Crystal turning colour?

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Crystal turning colour?

Post by Paganlight » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:37 am

OK, everyone, I need help. A friend of mine (who has just joined this forum but is unable to post yet) has asked me why her amethyst point is turning orangey-brown. She uses it to absorb energies from her computer - could it just be a case of cleansing it? If so, what methods would you recommend? I usually cleanse my crystals by dropping them in spring water and leaving them on the window overnight, and I gave her that advice, but that didn't work with this one.

To give more detail, the amethyst point is a large one, looking almost clear until towards the point where it begins to turn purple, and the orangey-brown seems to be occuring inside the crystal, looking almost like rust, and nearly covers the purple of the amethyst.
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:45 pm

It may be that it needs more time that overnight. I generally cleanse my crystals for 24 hours, or 72 hours if it needs heavy duty cleansing. I don't cleanse crystals in water (if the crystal is friable it can break the crystalline structure) I generally submerge the crystal in rock salt and leave it in an area that catches a lot of sunlight!

Someone I know had a amethyst cluster for the same reason (absorbing computer energy) which wouldn't cleanse with any of the usual ways, but one day when she picked it up, one of the points cut her hand and the crystal was sprayed with blood. After that it was cleansed and started working again. I don't recommend blood sacrifice, but sometimes if you tune into the crystal's energies it may tell you how it wants to be recharged.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:52 pm

Amethyst can actually change color as it is exposed to heat/light/energy. Sometimes, the change is permanent.

Take into consideration that Citrine (Yellow/gold sometimes with sparkles in it) is ACTUALLY Amethyst...there is no crystalline or chemical difference in the stones except that Citrine was heated either by nature or by man in a kiln-type environment. The amount of heat = the purity of the color change.

If a polished Amethyst is regularly exposed to temps around 100 degrees, or enough light to heat the core of the crystal to that point on a regular basis, it WILL begin to change colors.

Cleansing the stone might be a first step, but rethinking what it's used for and where it's stored might help. Making it an energy stone for divination tools that are stored in a closed box/bag might help. Or just putting it in a bag out of heat sources.

I had a chunk of amethyst that was on my computer desk at work...the purple started to pale out because the sun it was exposed to on a daily basis was too intense. It never darkened again when I took it home, but it stopped fading.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:02 am

Thanks! Kystar - I didn't know that about Citrine. I've advised her to try different cleansing, and told her what you said about the storage and rethinking what it's used for. I use Smoky Quartz for my computer, and I've suggested that for an alternative.
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:19 am

Awesome, Kystar!

Also, although this would seem to be a physical change caused by physical environment, I have seem crystals change for "No Reason" (is there such a thing?) They have changed colour and changed back again, GROWN points and grown larger (not my crystals, but others'), split, etc. Very cool!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:14 am

Metaphysical energy is STILL energy, and WILL affect a crystal.

I've had a polished stone grow rough when it was put to help cleanse something.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:22 pm

Metaphysical energy is STILL energy, and WILL affect a crystal.
Definately, mon ami :)

I think the difference is noteworthy if a crystal cracks from the heat of the sun or the energy pouring through someone's hands :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:05 am

Absoloutey, CHL! :-D