HELP! Visualisation, psychic visions and astral projection

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Werewolf
Level 1
Level 1

HELP! Visualisation, psychic visions and astral projection

Post by Werewolf » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:50 am

Hi there,

I've been looking around for people to ask. I'm a 28-year-old chronic insomniac and for many years I have been using meditation which I came up with independently to fall asleep. It is a form of creative visualisation which has often given me bizarre and completely realistic visions. I have a history of astral projection and psychic visions within my family. I had one as a kid and never practiced again because the guy died in my vision (It was on the news two nights later).

Basically, I start by lying down and relaxing my body as much as possible. I'm hyper-sensitive to environmental stimuli (noises, too much light, bad mattress, temperature change etc) so this takes me some time. I have gained good results while drunk* or stoned*...naturally...but find doing it makes me high when I am sober. When I am finally relaxed, I see a blank space with my eyes closed. Blackness. A lot of people report patterns. I see portals (as in wormholes and roller coasters and Sliders portals). I start off by flying through them, they transform into dragons etc. I'm not controlling it. It's like dreaming but I am awake and fully aware. In fact, I can brood and think about things or go 'What the freaking hell is that bull**** I'm seeing?" I can talk to people and move my body.

Eventually, all the dragons transforming into trees and me flying over random landscapes may form into visions which involve people I have never met. I am talking intense detail, like walking into a room when awake and noting the boring detail...the crack in the chair-leg, the table cloth pattern, every single object in the room. Sometimes, the people try to talk to me or look at me, as if they are trying to see whether I am awake. They lean over my face and stare into my eyes.

I begin twitching at this point. As if I have had codeine* (a calmative pain killer) or marijuana*. My muscles twitch and suddenly I can hear. As in like a dream. I am not in an REM phase (When I am in the REM phase...i.e dreaming, I smell, hear, sense, feel, see, it is all very detailed). I am still awake but falling close to sleeping, though trying to focus on the images occasionally gives me a headache. Sometimes the noises are so loud I freak and snap out of the trance.

Sooooooooooooooooooo....

Has anybody had a similar experience? Can you please describe it to me. HONESTLY, and in detail. I don't want people telling me a load of bollocks I'm frankly not going to believe.

How much meditation have I done? Bugger all, personally. This is something I do creatively. Normally I create stories in my mind before bed or while alone or just daydreaming, but this is much more intense and it is like lucid dreaming yet different. The only other meditation I have done really is shape-shifting. Imagining I am someone or something else and feeling the effects on my body, sometimes physiological. Also something I've just made up myself (I know others practice it but I've never been part of many groups which do things like this).

My family tells me I am accidentally astral-projecting or having psychic visions as I have done both before. I just want other accounts of this sort of meditative creative-visualisation state and what it does for you.

Thanks very much!

Werewolf

* NOTE: I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU TAKE DRUGS AT ANY TIME DURING MEDITATION! You may seriously cause yourself harm.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Re: HELP! Visualisation, psychic visions and astral projection

Post by Lotus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:30 am

I have only had similar experiences when I took meds that would alter my state of mind. About two months ago I stepped on a quilt pen in my kitchen. It went so far up my foot that my SO had to get plyers to get it out.
Needless to say, they had me on some serious drugs. Both the pain killer and the antibiotic they prescribed to me caused hallucinations similar to what you are experiencing.
Right as I was going to sleep the effects seemed more pronounced. I would hear someone (something) screaming in my ear as I was about to fall asleep. I even saw a floating eyeball in the middle of the room just hovering there.
I knew that none of this was real. There was no eyeball or anyone screaming in my ear.
I especially knew that there was something wrong and stopped taking the meds. This was all concluded by my google-fu to look up side effects of the meds.

Why am I stating all of this?
You might want to research the possible mundane causes before thinking it is something metaphysical. This could actually be a medical issue. For example, if you are taking a suplement that you are actually alergic to then these effects would manifest.
Insomnia could be a sign of a healh problem more serious than simple insomnia.

On a side note, I have always been good with visualization and daydreaming. My Mars is in Pisces after all.
I meditate all of the time and each and every time I get a very different experience. I have been trying to slience my mind and doing meditations that focus on that goal. I am getting better at doing so.

BB
Lotus

Ps. If any of this sounds harsh in any way then that is not my intention. Mind you that I am half asleep now.
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi there :)

It would certainly sound to me like a flight of the soul. You may want to try to gain some control, as well as protection.

I teach psychic development classes, and the foundation is always creating a relationship with your Allies. For many, this means power animals, for others, angels or guides. This creates a stable ground when you are working, and also some degree of protection. If you find yourself somewhere you don't want to be, call to your allies, and they help you out.

If I were to recommend anything to you, it would be to do this. Meditate, visualize, with a strong intention to meet your power animal. It is much easier for many to start this way. Continue working with it/them, and then, after a period of a few weeks, move on to the next part.

The next part is learning to control your flights. Right now it seems like you're out in space with all the dimensions flickering before you like a convulsing psychadelic picture. So, begin a visualization with your intent to visit ONE place, with your protection (ally). Create an environment which is peaceful to you. I always lead people, firstly, to a beautiful large field with a giant tree. I start them off at the base of this tree. Basically, you spend time getting to know this place. What this will do is allow you to gain some control over your intentions, over your visualizations. It takes time. Please take small steps, and do not do these when high. Experiment with that far later on. At this point, drugs will only help you LOSE control, and will offer no benefit in learning.

Before I had control over flights of the soul, I would hear people calling my name, sometimes gently, sometimes violently, as I would drop off to sleep. Every night. Every single night. It seems to happen as the veils thin. They were always very thin around me as a child and teen. This may be why you hear them in your visualizations, and Lotus, why you heard them on your painkillers, as drugs that put the mind in an altered state will make you aware of what's beyond the veil. Certainly, Werewolf, listen to Lotus's advice about checking yourself on the mundane medical level!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

ImMappaM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImMappaM » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 am

Namaste and Greetings

I find it interesting that during your time of meditation that you are accidentally projecting. To me this means a lack of control, not intentional of course but still lacking the control it takes to accomplish what the meditaiton was meant to do.

It seems to me, of course it's only my opinion, but ... you should make a consentrated effort or control both your visualizations and your astral projections. This can be done by conscious efforts and practice practice practice.

There are exersizes you can do to maintain control of the visualizations which then would carry over into your projections control.

Brightest Blessings
~MappaM~
May your life not be measured by the breaths you take each moment but the moments that take your breath away.
Brightest Blessings
MappaM

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:17 pm

I just want to add something here, reading this over. You mentioned shapeshifting. Can I make a suggestion? Shapeshifting is actually quite, erm, I wouldn't say dangerous, but it has many risks, ones which can aggravate what you are experiencing.

Like I said, I experienced my name being called (and loud noises) a lot as a child, but the veils were thin. Don't perpetuate it :) Gain control of yourself before you work more on psychic development. You can't build a house without a foundation.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Werewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Werewolf » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Hey guys,

First off, thank you VERY much for all the help! I will most certainly attempt some of these things. Now to reply to everybody individually...hopefully I've addressed all points.

Lotus - Don't worry, I don't take offense at honesty like that, how would I get help if everybody was nice (or lying) to me all the time? ;) A quilt pen? Up your foot? -grimaces- My god! I have looked into the 'mundane' reasoning. It happens to me when I am completely sober as well and I started teaching this visualisation technique to others with insomnia, with good results, many years ago (I was always, always sober when doing it). I will admit that codeine makes it easier. Possibly this is because codeine is sending me into that phase before sleep quicker; being an insomniac it takes me a while to get to sleep. One possibility my mother came up with is that it is our minds doing what dreams supposedly do; sort out the wealth of information in our minds, although some of it seems too vivid. Is it potentially dangerous for me to teach this technique to others? It interests me that when I use it when sober, it gives me similar reactions to drugs. High feelings, twitching ... twitching is not common though.

Crazy Healer Lady - This sounds like a good idea, if it is indeed astral projection. Years ago I did seek out my power animal. He used to appear in my dreams quite often in the form of a wolf, occasionally other animals, I have read that each animal has something to teach you. I might attempt to seek him (or her, this I grew confused over when seeking a long time ago) again, see what form he has taken. The other protection my mother taught me was a white-light shield, which I have NOT been vigilantly doing before meditating! -Smacks own face- What I might do is print this page off so I can learn some of the techniques mentioned. I seem to be creating landscapes but moving through them too fast and then losing the image quickly. I have also never attempted to talk to the people who sometimes show up...that hasn't happened often. A field with mountains and trees seems to be my choice, as well! :)

I'll take your advice and move through it slowly.

Can you explain to me what you mean by shape-shifting? It seems to have many different meanings for people. I have always done it in my lucid dreams and even when I am not controlling my dreams. The other form of shape-shifting meditations I often do is when I am walking around, awake, etc. If I am lifting something I might visualise that I am a bear. I can feel fur on my body, feel my strength, hence physiologically likely getting an adrenaline rush or pushing myself to my limits. I've always done this rather easily - people, animals, even trees. I have a hyper-active imagination and have always done it for simple fun. The other form is the one I use in my dreams where I become the animal. Why is it dangerous and can you describe what you mean by shape-shifting in your view, or the different kinds? :D

ImMappaM - Can you suggest any exercises? Perhaps I will have a look around the site and see if there are any, and use some of Crazy Healer Lady's as well. I'm worried that if these are indeed astral projections and not simply my vivid imagination and simple meditation, I might find myself in a dangerous situation. Is it abnormal for somebody to be accidentally projecting while doing meditation or is it common for someone who is starting off?

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi Werewolf :)

I don't think you're astrally projecting, per se. I feel it is a flight of the soul, which I guess is like astral projection, but AP seems to be in one dimension. Flight of the soul, or journeying, is going to other worlds. The reason I feel this is the changing of scenes that you are describing, and the fact that you are hearing voices (veils thinning). This is why I suggest finding your power animal or ally. Protection and aid is needed when you are doing this, willingly or unwillingly. If you believe in angels, call on them, too.

The shapeshifting I was referring to was a shifting of mind/spirit, where you become the animal as much as is possible. If done too often or without precautions, you can literally lose yourself. The losing of self is also a risk in journeying.

I hope this helps some :)
Crazy Healer Lady

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:27 am

I haven't posted before now, because I don't like repeating what others have said.

However, I do feel that you perhaps shouldn't be teaching people to do what you do, before you truly understand what it is you're doing.

If it's Astral Projection, or even if it's just a journey of the soul, there could be dangers there that those people aren't ready for in the slightest. The fact that it makes you feel high, and that you continue to do it, even without knowing or understanding what you're doing, means that it could be spiritually addicting, creating a dependency in those doing it to keep doing it.

We all make mistakes when we're just starting out (trust me, I could regale you for pages with mine, I'm sure), but we try to teach the finished object to people... not the half-baked part that we've got down pat. It's just irresponsible in my opinion, sort of like giving people who aren't ready for it a scuba diving set, and 10 minutes of training and letting them harry off on their own, without even finding out how much air they have left.

I'm certain that others here will have different opinions, but that's the advice I'll offer, in addition to stressing control, control, control.

I'm sorry if I'm being abrupt... I just woke up, and I'm trying to write a novel in a single month (I'm a bit cranky because I'm only a day ahead now, instead of the two or three that I originally had at the beginning on this weekend.)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Werewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Werewolf » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:36 pm

Crazy Healer Lady - I think that makes a bit more sense. Gods half of this is still very confusing. I think I'll just need to go deeper into the practicing and that sort to work it out. I've never heard of visiting other worlds before! I must seem completely naive, and most of you must be gritting your teeth, thinking of what I'm doing.

Kitsune - I'm a bit mortified to find out that it is dangerous! Spiritually addicting...at first I thought you were having me on, but people can be addicted to the most random things. Don't worry, I know the writing stress. I haven't even gotten past the research stage of my novel let alone begun writing the bloody thing!

ImMappaM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImMappaM » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:55 am

Namaste and Greetings

I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, you have no idea about the time that's past lol but I do want to respond to your question.

Visualisation, visions and astral projection are all connected in the subconscious by one very important ability and that is to see with the inner mind threw control. Visualization is the keep. If you can't control what your inner mind sees, you can't understand visions and you can't adiquately project.

A very simple exersize to help you get and keep control of your visualizations is one of color.

Start by finding yourself a quiet place to practice without distractions. I find taking a relaxing soaking bath is a great place and time to do this since no one bothers me while I'm there.

Close your eyes. If you're still seeing little bits of day light coming in, place a cloth over your eyes, just enough to block out all the outside light.

What most people see when they do this is swirling, dots, blotches, all sorts of indistictive images.

Concentrate on removing these images and replacing them with one solid color. Whatever your easiest color is, start with that. For me it was yellow. Now fill your field of vision (your eyes closed of course) with your color. It should be solid without variation and all that you see. It is not a spot of color it is a complete field of color with nothing else in it, no other color in it and nothing else to be seen. Some ppl must attempt this many times before they are able to get one field of color but that's okay because you are training your inner eye to see what you determine it should see.

Once you have succeeded in one color, move on to another color and do the same thing with it. You will move first thru the primary colors Red, Blue and Yellow then onto the secondary colors of Orange, Purple and Green.

At some point you will be able to at will, move to whatever color you want. Then the exercise turns to doing the same thing with your eyes open. You won't see what's in front of you but will only see the color as you did with your eyes closed.

The point of the exercise is to train your inner eye to see in full vision not is hazy spotty or flashing images. It also trains you to be in control of what you see. With visions, you are not controlling the image but recieving it. Even with recieving, there is a need to control the clairity of what you see and to revisit it again at a more appropriate time. The point is that you don't become a part of the vision but that you see it. Astral Projection is all about control and without the needed control you can have serious trouble.

If you have any question, let me know. I would be glad to help.

Brightest Blessings
~MappaM~
May your life not be measured by the breaths you take each moment but the moments that take your breath away.
Brightest Blessings
MappaM

Werewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Werewolf » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:43 am

Thank you all for this stuff!

ImMappa, that makes complete sense. I've been experimenting and it does work. It'll be some time before I can just blank this computer screen out and see a solid colour (I can do it in my mind's eye but not like...outside my mind...you know what I mean) but it is helping me. I've done the colour technique before. I wasn't aware it was a technique.

Again thank you all for your help. :D I appreciate it greatly.