a good thing, since I love spearmint but can't stand peppermint.

Sapphire
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Taurus

Post by Sapphire » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:12 am

I'm confused - are the mice in your house, or in the garden? Because if they're in the garden, then when your cat catches one, don't let her come back in the house until she's done something with it. Carpets saved.

Although it may be considered unethical - "An' it harm none, do what thou will" can and should stretch to mice - I allow, and sometimes even encourage, my cat to kill and eat mice. He has never once got sick because of it, and cats in general may even have an inherited ability to avoid those parts of mice that make them sick. I encourage him because, and I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone this, having a family of mice running riot in your bedroom is not nice in the slightest.

I'm sorry I don't have an intelligent contribution to make about the peppermint, but, IMHO, the best mouse repellant is a cat :)

~ Sapphy
Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens ~
Douglas Jerrold

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:52 am

Our cats would always leave a specific organ out whenever they ate a mouse. They know what to eat and what not to eat ^_^ I've never had a cat get sick from eating mice. I have, however, seen them get worms from eating grass (eggs from "fertilizer" are on the grass).
Crazy Healer Lady

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:57 am

My cousin had a particularly sadistic cat. It used to like torturing mice and birds, but after he'd killed them, he wasn't interested anymore. :-?

I'd give planting the mint a go if you want to turn off the mice, but if they keep coming back you might want to try a humane trap, although it means you'll have to find another way of keeping them out.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:11 am

Also there is something to think about, If the cat is well fed they will just kill the mouse and leave it , My cat loves to leave the mouse body on the front porch, Without the head. It's a gift to me I guess. It also is the preditor prey sequense, it is also called in Zoo's enrichment for the animals. It is ok, and cats will not eat whatever makes them sick.

I also heard and I have done so as well, for snakes and mice to get a metal pole and attach soda cans to it, when the wind blows it the sounds and vibrations in the ground will deterr them.

Hope that helps.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:15 pm

It is indeed a gift.

My old cat Kelly did that all the time with birds (we never had a problem with mice). Generally the head does not enough meat to fullfill a predator, that's why they start eating lower down in the body.

They leave these gifts to prove that they are still able warriors and predators and useful members of the household.

I found that Kelly generally only did it in when she was feeling old, or when family control was shifting. Like when my sister moved out, she didn't understand why she'd left except that the alpha female (my mother) was pissed off at her. So, she would bring birds and occasionally gophers to prove that she was still useful and that she appriciated my mother being alpha hunter (since she was the one that fed her).

But Kelly was just an awesome cat. I owned Hamsters as a kid, and of course, they escape every once in while. Once, I wasn't able to find the hamster before bedtime, and I tearfully asked my Dad to keep an eye out for him. Then when Kelly came to see me to bed (she always did this), I asked her not to kill the hamster if she found him before morning. I didn't really think it would work (especially since I was only 9 and still christian), but later that night, Kelly came to my Dad and just looked up at him. He looked down at her and saw she had something in her mouth. Kelly simply laid the still living hamster at his feet and gave him this look like "Will you please put this thing back where it belongs?!". :lol: I loved that cat, she was wonderful.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:49 pm

Kitsune, that's adorable! Sounds like an incredible cat! :D

My old dog Jake once caught a baby mouse when she was a puppy. She was a sweet thing, and now that she caught the mouse, well, what was she to do with it? She couldn't hurt the poor thing, so she just carried it around gingerly in her mouth while it squeaked. I, being about 3 or 4, was in a panic, and was trying to get her to open her mouth. Confused and shaken by how upset I was, she accidentally swallowed it! You could see she felt really bad, but I ran inside and got some fries. (I wanted to feed the mouse... o_O) I miss my Jake. She always protected me, no matter what. Even when she was too old to go up the mountain, and I tried everything to get her to stay, she still found me a league or so up there.
Crazy Healer Lady

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:26 pm

Wow Kitsune, that's very fortunate! My cat won't stop going after my mom's birds no matter how much I beg her! One of them got out once and she managed to chase it around the house till it wore itself out, then she ate it (this all happened when nobody was home), leaving only the feet on my bed. I know she's a predator and just doing her thing, but finding the feet of a pet bird on your bed and feathers all over the house is a bit traumatizing. Since then she has gotten a taste for bird and continuously plots how she will catch her next one.

I've discussed with her extensively why it's wrong, and she'll even say she's sorry in her own way, but after a period of time she "forgets" and goes back to plotting against the birds. We've had to get a special cage that she can't tip over and that's high enough off the ground that she can't reach it. the strange thing is, she was born in our house and has never had the need to hunt for food. Her mother who came to us half starved and pregnant doesn't even try to hunt, and neither does our other cat. I guess my cat is just more in tune to her instincts than the others. :roll:
"Love like you've never been hurt."