Question regarding Guardians

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Question regarding Guardians

Post by Paganlight » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:44 am

OK, this is a toughie. Another friend has asked me a question regarding spirit guardians and totems - they seem to think I have the answers to everything regarding this sort of thing, just cos I'm clairsentient! :lol:

Anyway, quite a serious question - is it possible for a spirit guardian or totem to attatch itself to a new 'owner' for lack of a better word, after its first 'owner' has died? He's really concerned about this as he's worried he's being tracked by a manipulative spirit, though its 'owner' has since passed on. We (his friends) are worried about it too.
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:37 pm

I think it would be perfectly feasible for an entity to attach itself to you. Totems too. There has been evidence for a familial totem e.g. one totem for the whole family.

Spirits are slightly different to totems in that there is a certain degree of volition for spirits that might not occur with entities of pure energy or totems. If your friend has aquired a spirit, it may be that this spirit has chosen to attach itself to him and part of ridding him of the spirit will have to be discovering why it was attracted to him in the first place.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:59 pm

A totem or guide will only attach to someone who needs to learn something that the totem or guide can teach them, OR needs to be protected from something the totem/guide can protect against.

Spirits are a little different. I'd try to do a reading to see what the thing wants.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:26 pm

Guides, spirits and totems get lonely too. And sad if someone they were attached to closely has died. If it is unattached it may be looking for a new "friend" - or as Krystar says it sees something in your friend that tells it that it is needed.

As far as Maliciousness, what does your friend feel when it is around. Have them forget about the fact that the previous 'owner' has died and just focus on what feelings the spirit inspires. If it is still creepy or troublesome, a cleaning might be necessary, otherwise just try to learn what it needs to teach.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:12 pm

Dark Waters wrote: - or as Krystar says
Kystar, DW, K-y-s-t-a-r.

It's a play on Tri-star...which I know is a movie studio...but it started as a play on Triforce...b/c the RPG character I gave the name to originally had three magical powers.

That character faded fast, but the name stuck, and was eventually given to a LARP character of mine, whose birth name was "Stella" but wanted to distance herself from her family unit...so she adopted Kystar. Eventually, it became my second name. To this day, there are people out there who wouldn't know who "Suzanne" was, but who would jump up and go "I know Kystar D'Angaron!" (D'Angaron - of Angaron - the realm of the LARP was Angaron)

And yes, there are some who consider it my magical name.

And yes, I'll forgive you if that was a typo.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:43 pm

I do most humbly apologize m'lady.

As Dean Martin used to say:

"My tounge got in the way of my eye-tooth and I couldn't see what I was saying." ;)

Seriously though sometimes I am typing faster than I'm thinking and for some odd reason I always seem to see your name with that phantom "r". Maybe it is because I see you and think Krystal/Crystal.

It was a typo and I'll try to remember to check myself more.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Ah, that would explain why that strange R shows up every time someone misspells that particular name of mine.

LOL...no hard feelings. It's not HALF as bad as the butchering my maiden name used to take!

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:06 am

OK, thanks everyone! I'll do the reading, and see what comes of that. :D
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:16 am

Of what I know of totems and guides, of what mine have told me, although as anyone who channels will know that the information is subjective, Guides can and often are guides for more than one person. I have met an individual, and one of his major spirit Guides was Jesus, and surely he can't be a Guide for more than one person. Not bound by time/space/all the usual laws, they can be many places at once. Guides are still learning, too. It's not so much a lonliness thing, unless you are talking about those who pass on and come back as spirits to those they love to help them along, such as in a case where a wife will come back to help her husband along.

Totems are a marvellous type that really have astonished me through the years. They are animals - spirit of the animal itself. If I have say a duck totem, I do not have A duck totem, it is DUCK who is my totem animal. Then there are power animals. The totem animal is that which is you, in essence. There are bear people and there are cougar people and there are mouse people. All of these people also have power animals that come and go as lessons need to be learned. Some stay many, many years. A totem animal will not usually leave, unless there is something dramatic and/or very exceptional.

The thing that power animals and guides have in common is that they will come and go. They stay various lengths of time - sometimes entire lifetimes - but it all depends on how much you can learn from each other.

If your friend is feeling maliciousness, this is NOT a Guide. This is a spirit. And Guides/power/totem animals do not have "owners" but "partners" I believe is a better fitting word. I do not own my power animals. It is considered disrespectful to pet your power animals in the spirit world as you would your physical pet, although I must admit I have a different relationship with one of my power animals and we often hug and groom and play.

Once again, if the being is feeling malicious, this is NOT a Guide. Anything malicious should be removed from you IMMEDIATELY. They CAN be easily removed, without the drama of most extractions, but that takes a mindset that, honestly, often takes years to develop, and also somewhat of a relationship with your Guides.

There are many ceremonies available on this board and others. A helpful addition I feel would be smudge, but that depends on your own beliefs.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:20 pm

All I can tell you is that my guide picked me, but it has helped me watch my family when things are going rough for them.

I agree with Kystar, ask the guide/totem.

On a side note, did anyone ever watch Darkwing Duck? When Kystar typed DW, the theme song just started spinning through my head.

"When there's trouble You call D-W"!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 pm

I prefer the Tale Spins theme.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:05 am

What's wrong Dee Dubbaya????!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:36 am

I loved Darkwing Duck as a kid... Or perhaps more appropriately, I loved Morgana...

I had a thing as a kid for sexy witches, what can I say?

Grimwell says I still haven't grown out of that though! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:40 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:What's wrong Dee Dubbaya????!!
Just for you then:

Darkwing Duck Theme
Daring duck of mystery,
Champion of right,
Swoops out of the shadows,
Darkwing owns the night.
Somewhere some villain schemes,
But his number's up.

(3-2-1)
Darkwing Duck
(When there's trouble you call DW)
Darkwing Duck
(Let's get dangerous)
Darkwing Duck
(Darkwing, Darkwing Duck!)

Cloud of smoke and he appears,
Master of surprise.
Who's that cunning mind behind
That shadowy disguise?
Nobody knows for sure,
But bad guys are out of luck.

'Cause here comes
(Darkwing Duck)
Look out!
(When there's trouble you call DW)
Darkwing Duck
(Let's get dangerous)
Darkwing Duck
(Better watch out, you bad boys)
Darkwing Duck!

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:43 am

But I really like the Jungle Beat on this one:

TaleSpin Theme
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Spin it!
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
Let's begin it
Bear 'n' grin it
Spin it!

Oh-ee-yeah (Talespin)
Oh-ee-yo (Talespin)

Friends for life through think and thin
with another tale to spin

Oh-ee-yeah (Talespin)
Oh-ee-yo (Talespin)

All the trouble we get in
with another tale to spin

Spin it
Spin it again

Oh-ee-yeah (Oh-ee-yeah)
Oh-ee-yo (Oh-ee-yo)
Oh-ee-yeah (Oh-ee-yeah)
Oh-ee-yo (Oh-ee-yo)
Hey hey hey

Spin it, let's begin it
bear and grin it
when your in it
You can win it
in a minute
when you spin it spin it spin it
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
So spin it
Talespin!

Either way I'm just a party "animal"