Different Types of Magic

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Different Types of Magic

Post by Kitsune » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:39 pm

So, I'm trying to figure out the different types of magic that we draw off of in the world.

Can anybody help me by figuring out all of them, how we draw from them, how high in energy they are?

I was thinking about it earlier today, and trying to think of all of them.

Ether, Astral, Deity, Nature, People, Civilization... There are lots of sources... Trying to understand how we draw off all of them and when is what I'm finding interesting!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Different Types of Magic

Post by davisherm » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm

VERY interesting topic Kitsune!

I may hang out here for a while and talk it up far too much! I have a couple different methods that I've used that I'll go into here.

First up: Elemental - probably a subgrouping of Natural.

Earth, Fire, Air, Water, and of course the combination of these elements.

I find that they each have their own distinct flavor of energy and they're all manipulated in different ways, however all tied together in an endless cycle.

Earth and water feed the trees, which are part of earth. Fire consumes the trees, returning them to the earth while releasing air. Water quenches the fire. The ashes that remain will feed the next growth. The cycle continues.

Within the last two years I've been working a variant of this elemental magic, having realized that had always been the base of what I was doing before. I've found some amazing success.

Each has it's own rhythm.

Earth energy, which I find to be the most easily tapped into will ebb and flow and change constantly with the seasons. This incorporates all life, plants, animals, people. At its more basic levels, it is simply the physical earth. Dirt. Sand. Rock. There is power in all things. It's just a matter of finding how to unlock it.

Water has three forms (four if you count snow and ice as different) and is used differently in each. The various states of each form, whether it's standing water, fast flowing, slow flowing, raining, fog, clouds, steam, dew, snow melt, slush, they all have a different energetic level and can all be used toward a different purpose. Fast moving water is highly energetic. A driving rain is a harsh, but effective purifier. Fog is a softener. Snow is a much better purifier - much softer and gentle acting. Snowmelt is fantastic for renewal and revitalization.

Fire is about as basic as you can get, but there are still variants, mostly due to the fuel you use. Green timber makes more smoke, which incorporates water and air, and I know some people who use this for divination.

Air is tricky sometimes, but a breezy day contains all the promise of change, and if you can harness that energy, it has some amazing potential. Gusty days are harder to work with as the energy is somewhat more eratic, but it's very powerful and in my experience is very useful for sweeping away the old to make way for a cleansing.

The key is finding the natural rhythm and working with it, not against it.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:56 pm

This is a bit elemental, but if you consider the Thunder beings, and lightning, that is a tremendous power. I know videogames often have elemental Lightning spells. Father Sky, Mother Earth, as archetypes, also.

What about the magic of animals, Raven, for instance, the Shapeshifter and Magician? Or the magic of Heyokah? What about plant magic, as opposed to Earth? Can all energies be split into classes and sub-classes? There are many forms of fire, for instance, and many beings which exibit fire energy, such as a Salamander, for example, but can fire sometimes exibit Salamander energy? Also Father Sky often uses lightning/fire/air, and Mother Earth often uses earth/water, but they are sourced in that archetype.

Colour magic/energy is a marvellous thing to study. The changes that happen in a room and in someone's field is incredible when you only add a bit of rose-coloured light.

Stones, crystals...

Toning, or sound, is amazing. Tone into someone's chakra, and the experience is sublime. You can always tell, almost like a clicking into place, when you reach the right frequency for that chakra. Sacred song has long been in use, and many people have a Power Song. If I am doing some intense energy work on someone, I will sometimes "wake up" to find myself singing or humming as I work.

I realize I am using these examples in terms of healing. That's my main subject, that and manifestation, that is, bringing what is out of form, into form, but that is largely a part of healing as well. Not only do all of these energies have their own "flavour" as Davish put it, but when you experience them on different levels, that is different dimensions, they take on a broader experience.

Thank you, Davish, for putting up the first reply to this. I have been contemplating but unsure of how to phrase it all!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Me, I'm just glad to get some responses. I was starting to wonder if the question was just that basic that nobody wanted to waste the time it would take to answer. :-#

How much energy do we get from these sources? How frequently can we use them? Are they steady, within a range of ebb and flow or are they dependant on all envriomental factors at the time?

I'd love to hear from those who use the ethers and other forms as well as from those who use more of the natural set that were mentioned above. I think it'll be really good if we're all able to increase our knowledge of these different energy bases.

One things no one's mentioned, is how often they draw from these places? I know that I'll draw from nature whenever I get chance, for instance. I stock up on good energy whenever I find it, to help keep me going when the energy to be had around me is dismal.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Well, frankly, Kitsune, the basic things are the hardest to explain! After all, how would you explain the flavor of an apple or strawberry to someone who has never had it?

I think things ebb and flow with the seasons, personally, as different Elemental factors come to prominence. We touch the energies of Nature and the Elements in everything we do, but do we draw from them constantly? I don't think so. Drawing implies conscious intent or thought.

I'd say when we gather energy for working, we draw from the elements most compatible with our souls and our personalities...but our intent colors that. I'm not sure exactly how it really works...as I do most of my Elemental work instinctively. I DO know that I draw most strongly from Water and Air...as those are the two elements that I can feel the rhythm of.

An interesting question...but hard to answer.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:47 am

I have been thinking about this one....to the point where I forgot all about it. #-o

It is a simple question that is difficult to answer. I am not entirely convinced that there really are different types of magic drawn from different places. Sometimes I feel that magic just is and that we will it from within by manipulating our surroundings. If that does not confuse anyone. :-k
I think is is possible to resonate with a certain energy.....resonating is very different from drawing from. I feel energy as vibrations sometimes. I do not really know how to explain it.

Energy is energy. It cannot be destroyed only manipulated.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.