Using energy to calm animals?

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 am

Have you had a vet check the horse? (Sorry if I missed the bit if you told us you have)

For abscesses or any such similar thing, at the saddle pressure points, such as under the girth?

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Using energy to calm animals?

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:04 pm

You say her de-spooking was gone whe she "came back" in September. Is it possible she underwent some trauma or mistreatment where she was {the Vet I am supposing} Now, aside from associating it with work, could the saddle and symbolise that trauma to her?
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm guessing that the wreck last Spet. really shook her loose. I'm just now getting back into work and pulling out my complete training books. We're starting from the very, VERY beginning of all of her training, before her previous owner, and we're going to fix it. All of it, from the ground up.

Yes, I've checked everything. Saddle fit, girth/cinch fit. She's completely sound, no limps, sprains, abscesses. Her hooves are a tad long but right now we're not riding. (Too much mud in the corral.) As of the moment, we have absolutely no money to bring a vet in, and I'm afraid if we did, they wouldn't tell us anything for $150 that we couldn't recognize by ourselves. (It costs at the very least $150 and usually more to call a vet to the property vs. trailer the horse all the way out to the vet. it's a 20-30 mile trip, either way.) More and more it looks like I'm going to have to get a job to move her off the property. And the fact that going to the horse forum I registered at gets me in trouble doesn't help. Most of the people at HGS act like I'm some sort of wonder girl... bunch of know-it-alls, but some are genuine. So I quit going there, for now.

As I've read through my favorite workbook for horses, Storey's Guide to Training Horses, I've found that horses need something to focus on, such as a soothing voice. I do talk to a lot more as we groom, but I'm still not planning to ride until the end of summer after we finish fine-tuning her ground manners.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:57 am

I know I'm joining this conversation a little late but it's a subject close to my heart because I grew up around horses, though it's not particularly my passion. You've been talking about your horse not being well but I thought I'd add a different point of view in case she was being a bit lazy,
She's associated my saddle with work now, and she thinks that avoiding it will get her out of it... WRONG.
but only you would know this about your horse. When my Mum was younger she used to ride a horse as a favour to its owner. She said the horse would behave fine in the stable yard but as soon as he was out on the fields he would give her a particular cheeky look and then run break-neck speed and try to throw her. If he did, he would stand still to let her on again, and try to throw her off again. When he had his fun he'd happily trot back to the yard with a smug look on his face. He knew what he was doing. When his disabled owner rode him he was perfect, no trouble, would lower slightly so he could get on and would try to give a gentle ride as possible!

I find explaining to animals what you are going to be doing today and what you expect of them, say it and even imagine the images in your head, gets better behaviour out of them (much like children hehe). And repeat the same words in the same tone for reprimands. My Gran is an expert with horses, and when telling naughty horses off in that firm tone they always listen to her and have an apologetic look, it's astonishing. Hope I haven't repeated what has already been said, and I hope she gets better soon Mahala.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:21 pm

First two paragraphs actually mean something, the third is all the crap that has been fraying my nerves for the last four months.

I've heard of that Max, and I firmly believe in it. That's the method I use on the horse I ride for my sister. The horse who ONLY responds to me, and that's because I don't play off the whole 'she doesn't understand'. (They let this horse get away with stuff because they figure that she's not going to change.) Bullcrap! She's the smartest horse there, pardon her cheeky attitude. Dad keeps thinking about making an offer to my sister to pay her for the horse so she can buy a more child-suited horse for her son. Honey, that's the mare's name, was intended for their now six year old son. But back on topic.

Roxanne has never been very good with bridling either. I have to unscrew the bit from one side because she won't let the browband touch her face, or her ears. But she's gotten better about her ears, after much nagging to let me clean them. After the accident, the trauma could have possibly forced something I've missed up to the surface of the pond, so to speak. Maybe she's never really learned to accept the saddle, but that's going to be remedied anyways when we start from scratch. My only goal right now for this summer is to get her to bridle and saddle without fidgeting, complaint, shying, spooking or other such phooey.

(Beware the rant) An overall update on the conditions... And I'm not really impressed. So far, the horses have been either going without feed and water or just getting barely enough because my sister and her husband can't budget to save their own asses. They can go to Sizzler's and then Golden Corral the next night and blow $143 bucks, but they can't scoop up enough $$$ to buy an $80 Half-ton bale. Like I say to my mother, "If these horses were her children, do you really think she'd even THINK about letting them starve for more than eight hours? Of COURSE not, she loves her children! But apparently not her horses."
Anything I do to keep my own horse clean and warm utterly, miserably, fails. I fix up the stall to give her shelter, they put goats in and then let the horses eat a door that cost nearly $60 just to build and install, then they finally get rid of the hay burners. Dad and I have no money to buy her a warmer, better blanket, and the old one she just barely got is destroyed, thanks to my sister's husband's redneck ass fencing. While we're talking about fencing, let me say that I'm pretty much about to scream at someone. Just because you're too lazy to pick up a few strands of twine and fix the chicken coop fencing does not constitute moving the whole effing hay bin to cover two eight inch holes!
That not only causes my horse to get massive dreadlocks, which nobody tells me about for three months while I'm concentrating on school, but said dreadlocks lead to her ripping out a whopping 4" chunk of her mane. Her tail is still the miserable bush it was last winter, nevermind it's maybe, oh, a whole two inches longer. If they had been feeding right, the horses wouldn't have chewed down almost all the fencing and destroyed the round pen, and they wouldn't have been eating each other's tails.
Plus the fact that now I am the only person who can go out and spend thirty minutes in the freezing ass cold, in the foot deep manure/mud, with one lousy light to trim my horses hooves. Dad won't call the farrier unless my sister wants her horses done too, and my sister "Never has the money because their bills need to be paid".

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:46 am

A few words:
S.ociety (for the)
P.revention (of)
C.ruelty (to)
A.nimals

If someone can't afford to get their horse's hooves taken care of, THEY DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY FOR A HORSE.

I'm sorry, but she can FIND the money for a farrier. If they can't work hard enough to hire a farrier, THEY DO NOT DESERVE A HORSE. Or a child for that matter, because if you are going to let a creature suffer (and believe me, a horse suffers without their hooves taken care of), you are not responsible enough, mature enough, human enough to have a creature under your care and jurisdiction.

If you're going to have an animal, FIND THE MONEY to do it. Sell horse hair bracelets on the street. Pick up a used or free blanket. Convert it. There are ways around it. Call the farrier yourself, and if your dad won't let you, call the cops, because that is animal cruelty. And you're not going to have your horse taken away. He'll get a fine, which will compound the problem of money, but maybe kick his head in a bit to realize that no creature can be neglected that way in North America without legal repercussions.

As for the fence, do it yourself. Obviously they aren't going to. If you don't know how, learn. Better yet, ask them to teach you. Maybe it will help everyone grow closer. If not, oh well. They get their fence fixed while they sit on their butts.

I know you're concentrating on school, but there are people with full-time jobs and full-time school who sleep somewhere between their full-time job and full-time school and their two businesses. If horses are your passion, if you have a dream, it's worth the time and effort and the freezing cold to go take care of them.

Sorry to kick your butt, but... hey motivation! \:D/
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 am

Oh no! A double post!!!

I just want to write: I apologize if the above post came off as crass. I saw my upline speak last night, and this man gets you pumped, and merciless. My intentions were to get you motivated to do better for your horse and your dreams, maybe even a little angry (woo! Big motivator!), but not to otherwise offend you.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:55 pm

I am angry, and I am trying my damndest. I've contemplated getting a job, ANY job, to pay to get my horse off that property and into a barn with daily care. Since I'd be getting maybe minimum wage, $6 here, I was thinking a part time job and doing something off the side. It's the only way I'd be able to make the $300 monthly payment for the stall. (Unless I took up a job as a stable hand at the barn I want to board at, and that position is full.) I've contemplated selling her, but right now the horse market is so poor she'd be much better if I just kept her.
The farrier and stuff I've found a temporary solution. When we can't get a farrier out, I do it myself. It's free, and it's fast, and I don't have to nag and nag for three weeks to get it done. My only complaint is we need to get out to a local feed store and buy our spring worming treatment, and also get her spring vaccinations. I'm paying for them since I have money this week.
I did all the fencing repairs last summer, on my own, with nothing but twine. I spent every night out checking fences when it wasn't 100 degrees. I can't fix the wood fencing by myself though; There's no more wood and no more bolts! ](*,) I'd have to scavenge, we've already rebuilt the one pen with the same destroyed pieces six times. Right now, though, is completely different. A nasty storm in December blew down two of the so-called 'wind break' trees my sister hasn't decided to cut down in the back pasture. (They're all dead trees for crying out loud!) One just happened to land on part of the stud's pen fence, luckily the only metal piece of the fencing. I'd have to cut up both trees and remove them by myself with no help. I'm simply not strong enough to move 60-80 pound tree trunk pieces through 6" of muck.

The problem with calling SPCA, or cops, is that first off, I'm just barely sixteen and I'm not the one paying for the hay and equipment. (Ha, since I won't be riding, I should sell it all. It's worth around $3,000.) So if I complain, they'll blackmail me, and I can't do anything about that. :axe: Second is that dad's already being hounded for my mother's fraudulent use of child support when my dad was, in fact, still living with us. He pays around $125 of his income towards that, the arrears and such. Plus he pays out lights, gas, phone (house & 4 cells), internet. All of that has recently come up to around $900. So even if I did call someone, it doesn't put me anywhere better and I'd have to quickly find a home for 5 horses.

I don't mind, I've already gone through what you've been saying in my mind. If I can just survive the next two years, I'm planning going to a college that's far enough away from this city that I could hopefully pay someone to use their pasture. (Ever heard of Ephraim, UT? Gorgeous city!) I recently checked, and the boarding stable I'd like to go to is quite close to my school. It'd be an easy walk for me; I'd just have to get a ride home.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 pm

Hun, I am glad to hear you are doing all that.
Crazy Healer Lady

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 am

Mahala, it sounds like you are trying to swim against a current of stoopidness :-( . You care so much and are doing everything you can, your horse is going to really appreciate you being there for her. Situations like this make you want to scream, but hang on in there. I just wanted to send some support.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks CHL. And yes, it's swimming against the current. But recently, I've been given a small gift of happiness. If I haven't mentioned my orchestra eligibility... Well, to explain from the beginning I have to go back to earlier this month.

If you haven't known, I'n an advancing young violinist, now a second chair first violin. (In basic English, that means I'm like the big toe of the orchestra; I'm important.) Mrs. Baumgart, further referenced as Mrs. Gee, told the class at the beginning of the year we need 2.0 GPAs to stay active in this class. We're a 'competing group', so we face the same crap sports teams do. Knowing this, I kept my grades up on pain of death or worse by the word of Gee. But second quarter wasn't so nice to me, and I failed English. My GPA was 1.9 at the end of the quarter, and that's the way it was for two weeks after, until some unknown teacher submitted a late paper. Last week was when the eligibility for our regional competition was due, along with an anti-hazing form, a grade print out, and the lavender eligibility forms. Just this week, I was messing around and checked my GPA for last quarter. It had risen to 2.043, making me eligible, but I didn't know if I could still turn the forms in. Luckily, by whatever Hand of Providence that decided to curl around my life, I can submit the forms and stay in orchestra. (I just about bawled at the end of second quarter because orchestra is not only my 'second home', it's the thing I love most besides horses, art, and writing.) So now I'm really happy.

Since I've explained that... (Pardon ANOTHER long post.) Still thinking about jobs, while planning my registration for junior classes. I've really no idea what I want to do yet, it's Friday. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and get out to go worm Roxy for the spring. :GHug: Thanks guys; Nobody can swim upstream unless they've got buddies upstream waiting to give them hugs.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:08 pm

WOO CONGRATS!!

And hugs abound. All you have to do is open your arms, and we're in :)
Crazy Healer Lady

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 am

Congratulations musician :-)

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Well it's a bit late, but last week I got out and rode bareback with the bridle on. Roxanne's getting better about letting me touch her face now, and getting the bridle on wasn't HALF as much of a fuss! (BIG shocker for me.) Other than one spook and a couple scares, she was fairly decent for me. As soon as the mud clears up and the ground is stable enough we'll try some better work. Another BIG step-stone: She turned in when I had her in the round pen! I dunno if you know what that means, but she's starting to come back to me now. I think that now that I'm happy she'll be happier with me. So glad that our first real lesson went well. :smt003 I checked her teeth too when the bridle was in. It is fit well, and she doesn't have wolf teeth anywhere I can see.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:05 am

YAY!!!! Congrats! So she's aiming for your attention again??? I'm thinking The Man who Listens to Horses here.
Crazy Healer Lady