Drugs and magic - What is your opinion ?

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Janus
Level 1
Level 1

Drugs and magic - What is your opinion ?

Post by Janus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:51 pm

There are reference in many cultures of drugs used for magical purposes, i wanted to ask what's your experience, so i'll start with mine.
I'd like to start by saying that i don't use drugs on regular basis, but I have noticed that different substance have various effect in my "energy", for example i noticed that tobacco "downgrade" my "energy" ( i am a smoker, not an heavy one but still a smoker ), there are periods when i don't smoke and i feel that my "spiritual power" rise. Alchool it's even worse than tobacco.
I have done various test with various kind of drugs, and in most cases is difficult to tell if the things you feel are real or not, expecially with hallucinogens ( like mushrooms or lsd).
I have had very positive results with marijuana, but i noticed that, even if it boost my "powers" when i use it, afterward i am kinda powerless.
I think it cause some sort of "magical dependence", at some point you are able to do magical work only by using it, so i stopped. But i had very impressive results in my working.
In the end i think that they do more damage than otherwise, but i'd like to know :
what do you feel about the use of drugs for magic-work ? Have you ever used it for some kind of rituals,meditation ecc. ?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Drugs and magic - What is your opinion ?

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:43 am

Drugs are well known for their place in many Shamanic circles, but even they hold a general rule. You're not much of an energy worker if you can't produce the same effects without the external substance. Ayahuasca, for instance, is used for Incan Shamans to replicate death. It is terrifying for the unprepared, and there are only certain Shamans who are trained and work with it extensively.

I feel the way many Native Americans Elders feel: The spirit of tobacco has been abused and disrespected. GMO pesticide-laden tobacco is grown for money. Anything grown for money (read: greed, in this case) cannot be good for the body or the mind or the soul. So people get sick. They get cancers. That's a very metaphysical approach, but valid I feel on many levels. I see it clog up peoples' energy field, poisoning it, slowing it down.

Marijuana I find REALLY slows down the system, at least over time. It rips open the energy field and the third eye, which is why people feel connected to the Divine, but people get dependant on it if they're using it to spiritually awaken themselves. Same with the harder/synthetic drugs, which take a huge toll on the energy field and the physical body. Cocaine leaves thick mucous in the energy field and a heaviness. LSD and similar drugs make the 1st level of the field sharp and slivery, and rips apart the shield of the 4th level, leaving people open, vulnerable, and is often why heavy users eventually become schizophrenic.

In doing so much damage to the field, and the almost violent opening (depending on the drug) of the energy field, it seems to me that using drugs in magical workings is inferior to practicing magic without, and can often be irresponsible. However, to each their own, and if someone's already doing it, might as well experiment and see what works best for them.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:39 am

Personally, am not a fan, I like having a clear head, but each to their own!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Janus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Drugs are well known for their place in many Shamanic circles, but even they hold a general rule. You're not much of an energy worker if you can't produce the same effects without the external substance. Ayahuasca, for instance, is used for Incan Shamans to replicate death. It is terrifying for the unprepared, and there are only certain Shamans who are trained and work with it extensively.

I feel the way many Native Americans Elders feel: The spirit of tobacco has been abused and disrespected. GMO pesticide-laden tobacco is grown for money. Anything grown for money (read: greed, in this case) cannot be good for the body or the mind or the soul. So people get sick. They get cancers. That's a very metaphysical approach, but valid I feel on many levels. I see it clog up peoples' energy field, poisoning it, slowing it down.

Marijuana I find REALLY slows down the system, at least over time. It rips open the energy field and the third eye, which is why people feel connected to the Divine, but people get dependant on it if they're using it to spiritually awaken themselves. Same with the harder/synthetic drugs, which take a huge toll on the energy field and the physical body.
I think that i did those experiments too soon, i am quite a newbie.
And now that you pointed it out maybe my results with Marijuana where this good 'couse i personally grow it with my room mate, we put lot of love and effort in these plants, we even slept with them, and offcourse we didn't sold them :P

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:56 am

Sorry guys, I don't have the extra energy this topic really deserves, but yes, drugs have a valid use in some types of magick and spirituality. Here's the hitch, only certain drugs have a true value and only if used correctly and exclusively for those purposes. I.E. Don't think peyote is gonna help you out in a metaphysical way if you also use it recreationally.

Additionally, it's rarely if ever needed, you can and should learn the techniques without it, gain experience and a solid foundation and skill set before you even consider mixing in psychoactive substances and honestly, by the time you get to that level, you usually won't want to try drug based magicks, with the exception of some visionary work maybe, personal choice there.

In short, you're more likely to limit yourself than to benefit yourself with that stuff, especially early on in training.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:16 am

I can't really add to what what Rune and CHL have already said other than to state that I agree with them and to share this cautionary tale I watched a very powerful energetic worker spiral down into a pit of drug addled depression and completely lose his skill. The raw powers was still there but by the time he finally sobered up and pulled his life back together he'd lost any ability he'd once had to control his energetic flow. It was very painful to watch.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake