Energy Question

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Energy Question

Post by Kystar » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:41 pm

I wanted some opinions before I made any hard-and-fast plans.

A maple tree in our yard has a branch that was starting to break off (Heavy storm from last winter caused it, I think). Today, in a thunderstorm, it fell almost completely away. We're going to have to bring the whole section down instead of trim it like we originally planned.

My question is this: I want to use the wood for things, possibly including scrying bowls and runes. Maybe even working wands or a staff, if the wood gives me the right energy. Would the way the branch broke cause issues in these items?

My initial reaction is no, as the branch came down naturally; but my second instinct is possibly yes, as it was a violent storm that brought it down.

What do you guys think?
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Energy Question

Post by Kitsune » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I would ask my guides if the wood was brought down for you to make something with.

After all, very little happens purely by chance.

Strictly speaking, energy wise, it may have a bit of a finicky personality and insist on working when it feels like doing so. On the other hand, when it does work and it agrees with it's purpose, all such workings would be empowered. I wouldn't suggest giving it to someone as a beginners tool, whatever you make out of it. Otherwise, I can't imagine the energy remaining violent inside of it. Remember, nature tends to take such things in stride and much less personally than we do. The tree's view of it is most likely something along the lines of, "Well, that's it then... Have to grow a new branch out there come spring now!"
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Violent storms have a very unique energy. They are full of passion and fertility - many cultures saw thunderstorms as Mother Earth and Father Sky making love. They are also very cleansing. I've noticed storms happen often in places of high pollution and towns that have a lot of hatred vs other towns, and after the storms everything seems clear and calm. They are energizing - many even on this board report feeling energized by storms.

I'd say if the branch came down with the storm, it's probably got a lot of oomph to it and would be a very powerful magickal item. But definitely do what feels right and, as Kitsune said, listen to guidance!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Then, I'm going to go with my first instinct, which is to use it for working tools for my shop. I think I'll even speak to Hubby about turning some of it into small boards for tarot boxes or something. It's a sizable branch.

After all, my "second" reaction could very well have been human logic coming out, which doesn't always jive with magickal workings.

Thanks for the advice, ladies.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Remember to also talk to the parent tree as well. Let it know you wish to use a part of it for your workings, even though it didn't have much choice in giving it up. The sympathies between the wood of the branch and the wood of the mother tree should still be strong and it can pass it's acceptance into what you plan to work with.

Let me know when you start making stuff, knowing the history, I wouldn't mind a wand from that branch, and that you, a dear friend, worked it would only make it that more precious and special.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:19 am

I'll have to go have a chat with her, then. The Oak tends to drown her out, so I'll have to get under her leaves.

I don't THINK she'll object b/c when we were taking the branch down, it felt like she was glad we weren't just planning on burning all the stuff we removed. Every time I designated a piece as "working" wood, she rustled.

I'll be sure to let everyone know when my "working" wands are going up...and my other stuff. Right now I have Costume pieces up for Halloween.

Also, would anyone be interested in wood dyed with wine dredges, depending on the shade it turns?
Hubby made wine last year, bottled it just this month, and now there are sediment jars that I'm experimenting with as a wood dye (brought about b/c they ruined a cooking spoon when they were sweetening it with honey!) and I was curious if anyone had any ideas of what types of things to use it on.

I might also have mead leavings in November to experiment with...now that I think about it...b/c Hubby's got mead in a carboy now.

I'm glad you think of me as a dear friend, DW! I really do consider all the regulars I've gotten to know over the years as friends too! :GHug: :GHug:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Ah! You could paint designs or stain edges, even write script into the wood! You could bind it with something permanent, although it sounds like it's done a good job in wrecking your spoon! How exciting!Or if you strain the sediment and mix with some gum arabic or other resin/stabilizer you could sell the resulting ink!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Well, the spoon cleaned up pretty well in the dishwasher. It's now simply a deeper brown than it was before it got dunked in the pot.

Currently, I'm playing with a Prop wand (maple wood, but the tree was a suburb tree w/almost no awareness, or at least no desire to communicate!), and the purple shade achieved by dipping and soaking darkened a bit with the first coat of polyurethane. I'm going to finish coating it until it's glossy, then see if the color changes at all in the next few weeks.

Rune markings would be cool, I think, carved and then colored on a tea-stained background. I need to read up on sealing wood projects with beeswax. I could also color trim pieces, I think. Or soak pendant discs.

Thanks for the ideas.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Definitely awesome... I didn't realize that you could use wine dredges for that, although really I shouldn't be surprised.

I can't wait to see what they look like!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Kystar wrote:Also, would anyone be interested in wood dyed with wine dredges, depending on the shade it turns?
Hubby made wine last year, bottled it just this month, and now there are sediment jars that I'm experimenting with as a wood dye (brought about b/c they ruined a cooking spoon when they were sweetening it with honey!) and I was curious if anyone had any ideas of what types of things to use it on.

I might also have mead leavings in November to experiment with...now that I think about it...b/c Hubby's got mead in a carboy now.
:hello1: :smt041 :smt038 :smt041 :hello1:

oo ooo me me! Especially as I am associated with the grapevine according to druidic calender!
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.