Meditation Question

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
crackerjake
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Pisces

Meditation Question

Post by crackerjake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:42 am

I've been struggling with meditation for a while now, but have been lately getting a result. After gazing at a candle, things start to get a grey film over them, is this normal? Am I harming my vision somehow?

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Meditation Question

Post by Max » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:08 am

As far as I've heard staring into flames doesn't damge your eyes. I think the grey film may be your eyes going out of focus, or the image that remains across your vision after looking at bright light for too long, on your retina I think. It would happen if you looked at a bare lightbulb.

Just to let you know, I too struggled with meditation for years, simply because I have a busy chatty daydreamy mind. I know the usual thing is to "know that you have distracting thoughts, acknowledge them and let them pass like clouds" but even that used to lead to an internal dialogue for me. I find meditation easier now. If you're unsure about the candle meditation you could try repeating a simple mantra or do a colour chakra meditation?
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:33 pm

I can't offer any good information, only share what I experience. Maybe you'll gain something useful from it

When I stare at a flame (or any place for long) eventually my sight goes grey around what I am looking at, then black, then multicoloured and neon, and then I see things. I have excellent eyesight and am the only one in my family who does not wear glasses.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

crackerjake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crackerjake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:I can't offer any good information, only share what I experience. Maybe you'll gain something useful from it

When I stare at a flame (or any place for long) eventually my sight goes grey around what I am looking at, then black, then multicoloured and neon, and then I see things. I have excellent eyesight and am the only one in my family who does not wear glasses.
Yeah, that's pretty similar, except I stop when my sight goes grey. I'll try to gaze longer and see if I get similar results.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:38 pm

The greying over of your eyes is probably your mind shutting out the candle's stimulus to focus inside, which is quite normal. It happens to me when I use candles, which is when I take the cue to close my eyes. If your eyes are blurry, watery, or if they sting, itch or burn, then see an eye doc if you feel the need. Your vision shouldn't be harmed by candles, as they're much less harsh than the sun or light bulbs. Here are some suggestions you could use:

I used to have a bit of trouble meditating, until I happened upon this method by chance. Find something to do that you can do without thinking, often a repetitive, easy chore. For example, while eating or washing dishes, I often 'zone-out' and my mind goes silent. I also have a comfort item, a baby blanket I am (still, at 16... :oops: ) very attached to. I rub the little knots on it and let my mind go blank and wander.

It's a lot easier to let the mind drop off into meditation on its own from time to time than to teach yourself to drop into meditation on cue. As for teaching yourself to drop into a deep state on cue, try the first suggestions, then this: Once you've gotten used to meditating when your mind does it naturally, pick a day when you're calm, relaxed, and there's not a lot on your mind. You can use a candle flame, or what I prefer, lay down on a bed with a pillow under your head with your knees up, play soft music with repeating sounds or melody (such as rain), and let your mind wander. Wear comfortable clothing, of course. I find that light, smells, and loud sounds are very distracting, so I choose to do this at night. If your mind starts revving up again, get control and gently bring it back down, notch by notch. This may happen a few times, so be patient with yourself. After a few times, this will get easier, and soon, you'll be able to drop into meditation faster and smoother.

Hope that helps! I also have a pond meditation I use that you can try, if you want.

crackerjake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crackerjake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Mahala wrote: Hope that helps! I also have a pond meditation I use that you can try, if you want.
Thanks for the helpful info! Got one question though:

What's pond meditation?

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:18 pm

It's one that' I've created. I use it to sort and balance all my energy by first pooling it outside of myself then pulling it back in without all the negative pieces. Sort of like energy Tetris, I would suppose. You take it apart, take out the ickies, then put it back together. if you use chakras, you can use those in the meditation.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:51 pm

No, the graying out isn't harmful. Actually, it's very normal for some people. Chances are, if you ever learn to scry, you'll end up seeing it there too, or even more likely a gray fog or something similar. This is just your conscious mind relaxing a little.

If you're worried about it, don't stare directly at the candle, look to one side, or put something in front of the candle... or skip the candle, paint a banana neon green and use that (I'm actually serious there). The whole point is to have a single item to focus on so that other thoughts don't crowd your mind as much. You can actually do just fine by picking a single though, closing your eyes and focusing on just that thought, though that does take a bit more experience and practice.

As an aside, one of the biggest problems I hear about with people learning to meditate is that "I can't seem to empty my mind". Meditations don't have to be "no mind", that's actually fairly rare. The real point of meditation is "focused relaxation". Letting your tensions go, letting your conscious mind relax and being focused on only one thing, be it the candle, a rune, a person, an object, whatever. Remember that and it can save a lot of frustration.

Also, breath work can help. I think I posted something years ago in the Magick section about using breathing techniques for meditation and altered states of consciousness. If not, let me know and I'll try to make the time to write up a new lesson.

Wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:27 am

I put some sort of multifaceted crystal in front of my candle, so I don't get the bright spot burned into my vision. Then again, I work best with water and air, so the slight shimmering, flickering of the light off the different facets of the crystal helps me drop into meditation easily.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!