Using energy to calm animals?

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Using energy to calm animals?

Post by Mahala » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:53 pm

I might have posted this before, but this is specific. I was having some... well, a BIG problem a few weeks ago when my horse Roxanne threw me a few times with NO provocation. I decided that it might not be a good idea to ride (Close call, almost went to the ER) so I've been brushing her only.

What I was wondering, and this is based off of any horseman's knowledge of, "If you're scared, they can feel it."... Can you use your own energy to help a jittery animal keep calm? I'm normally very relaxed the minute I get into any saddle, even on a (relatively) inexperienced horse. The only problem is that the day I was thrown, I was completely calm... I even managed to shout "I don't know!" as she bolted for the fence full speed. :shock: I don't think it had anything to do with the other horses being out back because she was all-around bad that day. She spooked once from one of the other horse's slamming into a metal gate, which resulted in my first flight.

Maybe I could make a charm or satchel to enhance the flow of energy between person>horse? She seems to like the smell of my pomegranate spray that I wear, but I have no idea what properties that fruit has.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:28 am

Yes, you can use energy to try and help keep an animal calm, but like people and Reiki healing, they can not allow your energy to merge with theirs.

I don't know about an energy flow sachet, but what about a communication talisman? Something that might help you understand her signals better, and her understand yours beyond trained commands?
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:29 am

Energy can definitely be used to calm animals, and people, too. Whenever we are holding our tarantulas, we make sure we are calm and relaxed. They quite literally taste your emotions, and the hormones released from your body as you feel them. If you are flighty, they are flighty. That is why if someone is afraid of them, we do not let them hold the spiders.

I find that if a horse will spook, she wil spook. What we did to help ours to get a bit more courage was to carry around one of those fibreglass whips when we were outside. She knew the sound of it, was afraid of it (not because we'd hit her or anything!), and we always kept it low to the ground. However, we'd carry it on us - again, tip touching the ground - when feeding, brushing, etc. Similarly, whenever my dad would throw hay over the fence, he'd do it in a plastic woodshavings bag, something that was very loud, just so that she would not spook at the loud noise.

Anyway, that took years. In the meantime, perhaps focus on creating a loving space within yourself and around yourself. In doing this I have had wild cats come up for pets. Hard to explain, but if you can connect to that ecstatic feeling of love and oneness, and then look to them and focus on them, you are connecting with them on a fourth and sixth level, which are the levels of relationships and of spiritual ecstasy. Because energy systems interact with eachother even if there is just a thought about the other, even over great distances, this is a very good way to help create a calm space for your horse.

You can send healing if she allows, which is wonderful. However, I feel that it will have to start at home first. Love is something that all creatures react to. If you connect to that oneness/love in yourself, and spread it outward, animals (and people) respond extraordinarily.

I really sound like a hippy, but these are my experiences
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:32 pm

A talisman might work... Or I was wondering another thing recently. Is it possible for bad... or very stressful emotions can be 'stuck' in an object? Taking a look back at her, I notice that when I go bareback, without my saddle, she is calm, responsive, and listens. Even after the major accident in September. She was wearing the saddle when that accident happened, and hasn't been saddled until the other incident, when she nearly sent me to the ER a second time... But I got on a few weeks after the second near-call and she was fine, and last weekend even during a noisy party. All without a saddle.

So if that was possible, perhaps I should 'cleanse' the saddle, and on a second thought, have the fit checked out again. (Something about the frame inside being cracked, compressed, or widened when she rolled, though it should be a sturdy frame for such an expensive saddle.) And I've done all of her de-spooking, she did quite well. She was on regular walks through the neighborhood and she did well around lawnmowers, weed whackers, dogs, cars etc. until that accident. (Accident was my fault entirely for misjudging.)

I know about the love, the time I got on right after September's accident, I trusted her as much as I ever did, and she was fine. It's taken a long time to build up on the trust and love, but she's like... my child. Nothing she does is truly 'wrong' unless it's something serious. (I.E.- Throwing people... :roll: ) I wonder if learning to give healing massages might be a good idea, she seems too jumpy sometimes.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:04 pm

Yes, objects can absorb negative energy that can influence people and animals. Most often, it's hugely traumatic...like a murder or death...that imprints things the strongest (which actually causes a type of haunting, called residual). However, I DO believe that lesser traumas can imprint too, which might be the case here. Or, she's associating the saddle with negative events (pain? Fear?) which makes her more skittish when she's wearing it. I know that my cat associates her harness with the vet, and therefore hates the thing! Animals make associations between items and events too, so that memory might be affecting things.

If this is the second time you've had trouble while ridding with the same saddle, I'd go with both ideas. The energy might be causing a problem...but don't forget to go with the common sense problems that might be there...such as the saddle doesn't fit properly...or there's something ON the saddle that spooks her. Have it looked over for something that could cause her pain, discomfort or whatever, and yes, cleanse the saddle of negative energy.

Good luck.

And if you're really looking for help...you can look back in mythology to see who was associated with horses and how, and maybe ask for their guidance. Like I know there was a Celtic Goddess associated with horses, Epona.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Definately traumatic experiences, whether we consider them to be so or not.

Cleanse the saddle, and also, have you tried discussing it with her. That sometimes she has to wear the saddle, but that she shouldn't feel afraid with it on.

It may sometimes seem like a one-sided conversation, but they do listen, and will understand if you try.

I've noticed that if I tell my cat Minkers when I'll be home after work, he's much calmer during the day than if I forget to tell him, or if I come home late. It could be that you simply haven't properly explained why the saddle's needed so she doesn't see the point of getting over the bad associations with it.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Re: Using energy to calm animals?

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:10 am

Mahala wrote: Maybe I could make a charm or satchel to enhance the flow of energy between person>horse? She seems to like the smell of my pomegranate spray that I wear, but I have no idea what properties that fruit has.
Try this;

Carve it on the saddle, or carve it in a bit of YEW, and keep it with you when you ride.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Since I don't know nearly enough about runes, even if it's not my question... What does that mean exactly? Does it have to be carved a specific way? Does it call on a certain God in particular?

Sorry, just wondering...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:49 pm

Yes, I'm going to be going through an in-detail checklist of the saddle's fit. She was an angel before, but she has had previous saddle problems. (When she came home October of '06, she would NOT tolerate saddle or pad anywhere near her...) She's fine with the saddle, but another thing I'm going to try is different mouth pieces. She's in her 'beginner' mouthpiece right now, what I had her in both times she was acting up was something less severe. I might try this weekend or next week to saddle her up and ride a little. I'll definitely try to talk to her, though I might not be able to do much, too many people watch.

I don't know if I can get ahold of some yew, but I know if I dared to carve that into an $800 saddle, dad would be mighty pissed...
#-o Of course, I can still lift up the outer layers and carve it into the leather that's not visible... And for SURE I'm wearing my helmet every time I ride. Now that she's shown how much of a loose cannon she can choose to be... I still wuv her.

My Psionic Nature
Level 1
Level 1

Post by My Psionic Nature » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Mahala wrote:I'll definitely try to talk to her, though I might not be able to do much, too many people watch.
Never be afraid/ashamed to talk to your animals in public. How many people speak to animals such as Parrots, Dogs, Cats etc....
Many people have a spiritual experience. I'm a spiritual being having a human experience!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:36 pm

I agree. Animals need to be talked to as humans in human company. Never be embarrassed. Anyone who thinks you weird for talking to you horse obviously has never had one (and been a good rider) and I pity their children. "She's too young; don't bother talking because she can't understand yet."
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 am

Kitsune wrote:Since I don't know nearly enough about runes, even if it's not my question... What does that mean exactly? Does it have to be carved a specific way? Does it call on a certain God in particular?

Sorry, just wondering...
It is made up of a few.

But. Horse/man, which are the same rune (SOMETIMES!)

Tyrs rune for justice/victory/safety.

Fehu, which is "cattle as property" but ANY animal that is domesticated.

Ingwas, the femail power.

Alhaz, Protection.

All bound together to make horse and rider as one.

Mahala. If you can not get Yew, Ash is also good. Or, as you say UNDER the saddle where it can not be seen is ideal. Only you and the horse know it is there.

As to God/ess....????

Hmm. Odin on Sleipnir, or Tyr.

Hertha/Frigga if you prefer to go with the female side more.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Mahala » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:26 pm

About the talking to animals,... if it looks as though I'm talking to a kid, my dad would think I was insane. I talk to 'myself' when grooming and such.

So yesterday... No incident. I was smart enough to notice... she threw a HUGE fit when I tried to get the saddle pad on. In total, it took me two minutes. Dad was saying who else might have done this to her and yada yada... it's the saddle. She's associated my saddle with work now, and she thinks that avoiding it will get her out of it... WRONG. (I did talk to her as she got a nice, long brushing before we tacked up. She was very calm then.) I eventually got her tacked, and she started to fuss when I tried to tighten up the girth/cinch. (For non-horse, the strap under the belly.)

I decided that even though she was calm during brushing, that the fuss with the saddle has to be taken care of. I didn't ride, and probably won't, but we did work with... GASP! A big, scary cat food bag. #-o I walk the horse, dad shakes the bag... every time she spooked and sped up at least a little... so I also know she's lost of of her de-spooking after that accident. We worked with that bag for an hour, which is four times as long as it took last summer, but I kept calm and soon she caught on. (I talked her through it. She seems to react better to voice than to a leash.) I did, however, feel her energy whenever she got spooked. Instead of what used to be "Oh... AH! Oh, it's nothing..." Now it's... "OH MY GOD! RUN!".

As soon as the bag got anywhere near her she wanted to bolt. Which worries me... After all was said and done, I took the saddle off and we had a little bit of socializing to do. Once again, she was calm, when the saddle was gone... And that reminds me, I went looking for tools to do the carving - Turns out, to do it so it even looks like that rune, I'd have to buy the leather carving tools, a simple set. Screwdrivers do not work, at least without destroying something.

I've decided since she thinks she can anticipate work (Naughty booger), we're not riding with the saddle always, and every day is something completely different. I'm planning on retracing every step of training I did last summer, which took the whole summer but at least she'll be safe to ride again. I was not too happy about dad suggesting that we sell her... although if it came to it I have no choice, I can't be greedy. I'm sure that she'll get back to... the *cough* ANGEL she used to be, I don't think I trust her any less but she's a loose cannon.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Seriously, if your dad doesn't understand that talking to an animal can keep them from reacting negatively to a situation, that you can get an animal to associate your voice with safety, he needs to go back and re-learn how to train animals!

In EVERY behavioral class I've been in, been exposed to or spoke to the teacher/professor about...the solid fact remains that you can teach an animal to associate the sound of your voice with certain events, either a food reward, or safety. I mean, one of my classmates taught a rat to respond to the overture to a musical!

Sigh... :-?

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:46 pm

I agree... Tell him that even if it does nothing physically for the animal but calm her down, that in itself is a benefit.

Just keep the fact that she may be talking back to you to yourself.

Oh, and learn to sense what her motive is in these situations... As you mentioned, if she feels that it's going to be work, she'll tell you she's not feeling ready, she's tired, she's terrified... all in the hopes that you'll simply keep bowing to her whims.

I swear, animals can be just as big liars as we can sometimes. (Speaking from my experience, at least)