Finding Your First Familiar

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Finding Your First Familiar

Post by Mahala » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:34 am

I was reading into my new book from Raven SilverWolf, To Ride a Silver Broomstick, when I reached the chapter talking about magickal names and power animals. Sure enough, one thing led to another and I began to search for quizzes to give me hints on who/what my power animal or familiar might be. But then I remembered something. Any time I'm feeling insecure or simply internally calm, I instinctively 'see' a great black pegasus nearby. This pegasus has appeared to me several times without need of being called upon, and I always wondered why that was the way it was.
I just don't know much about her. I know the aspects of horses as familiars/power animals, but pegasi are very hard to find information on. Aside from this, I've also considered the panther, black jaguar, and snow leopards. I've used each as a written original-character's familiar at one point, but they don't have the same 'click' to my inner self as my black pegasus. It's all so confusing for me! Does anyone know any good sites or books that might help me learn about my pegasus?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Finding Your First Familiar

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:10 am

Sometimes it helps to look at old stories, myths, and legends. There are stories of the pegasus being the transport of a greek man to Olympia, and for that reason is associated with spiritual ascension. When I think of a black pegasus, I think of Fantasia. It might be worth watching the movie again. Perhaps your pegasus will give you some inspiration about how it will guide you in your life.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:22 am

Good topic, and I love the new avatar BTW.

the pegasus might not be a familiar, but a visual representation of protective spirits around you. When am afraid I see a tiger guarding me, I can even watch his tail flick. But I don't think of him as a familiar.

Now I could be really off the loop here, but I thought familiars were generally actual animals that attached themselves to you (i.e. a cat, dog, lizard)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:06 am

The use of the term familiar, I've learned, can vary from tradition to tradition. Some claim that it's the spirit essence of an animal that helps you...not to the point of a guide, but more like a sounding board or a reminder. Some say that it's a fully alive, physical animal that decides to aide you...either by dint of being your pet, or by wandering into your life and setting up shop.

I actually can claim a familiar, though she's slowly loosing her focus. My eldest cat, Noche, has on many occasions acted as my familiar. She has pointed out where ward breeches were originating...she has told me when to cleanse, when to seek answers from my runes or my tarot. But, since we brought the new cat in, she's acting more as a pet than a familiar, which is fine. Sometimes she'll pop out a bit of wisdom for me...but I don't mind if she starts to play and enjoy life again. She was way too serious before. But, she still patrols the house at night, and she still goes "Gargoyle cat" over me when I'm in a creative mood and can't pay attention to the world around me.

However, I had a dream familiar as a teen...a stuffed wolf that would come alive in my dreams to protect me if I started having a nightmare. I didn't associate myself with wolves much back then...still don't. Big cats, small cats, and birds of prey...these are animals that fascinate me. Anyways, I guess I brought him up because I think a familiar is a personal thing...and depending on how you feel about an animal or a spirit, it may or may not apply.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:14 pm

I was thinking that after I posted. The difference between familiar, spirit guide, and power animal is slight, but enough to differentiate the terms. My cat isn't much of a good one, he's the only animal I'm with a lot aside from my horse, and she's gotten distant. (Gizmo still adores me though.)I might try going on a vision quest to either speak with that pegasus or to search out any other animals with meaning for me. I've read all the myths about pegasus, but there's nothing directly pertaining to black pegasus. I know white is purity and clarity, but black could be anything. Snow leopards keep to themselves, they're creative and wise, as are most cat figures. I'm a cat person by nature. I have cats, I breathe cats, and occasionally I suffer the fact that I eat cat. :roll: (Dang dander!)

I love having animals that are willing to come and curl up with me for a bit, but are perfectly fine on their own or alone for extended periods. (Hence why Gizmo and I very seldom sleep in the same bed...) I tried visualizing one and found that out of all big cats, snow leopards fascinate me.(The rarity and the way they are not very social.) Horses' spiritual aspects include being very high-strung, social, physically fit. They convey a sense of being able to commune with animals well. What the horse's job is also says something, but I never visualize my pegasus working. She/it is always running, but hardly ever flying.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Freedom, spiritual ascension, flight of the soul, going deep within to face the Shadow Side (as represented by its black colour), the Womb, spiritual ecstasy, spirit flight (different than flight of the soul).
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Though I cannot remember the source, I once read a myth about a black unicorn. Where the White Unicorn only allowed the pure virgins to touch it...the Black Unicorn would only allow a warrior of pure spirit and intent to touch it. It would guide the warrior to their perfect allies, or their perfect mentor, if they were young enough to require further training.

I doubt that it is accurate for your situation, but the memory was tweaked, so I thought I'd post. If I had half a clue where to find the story again, I would hunt it down...but alas, too much other to do.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:50 am

I want to look that up, it would be a neat twist to the myth as I learned it.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:09 am

I just remembered where I heard that from!

When I was involved in my LARP, Dagorhir, I was "adopted" into House Arborlon...whose symbol was a black and gold unicorn on a green field. Lady Feri told me the myth when she presented me with the sash. I don't remember where she said she read it...

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Kystar wrote:Big cats, small cats, and birds of prey...these are animals that fascinate me.
Have I got something for you then.

I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:34 am

Oh my word! Haha, my cat Gizmo would end up doing that. He thinks he's a great hero. Not much to update on subject aside from that.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:45 am

My older kitties name is Gizmo, but nowadays we call him Minkers... A friend lived with us for a few months and started calling him "The minkiest Monkey" and "Minker" was what stuck!

Malhala, I did have a question though... You mentioned a Black Pegasus, but I was wondering if it could have been a Winged Panther? They are black, large, winged and have a slew of different meanings. I'll put up the information later today, in a different thread on them, just in case... I'd do it know, but I'm running away to cook lunch in a moment. :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:44 am

Oh, my, that poor cat!

But, I could see my younger cat doing that...or her older brother. Tigger used to harass sleeping deer, until the day he got tossed by a buck's antlers. Came home with a hole in his leg. YIKES! :roll:

I would hope, if I ever got brought back to this world as a cat, I would have enough sense to NOT attempt to attack a bird BIGGER THAN ME! backoff: #-o

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:50 pm

It might have been. IS it possible for familiars or power animals to shapeshift? One form for a certain bunch of attributes, another for a different facet, etc. Perhaps I see the pegasus as my friend, and the panther is my protector, but both are black, a color that I see as inner strength, discipline and silence.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:29 pm

In my experience, Familiars don't shift. However, I think it's possible to have more than one guide who share traits...or a guide that manifests in different ways to bring your attention to something you need to focus on. I think. Not sure.