Inherency vs. Intent

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Inherency vs. Intent

Post by Willow » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:10 am

I have been thinking about this for a while now, for those of you that use tools or objects in your practice, do you think things inherntly have power and meaning or do we project meaning on them with our intent?

For example, there are books upon books out there about the properties of certain stones, but say I decided that instead of using my rose quartz for love and all things happy, I wanted to use it to curse (which I would never do just an example) what would happen, would there be an effect or would everything be the same because of my intent?

Anyway, this is about the objects, not me. What are your thoughts and expereinces, and, are there blank objects, that have no purpose until we ascribe it to them?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Inherency vs. Intent

Post by Kystar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:23 am

I think certain things have a natural charge and are compatible with certain workings because of it. But, I think you can use them for something else, if you think they're compatible with it.

Though, I usually "feel" the energy of a stone or wood, and don't always give it the same meanings that books do. Depending on the individual piece.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:30 pm

I think it's both, actually, but that comes with the pantheist/animist view of life... My drum, for instance, has a very real spirit and inherency to it, as do all my stones, tools, and even my car. However, like any person, moods change, wills change. I can't see Rose Quartz being much of a conduit for negative energy, though. It's just not very compatible, unless a lot of hate and anger were poured into it, like battering an old happy lassydog. :(
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:09 pm

I could see a darker piece of Rose Quartz being able to channel feelings of hurt from a bad breakup.
That's about all I can see it doing, though...taking something "related" to its natural energy, even if it's a little twisted.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Well-
In my view (my beliefs relating to the Spirit Realms, animism, and such) the split between the Spiritual Realm and the Physical Realm is so Mirror-like that it is simply impossible to tell which side TRULY reflects the other!
It could be well-equated to the instantanious actions between the two worlds that are unmatched by even the spped of light. The only truth we can actually know is that all things are inherrently linked and that if one thing occours on the Physical it is impossable to distinguish the effects immediately from the other-

So, is it one or the Other? Perhaps both!
As stated, the immediate reactions and such are impossible to tell - so I do state that (and with the Law of Resonance) that the two are just as Connected. It is both Inherent and Intentuous-
The Sum of their Differences, so to say?
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:33 am

I would say that it's a bit of both, really. Magic is intent combined with focused will, after all. Anything that you focus your will through is going to be able to serve as a conduit. However, we generally tend to use an object because of a draw that we feel toward one use or another. I think that we can use any object that resonates with us to focus our will, but just like with a tuning fork or a crystal goblet, there is a certain frequency that you can reach where the effect is so much stronger and that's because it matches the natural resonance of the object.

Now, taking that a bit further, I think we can also ruin an object by trying to push entirely the wrong kind of intent through it. Amethyst is reputed to be great for healing and protection. Can you imagine what would happen if you wished sickness on somebody and tried to use an amethyst as the conduit? Something tells me, it would resist or even shatter.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:58 pm

You'd be right about the amethyst in that kind of circumstance Davish. Arcanum used to carry a gorgeous little piece of amethyst to work with him - where it was super stressful and alot of people were going out of their way to make his work life absolute hell. Arcanum carried the amethyst to help him cope a little better with all the issues arising at work, and while it did do this, my little piece of amethyst looks like it is cracking from the inside out almost like something went boom! inside it, it's not very healthy at all at the moment :cry: So I would have to assume, under these circumstances, while it did do it's little bit of healing and helped to give Arcanum that little bit more of a protective balance, it seems like it has been taking all the negativity in and not releasing it ... Don't know why that came to mind with what you said, but it did lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I totally forgot I asked this question and I came on today to look for a quote from Runewolf I remembered. Ha!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:24 pm

Amethyst doesn't usually release the "harmful" energy it collects on its own. It either holds it until it breaks, or until it's cleansed.

I've had a piece of amethyst slowly change colors when it was reaching "critical". The white veining turned gray and the purple lightened until it was nearly lavender. It started as a pure white and dark purple stone. It wasn't in constant sun...but it was around constant negativity. I cleansed it, and it regained SOME of its original color...but not all.

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:43 pm

I think that most things have a specific purpose, but we can always tweak it a little, given time and energy. Shifting something to the left or right side of it's nature wouldn't be to hard, but the total opposite probably wouldn't work out too well. Like with rose quartz, I don't think you could curse someone with it, that's just not it's nature, but I bet you could bless someone with it. And this is where we get evil... Now, bear with me, a gallon of milk in an hour will make you very sick, if you don't vomit it up, it will strip the lining out of you stomach and intestines, but a gallon in a week makes for strong teeth and bones. So what if we apply that to majick? Back to the rose quartz, if we really amped it up and charged it with bringing love into you soon-to-be-ex friends life, so much love that every single person they meet falls head over hills in love/lust/obsession with them, how long till the inevitable happens? How long till their life is in shambles?

Why, you could bless anybody, most don't consider blessings a no-no without permission, and it wouldn't really fall under the category of harm either, all you did was provide the opportunity, they did the rest themselves. For every action there is a reaction, cause and effect, you can't be held responsible for someone elses actions, can you? Yep, pure evil... :smt077

Edited to add: The only stone I know of that never needs cleansing it Citrine. ;)
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Kystar wrote:Amethyst doesn't usually release the "harmful" energy it collects on its own. It either holds it until it breaks, or until it's cleansed.

I've had a piece of amethyst slowly change colors when it was reaching "critical". The white veining turned gray and the purple lightened until it was nearly lavender. It started as a pure white and dark purple stone. It wasn't in constant sun...but it was around constant negativity. I cleansed it, and it regained SOME of its original color...but not all.
I've been cleansing it off and on ... When I remember. But since I'm not the one "using" the stone on a regular basis, it slips my mind 9 times out of 10, and Arcanum is usually too frazzled with work to think to cleanse the poor wee thing. It's starting to look alot better, but I think it's probably time to buy a new piece of amethyst and retire the worn out little fellow lol

Back on topic ... forgotten oceans ... It's an interesting point you bring up. Arcanum and I have thrown around similar ideas in the past to have a good giggle, but never really thought much about them lol. It's more than likely possible to do as you suggest. You're right though ... It's an incredibly evil idea :badgrin: I loves it rofl :lol:
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 am

Did you know that the only difference between Citrine and Amethyst is temperature exposure?

Found out from a jeweler that Citrine is Amethyst that's been heated to some crazy temp. Not enough to damage the crystal structure, but enough to change things. Sometimes it happens naturally and sometimes, low-grade amethyst is heated by man to make citrine.

I had always wondered why Citrine and I get along so well when I'm a total Night Child. Most "sun" stones and I are just kind of like "Um, no."
It wasn't until I found out that Citrine is Amethyst that went tanning, so to speak, that I realized why my energy liked it.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Many crystals you find in stores are "grown," too, just to keep in mind ;)
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Well, right, CHL, but that doesn't kill the energy completely for me...just tamps it down so it's not as clear.

Those that aren't grown are so low quality they don't have any real use in the gem industry.

Frankly, when I'm picking crystals...I'm flaring my aura out so I can find the one that resonates best...and I'm not thinking about the how and the what and the why...just "does it work?" lol

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 am

Kystar wrote:Well, right, CHL, but that doesn't kill the energy completely for me...just tamps it down so it's not as clear.
Pretty much the same for me, but it goes along with the "Inherancy vs Intent" theme. Isn't it interesting how we can take a fabricated stone and use it much like the real thing? (I also get a little chuckle out of those who manufacture the stones for a heavy price dropping them into metaphysical shops for us to swarm over, but that's a fabricated scenario in my mind.)
Crazy Healer Lady