Greetings

Looking for people in your area? Events in your area? Post it here.
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 am

I would not know the fist thing about "football" I find it a pathetic idiotic hobby for those verging on imbecility.
However, I am talking about the reaction of the locals when I first took my German Wife to my old town. Kids following us all over shouting "Sieg Heil" and "Have you gassed any Jews today?". Bricks through the windows with "Nazi Shite" (sorry Librarian) written on them, Doors and walls spray painted with similar.
Now WHAT was that about "football"?

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:05 pm

Wow. Nasty. I'm really surprised that people feel strongly about it in the US still. There's no excuse, that's deplorable.

But of course, my best frind's German, and I know from experience just how shifty they can be * JOKE JOKE JOKE* She's much more vocal about my 'bizarre' Italian/English-Irish heritage.

Having relatives who fought against each other in WWII over for dinner at the same time can occasionally be weird. And really funny. It always ends with the Italians daring the Irish to grappa drinking contests *sigh*

sorry, I think I went off topic for a bit.....
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:23 am

Well I did say about my Great Grandfather who was at sea. My Grandfather on the other side, although Swedish, was a volunteer in the German Kriegsmarine, and became a U-Boot commander. He eventually sank one of the ships that my Greatgrandfather was on. Later, when comparing notes at my parents wedding (yes, they did have one, so I am told.) that they realised what had happened. They became best friends. My Granmother whom, like I said,up to this point she had never met a German... (Well I suppose he counted as German, having the Iron Cross and all.) She hated Germans. Shows how irational racism is really. Especially when you consider that the Kids, who caused the problems I was telling about in my last post, were about 10>12 years. Thier Grandparents were not even born during the war.

Hana
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hana » Fri May 12, 2006 8:11 pm

''I find it a pathetic idiotic hobby for those verging on imbecility'' =D>
You have just found a new friend. You have said what I have thought for bloody-ever: only I could not find, should I say the 'apt' words to convey these thoughts....Sorry footie lovers.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri May 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Aye. It can be a bit annoying or a bit strange, or just...frustrating. Depending on mood.

But, particularly with this wee kick around that all the subnorms are waving their (cabbage) leaves about, coming up in Berlin soon, the place is fULL of news reporters asking "what team" "what..., "What..., etc.

When they ask my Wife They normally start by "Ha Ha, I suppose you are going to have to suffer your husband watching the foot ball, have you any urgent knitting that needs doing?", then they turn to me "Which team...".

It takes them 5 seconds, and a broken "bleep" button to realise "Oh nooo, have we asked the wrong person here".

Which is quickly followed by a recovery, a blank "does not compute" look, and "But it's the world cup, every one is interested in...SIR! PLEASE SIR!, NO NO NO The microphone does not fit there... ARRRGGGHHHH!"

Then he's crapping resistors and diodes for a month. :lol:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat May 13, 2006 8:16 am

Which is quickly followed by a recovery, a blank "does not compute" look, and "But it's the world cup, every one is interested in...SIR! PLEASE SIR!, NO NO NO The microphone does not fit there... ARRRGGGHHHH!"

Then he's crapping resistors and diodes for a month.
:lol: :lol:

I've come from a family where the women watch the sports, and the men sit and roll their eyes, wondering if knitting is too feminine. That stopped at my mother, though. >_<
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat May 13, 2006 8:53 am

None of my family have EVER been into sport of any kind.

Maybe it's genetic. :-?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat May 13, 2006 11:39 pm

Really, what is the point in sports? I can understand the logic in playing sports, as it's fun and you get excersise, but watching it? The only sport I enjoy watching is martial arts (not including pro-wrestling!!!). Maybe this is from growing up with a mother who screams at the football teams every twenty seconds... I'll tell ya, that wakes you up out of a nice Sunday afternoon nap pretty darn quick O_O
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon May 15, 2006 3:51 pm

I hate watching sports about just as much as I hate watching a guy play a video game. It seems as if it is one way or the other......they either play video games or they watch sports. :-x

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 16, 2006 12:31 am

Well, I do neither, and it SERIOUSLY pisses me off when it is asumed, because I am male, I am also a brainless, moronic, cretinous, anal retentive idiotic sports fan, or video game player.

NO! I can count to two with out taking off my shoes. I can speak, write, and read words of more than one syllable. OR in severe cases, one letter. :evil:

Firelord

Post by Firelord » Tue May 16, 2006 8:22 am

Now I don't watch sports or play sports video games, but I do play video games because they're great stress relief. Of course, I never asked anyone to simply watch, thank you!

I don't believe there's any reason to watch a sport... I mean, if your kid is in there, great, I'm all for that... but there's no reason to have professional sports leagues... and ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to ever pay them more than someone serving your food at a restaurant! People should get paid based on two things: ability and importance.

(ie Bill Gates would still be the richest man in the US but George Bush would be a bum: he holds an important position, but doesn't do anything important with it)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 16, 2006 8:33 am

Firelord wrote:...George Bush would be a bum: he holds an important position, but doesn't do anything important with it)
Not from THIS side of a "daisy cutter" he doesn't. But I guess the Irakis feel pretty much like something important has happened in their lives. ;)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue May 16, 2006 4:43 pm

Well, he HAS done IMPORTANT things, but have they been worthwhile? Absolutely not.
"Love like you've never been hurt."