Mentally Circulating Energy

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Sanctaignis
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Mentally Circulating Energy

Post by Sanctaignis » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:37 pm

I tried Runewulf's basic energy cultivation guide, but I don't know why I don't ever feel anything circulating when I try to do what he says. Any pointers? :-k
"Carpe Omnes"

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Mentally Circulating Energy

Post by Kitsune » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Have you ever tried a martial arts? They usually teach you to sense the Ki as well. If you're looking for a basic, try doing some Tai Chi. The movements are very conductive to gathering energy, and you should be able to sense it while doing the movements. If not, try to sense the energy in yourself while working out, as soon as you've figured out what the energy feels like, you'll be well on your way to feeling it consistantly.

Also, you might want to check out some "Wicca 101" books. They usually have some good information, at least for the basics like that. I have a great book called "Gypsy Magic" that was a wonderful guide. I can't remember who wrote it right now, but if you check in the book section of this forum, I've talked about it on there before.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:08 am

It takes a while to feel it, hun :) Kitsune has some great advice
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:08 am

I agree with Kitsune, martial arts and tai chi definitely work, but I find yoga works for me as well.

This is a really easy way to feel it: sit somewhere quiet, cross-legged, breathe deeply and calmly with your palms on your knees for a few minutes. Then rub your palms together in front of your heart for a couple of breaths until they start to feel warm and then part them and hold them still about an inch apart. You'll feel warmth and a tingly sensation. When the initial friction dies down you'll feel the energy and it will grow the more you become aware of it, eventually you can work on feeling it throughout your body. Hope this helps.

As an aside, when I did marital arts and first felt that Ki/Chi/Qi (however you spell it), mine felt icy to me and other people. It's levelled in temperature now, but any suggestions why it was like that? Or has anyone else felt that? Just curious.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Hmm, you know, I've never felt my energy in terms of heat or cold... :-?

I honestly have no idea for that one. I don't know if I could describe what my energy feels like. It's simply there...

You'd think after this long I could describe it better!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Actually, Max reminded me of an exercise I use in my classes when teaching Reiki. It teaches you how to feel energy:

Rub your hands briskly together for about 30 seconds. Pull apart about 1/4", and don't let them touch from now on. SLOWLY pull them apart and back toward each other. It may be right away or take 20 minutes, but you will feel something like when you hold the same polarity on magnets together. You feel a resistance in some areas, pulling in others as you move your hands and discover your flow of energy. Have fun with it, and practice.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:01 am

Heat and Cold are only 2 ways of sensing energy. Sometimes it can feel like pressure, tingling, static, almost like air moving across your skin, etc. The above exercise of rubbing your hands together is a very basic one that can occasionally help. I have found that most people feel their own energy internally as pressure, then heat or cold... externally, as any of the above.

A simple way to learn to sense it is to sit comfortably, hands held close together, but not touching, maybe 2 - 6 inches apart. Relax your body and slow your breathing down using slow, deep breaths. When your breathing is as slow as you can comfortably make it and takes on that rhythm without a lot of thought, start focusing on your hands. Keep telling yourself mentally that your energy is building between your hands, forming into a small sphere. As you focus on that, see/know/feel more and more energy filling said sphere and keep at this until you feel the pressure/heat/cold/etc. building between your hands.

Once you're done with this exercise, it's always best to pull that energy back into yourself, otherwise you can end up tired. Just very slowly push your hands together until they touch, all the while focusing on that energy flowing back into your hands, then up your arms and into your body. Eventually settling just below your navel. Once your hands feel normal again, i.e. you don't feel the energy there, then let your breathing return to normal.

Hope this helps and sorry I didn't answer sooner. Life has me psychotically busy, as normal, and one of our long term members just IM'ed me about this thread yesterday so I stopped in to answer as soon as I could make a few moments.

Miles Beannachta,
Rune
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 am

Do you know, although I knew that not everyone saw energies in colour, it has never occurred to me that it isn't 'normal' to feel energy in terms of temperature. Of course not, it's energy duh :-k . This is why it's good to share!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:42 pm

And also why we never stop learning!!!

Great to see you sharing your wisdom, Runewolf :)
Crazy Healer Lady

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 pm

You know, I don't think I could describe what my energy feels like, despite being a unpublished fantasy author and part-time poet?

It just is. It's there where I put it...it moves where I direct it...but I can't describe what it feels like.

Now, touching someone ELSE'S energy...I can describe that.

One sister-in-spirit crackles almost like electricity...or maybe a good wood fire.
The other s-i-s sloshes around, unless she has good control, then it feels like a creek current.
The third s-i-s sort of buzzes...almost static-like. Low key sort of stuff.
My one brother-in-spirit's energy rumbles, almost like a bass note that's just out of hearing range...you feel it more than hear it.
My brother-in-law via s-i-s flares and flashes, but never stays obvious for long.
The one guy who tried to "energy vamp" me...that I talked about in another thread...his energy was slimy...like the time I touched an eel.
Hubby feels like a warm towel on a cold day. Or sometimes, the steam from a cup of tea.

Intriguing how I can't describe my own, but I can visualize everyone else's, isn't it?
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:23 am

Maybe it has something to do with comparison and perspective? You need your energy to compare theirs to. And by comparing it, you get a certain feeling, but cannot describe your own.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown