Awakening vs. Enchantment

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Awakening vs. Enchantment

Post by Hytegia » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:45 pm

Now, this isn't about which method is better. This is to see which quirks each one offers, and just to compare them side by side... I'll start with what I know about Awakening. An enchantment expert could probably make a list like this.
This is mainly to provide the differences, and simmilarities.

Awakening-

Idea Behind It:
All objects have Spirits... You Awaken the Spirit by making the object aware of it's Spirit. The Object then is Aware of things, and is open to orders and other Stimuli both Magickal and Physical, and can do minor things on both.

Permanent?
Once an object has been Awakened, it stays awakened untill it's destruction.

Method:
Ritualistic placement and charging of a seal on it, or a ritual that makes the Object Awaken. Then, reguardless of the seal's condition, it will be Awakened.

Advantages:
Never Recharged. Actively able to do multiple things minorly. Is present to protect itself Astrally. Can do things Physically if ther's need for it. Can make Wards on it's own. Active small conversation if bored. Can learn things. Can resist other spells and things.

Downsides:
Spirits need breaks... So does your Awakened object. It is usually unable to master any one thing, where it can do many things. You can piss it off, and it will react like a Pissed off Spirit and maybe wreak havok on you abit. Most Awakened objects cannot go "Astral," and therefore you must carry it with you on the Physical if you want it nearby on the Astral. Also, people might notice it bad if your object starts biting them, stinging them, or other such things.
Oh, and it always learns, so you have to be good and keep it away from negative things.
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Re: Awakening vs. Enchantment

Post by Mahala » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:55 pm

I believe objects are like blank slates. If you found something or bought something and care greatly for it, that care will be forever engraved into the energies that object. For example, I can feel the years of family discord when I pick up old family photo albums for our family. In the same way, when I pick up any of my books, they seem to respond to being held by mirroring my great care for them.

I think that would be a type of enchantment. The object has been influenced by accidental incantation (arguments, or personal conversation). I'm open to objects having some type of spirit, but I think I believe most in an object kind of mimicking whatever it's exposed to,or mirroring it, and that after so much time, whatever the object is mirroring will become part of the objects energy, which may or may not be a type of spirit.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:04 am

A Spirit is a Manifestation of Energies in a Manner that reflects those Energies...
Say, that there was a brutal Murder by someone with a knife that was stabbed a bunch of times, a Spirit would be created, then and there, that would be ugly, and have knife wounds and things dripping out that shouldn't be there, maybe holding a knife or something. It's a Murder Spirit, and it became Manifest because the Haenous act took place there.

The same would be said for your Family Album. It has a Spirit of Dischord and other things, but it still has a Spirit. But, simply it having a Spirit doesn't make it Awake. A Spirit simply implys that it can react to stimuli, and is visible on the Astral Plane. Because Spirits are on the Astral Plane, and can far outlast what origionally created them, it's Spirit could theoretically outlast the Album.

But, my point is that an Awake object is Aware of it's Spirit, and can react more efficiently instead of simply giving off "Bad Vibes."

:)

IMHO Enchantment is placing Energies within an Unawakened Object to give it properties that would help it React as you want it to when given a form of Stimuli.
Ex: You enchant a necklace to make you more Alert, by placing energies into it that will activate when you give it a certain Stimuli (putting it on, feeling tired, holding it to the sun, etc.) and then it will do it's works and make it Alert.
Nor any drop to drink."

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Both right and wrong... awakening is known more commonly as animism, i.e. giving a personality to the energies within an object, allowing it to develop a personality. We actually had a discussion on here years ago about that... it may have been pruned though.

Enchantment is binding a working of some sort to an object... awakening it similar and doesn't necessarily require a "spirit", though that can be used, as can thoughtforms or servitors. In actuality, it's really just about energy attachments with a personality of some sort, however limited or advanced.

As far as permanent goes... well, be it enchantment or animism, energy isn't limitless, so they can all fade or be transfered or burned out... however in the right circumstances, they can also both be permanent. Once I have some free time I'll try to make the time to write up something on servitors and something on animism/awakening.

Wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Hm...
Never really though of it in an "Animism" point of View. I simply noticed that only special things appeared on the Astral and gave it form. Things Alive, yes... But also things we have made? And, they seemed to react to things I did on the Astral, such as gathering energy and other things.
When I noticed this, I began to look around... And noticed that the entire place was an echo of what had gone on there. That, somehow, these things had became visible on the Astral whereas my soda can didn't. I looked around, and noticed that there were trees and other spirits of objects that were naturally there just being like Tree Spirits and Dog Spirits and so on.

So, I began to ponder upon the idea that, somehow, the Energies that Manifested upon the objects, through time, had become Spirits. From there, I disected the equation down to seperating what makes Natural Spirits different from the Spirits of these Objects... And that the difference between them and us was that they were Aware.
So, I developed a little test. Made a seal, and slapped it on my Book of Shadows (it was actually more complicated than that). And, whaddaya know, it was Awake! :P

And, for those of you who will think I'm bragging again, I'm not. I'm simply stating the process at which I have come to the conclusions to the idea of Awakening.

I never considered ANIMISM though... Though it does fit everything I believe already. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to the finer points of Animism... I do get the broader ideas though. Animism is the belief that everything can have a Spirit, and is somehow alive in a form.
What I stated was just that- except the object isn't Aware of it's Spirit (Or the Spirit isn't Aware of it's object. Who could ever be sure, really?!).
Nor any drop to drink."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:50 am

I think animism and pantheism sort of go hand in hand. "Everything has a spirit, and everything IS Spirit."

There are various levels of consicousness you will find with objects and creatures. Stones, for example, generally have a high awareness, almost higher than us, but don't usually see themselves as separate. maybe because they have probably been chipped off of a larger whole, and one day they too will return to many different pieces?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:32 am

Hmm... Intresting. :)
I could agree that, somewhere near the beginning of all things, we were spawned from Spirits. That somehow, near millions of years ago, we probably lost something (or... Could we have gained something?!) that led us to be Mortal.

So, the idea that everything IS Spirit, still is a good Idea. But I don't really think that the Soda Can counted, since I didn't see it. :/ But both theories DO go hand in hand with each other.
Nor any drop to drink."

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:04 pm

But are we forgetting, just because we can doesn't mean we should. Once you awaken something, it becomes your responsibility. Something like a deck of cards is easy to care for, but things like trees or houses is harder. Even after you're dead and gone they're still yours to look after. I don't think its something to take lightly. An awakened being becomes a part of you, it carries a little piece of you forever, if something happens to it, you feel it. It almost seems like playing at God. Just my 2 cents.
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Not really. You're not taking YOUR soul and applying it. You're just Awakening the Spirit within it.

But, you're right. One it's Awakened, it's Awakened forever, and will exist alot longer than it would otherwise. Even as a Spirit, it will thrive on after the object is gone.
Nor any drop to drink."

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:28 am

You're not applying your soul any more nor any less, than a parent does with their child. Some people will have children and then get rid of them, throw them away to adoption agencies, or take care of them with a kind of mind neglect or worse. Once you awaken that object, you are as responsible for that spirit and object as any parent is for the things their child does... and yes, eventually that object will be mature enough to survive without you, but it's cruel to awaken a spirit just to leave it behind.

At least in my opinion... Some things are already awake, but some things should just be left asleep... the caster isn't really being responsible otherwise. Especially for a religion that says "An it Harm None..." [-(
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:52 am

A good point.
When you Awaken an Object, it's not a part of you. It's it's own Spirit and body (of sorts). But it's like a child, and it would be irresponsable to just toss it and let it fend for it's own... Not to mention that, if it survives, it's going to grow big, bad, and have a bone to pick with Mummy and Dadda. :/
Nor any drop to drink."