House warding

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

House warding

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 pm

So many of you know that we are closing on our house next week. I want to put a ward around the house and property. Of course my husband wants to do a blessing or something like it, as he's Christian.

Now I have a few questions for you. The first one being do you think that a warding and a blessing will contradict each other at all? My personal opinion is that they shouldn't if the intent is the same. But I'd like to hear what many of you think.

My second question is, can you give me some ideas on how to do this? I've never done true energy work or anything. This will be my first time really. At least consciously. I may have done things subconsciously, but I don't count that. Also, I'd just like a warding that will keep the evil and bad out, and let the good and friendly in. I worry about energies, entities as well as burglars. I want this to be a safe haven, and so I want a good warding for this.

Finally, my last question is should I cleanse the house first? Should this be done before moving anything in? Should I get a friend to help me, or do it myself?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, but your answers may allow me to learn more before getting the new questions :)

Thanks in advance

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:38 pm

I don';t think they contradict at all. If you two disuss together what the goals of your rituals are.

It is fine to do a cleansing, but there is a superstition in my family, never bring an old broom into a new house. There may or may not be anything to this.

Let us know what you decide.h
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:49 pm

I like to smudge before any of the boxes even come into the house. Everything, from cupboards, to doors, etc. It also allows you to make a connection with your new home - and find hidy-holes ^_^ I like to smudge after everything is unpacked and put away, as well.

Bah, if you guys are together this long and this happy, I don't think your blessings/cleansings contradict each other. My SO and I do our own prayers over our food, but they get both, so we can express spirituality in the way that is right for us. I'd say do the blessing and the cleansing. Oftentimes the goal is the same, the outcome is the same, but the path toward it is different. Much fun.

I used to make wards that were like giant glass walls in all directions and above and below. Good energy/entities could come in/out as they choose, negative could leave but could not come in, and neutral could come/go as long as trouble was not caused. In the last warding that I did, I was really fed up with what was happening, and I called in many allies including angels, etc to protect my home. This has worked very well, but I feel the feng-shui of our house is off; unless I open the windows wide after work, my SO and I begin to argue. Hmmmm.

Anyway, some ideas there :) Study some Feng-Shui, because it's a lot easier to start out with this in mind rather than change it all after!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:21 pm

well, my advice is this.

First, you want to cleanse the house of any influence left by the past tenant, including energy, spirits and whatnot. BEFORE anything of yours comes in, clear it out. And cleanse everything you own before bringing it into the house...mainly of any negative from the last house.

I don't think your warding and his blessing will do anything against each other if you both have the same intent.

As for wards, I usually maintain two ward lines, the outer ward line, where I basically have an energy fence set up grounded by the elemental guardians via ward-stones. This is basically a broad-spectrum ward that is keyed up in the winter to be more of a "Privacy" fence, and down it the summer to be more of a chain-link fence. its purpose is to keep negative things away from the house. I try to keep it so that things that are just passing through can go past the house without problems. Granted, I live within view of one cemetery and wind-blow/walking distance from three to five others...so I sort of need a heavy ward line...because it's not just human spirits that hang out in some of these cemeteries. That's something to consider about the wards, what's in the area that might affect the defenses, or might require stronger ones?

My second ward line is up against the house...and it is basically a bubble to keep the house safe from negative spirits and what-not...including the negative intentions of other people. Part of it was salting the foundation and part of it is a witches' ladder of protection in the attic.

Here's the catch...like with any energy working...it needs some way of drawing power. If you don't key it into a natural energy source (My stones are basically that...b/c they're out in the elements and can gather power from them)...or if they're not tied to pull the energy from the "spirit" of the house...they're going to drain you down. They'll see you as the source and draw your power away...making you tired and cranky.

As for the technical "How" do you ward, everyone does it differently, but basically you walk around the space, visualizing how you want it defended, think about where you want the wards to draw energy from...and make sure you complete the circle. I used to smudge the ward-line to cleanse it after the summer, but now I salt the ward-stones to allow them to release energy. For the initial warding, you might want to lay a line of kosher or sea salt around the property.

You definitely want to keep the thought of redirecting negativity while allowing positivity to enter in mind...and also want to make sure the wards will allow negative energy/entities/spirits OUT, but not back IN...like one-way glass.

I hope this helps...b/c I just realized I was out of ideas.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:04 pm

The area is mostly residential, with business a bit behind the house. There is an alleyway between the house and the business, and a couple of fences. I'm mostly wanting to protect against some physical things, like hoodlums and any entities that might be in the area, the negative ones.

Now for me, most of the time, I do not notice entities around me. We are in our own little worlds so to speak. But this is our first home together, and I want to try to keep everything working properly. Come to think of it, now that I'm out of my parents house, I don't fritz things like I used to.

I'm not sure where to get the items for smudging around here, but I can find that out. That shouldn't be to hard. Do you usually say anything while smudging, or do you just burn sage or something similar?

As for the warding, how do you suggest I set the ward. Should I use actual stones, or something else. Keep in mind this is a fairly conservative state, so I don't want to do the whole creeping out the neighbors thing. Also, will salt hurt the grass? They worked very hard to get the grass very green and lush, and I don't want to ruin that.

And what is a witches' ladder. I know I've heard of it, but I can't place it right now.

Geez, I totally sound like a nube. I haven't read this stuff in a while.

Thanks for all the help so far.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Hey, we're all n00bs in one sense or another.

Smudge can be collected yourself, or bought from new-agey shops. It's sagebrush (heh, I use my garden sage because it has a beautiful energy) or you can use cedar, or a blend of that. Incense works well; try frankincense resin on a charcoal burner. Much smoke! Works well ^^
Kystar wrote: I hope this helps...b/c I just realized I was out of ideas.
This gave me a good giggle ^_^ Thanks!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:06 am

FyreGarnet wrote:I'm not sure where to get the items for smudging around here, but I can find that out. That shouldn't be to hard. Do you usually say anything while smudging, or do you just burn sage or something similar?

As for the warding, how do you suggest I set the ward. Should I use actual stones, or something else. Keep in mind this is a fairly conservative state, so I don't want to do the whole creeping out the neighbors thing. Also, will salt hurt the grass? They worked very hard to get the grass very green and lush, and I don't want to ruin that.

And what is a witches' ladder. I know I've heard of it, but I can't place it right now.
I use a commercial bundle of sweetgrass and white sage for smudging...and I usually state my intent while I'm doing it...cleanse this space of negativity, protect my property from those who would harm me or my own, allow no hate or ill-will to pass this line...stuff like that.

Well, as far as the stone go...I got the stepping stone cement at a craft store, got some ziploc disposable containters (pint? cup?) that have a good slant to the sides, filled it with the cement, (blessed the cement mix), when the cement was partially set, I carved a glyph for the element that stone would represent, put a glass "gem" (you know, the flat bottomed ones they have in craft stores?) that matched the color I associate with that element into the stone and let them set. Once they were set...I buried them in the yard at the cardinal points, so they were level with the grass. Now the silly things are almost buried by the grass, but *I* know they're there. Every so often, I'll drift around my yard, like I'm checking the grass and stuff, and sprinkle salt on them, to cleanse them and allow them to release any negativity they hold. (I cleanse this stone and the wards it holds, of any negativity.) And if anyone asks, but you don't want to explain "wards"...you can say they're good luck stones. People are fairly tolerant of "superstitions," amazingly enough.

As for the salt, if you use food quality salt in a thin sprinkle, it shouldn't hurt the grass. Don't make it too heavy, it doesn't have to be like the Hollywood "Circles" that you see drawn in salt, sand, or chalk, it just has to be "closed" enough for the energy to flow.

A Witches' ladder is a braid of either yarn, string or grass (raffia?) that has beads, feathers and other talismans tied into it. It is usually made with intent...either to protect or bring good fortune or good health or something...and hung under the eaves of the house.

One source I've read says that you make one at the end of harvest (Mabon, I think it said, but definitely NOT Samhain,) before the dark half comes, and burn it in the Beltaine fire...but that's sort of strange...b/c between Beltaine and Mabon, your house is down a few degrees of protection. Of course, the source I got that from I can't remember, so it must not have been a book I really trusted!

Hope this little bit helps!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks everyone. That helps a lot. However, since this is a good topic, if you have any more ideas, keep 'em coming. And I'll post something about it all after I've done what I need to for the house.

FyreGarnet

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:44 pm

I had a big problem with nasties in my place until this particular Home Blessing by Dorathy Morrison.
Back in the day, I used to have personal contact with her and she sent me a copy of this ritual (before she published it).

It is now found in her Everyday Sun Magic book on page 246. The only problem is that you have to do it at exactly 12 noon on Tuesday. Some of the things you'd need to order from Azure Green.
Not bad (a little hoaky) site to get witchcraft supplies.

Perhaps you could modify it yourself to fit your needs but, it is really potent.

I combine Catholic stuff with my witch stuff all of the time without any problems. My mother gives me all kinds of candles and oils that have been blessed by priests. If you word things right they work together.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:21 am

LOL, I never even thought about smudging.

Part of your warding can also be gardening and choosing plants too. apparently some plants have warding properties. You may have to google to find out what is available in your area though.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)