Runes

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Runes

Post by underlilith » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 am

Well I've kinda been looking into runes a little bit, but some of this confuses me, some of the letters of the elder futhark (even when translated) as letters i've never seen before, more specifically perp. Is this just because it's for another language/alphabet?

and, do you usually use these for inscriptions by the alphabet form of it or do you use their meanings (such as fehu meaning wealth)?

Comments, links, sources, insights, etc. are all welcome.

Thank you :-D
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:41 am

I've been meaning to start exploring runes for a while, but I do ok with my Tarot.

I do believe you are supposed to focus more on the meaning.

But what it comes down to is not that the stones, and I wouldn't get runes unless they were real stone, have a power - but that they are a focusing lens for the power within you. It can be runes, tarot cards, tea leaves, bones, whatever - you just have to find the medium that works best with your energies. Otherwise it is like wearing glasses with the wrong perscription, you might be able to see, but it will be blurry and distorted.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:15 am

Actually I have a set, but they're plastic... I'm hoping to convince my guy or somebody to buy me a set of gemstone ones off the web.

I find that they work just fine though, even though they're plastic. Don't ask me for advice though. I use the Blank Rune and everyone else I know who uses them is disgusted with me for it. :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Don't look at me...I got so confused and frustrated with the Norse rune set that I ended up creating my own Elemental Runes instead.

I had a set that my then BF got me, polymer resin of some sort...worked okay...but I could never get anything RESEMBLING a clear answer unless they were my friend's runes. It doesn't help when all three stones contradict each other.

Then again, when I'm reading my runes for me, they're sarcastic...how, I'm not sure b/c the meanings never change...but yet somehow I always get a sense of sarcasm.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:18 am

I didn't just mean for divination, i meant for inscriptions and things as well, however, coments on divination are welcome too! :-D

Just thought I'd clarify for ya. :-D
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:53 am

Oh, well...I guess it would be the meaning of the rune + your intent....but that's something I've never done.

Except I got my staff carved with my personal elemental rune set...instead of regular runes...b/c like I said, I can't work with them.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:24 am

underlilith wrote:I didn't just mean for divination, i meant for inscriptions and things as well, however, coments on divination are welcome too! :-D

Just thought I'd clarify for ya. :-D
In that case, I would guess it would depend on what you are trying to say.

If you are trying for a specific word or name, you would use them phonetically. If you are going for a concept, go with the symbolism of the runes.

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:35 am

Darkwarters has it. If you're wanting them to write with (eg your name) it's phonetically.

Here's a great image which helps: Image

By the way, that funny little p is pronounced 'th'.

So I would choose the ones that spelt the word if I was writing something down.

However, if I wanted to (for example) draw wealth to me, I would use the single rune 'fehu'.
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:58 am

Hey, a little off topic but I was reading an Ah My Goddess comic where the main Characters are the three sistes of time. The main Character Belldandy is reading the runes for her sister Urd... And she's using a specific board to find out exactly what the runes pertain to in their meaning. Picking one out and putting on the board inside the different circles, and then reading them based on that, if I'm making sense. :lol:

Anyways, I would love to see what the board is supposed to look like, and what each of the circles stand for and everything else about it! :-D

So if anyone knows and has one, or just have a picture or something, post on here and let me know, kay? Please.... [-o< [-o< [-o<

If nobody has a clue, I can try to find the comic and post it here, in case my description was just that bad... :oops: Thanks!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:09 am

I don't know anything about a board, but there are ways of reading runes in a similar way to tarot cards, by laying them out in a certain pattern - http://dionaea.com/fun/runes.php shows one of the layouts at the bottom of the page, and you can see that the position of the rune there determines how that rune should be read.

Sorry, more off-site links, I know.
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:21 am

Kitsune wrote:Hey, a little off topic but I was reading an Ah My Goddess comic where the main Characters are the three sistes of time. The main Character Belldandy is reading the runes for her sister Urd... And she's using a specific board to find out exactly what the runes pertain to in their meaning. Picking one out and putting on the board inside the different circles, and then reading them based on that, if I'm making sense. :lol:

Anyways, I would love to see what the board is supposed to look like, and what each of the circles stand for and everything else about it! :-D

So if anyone knows and has one, or just have a picture or something, post on here and let me know, kay? Please.... [-o< [-o< [-o<

If nobody has a clue, I can try to find the comic and post it here, in case my description was just that bad... :oops: Thanks!
The Japanese have odd ways of combining other religions into theirs. I haven't found anything specific to Japanese variants of rune reading.

However you must realize that the Ah! Megumi {Ah! My Goddess} series is a fantasy creation and the author wasn't limited by the actual rules of Japanese beliefs and practices. In fact, and here is a kicker the three goddess characters; Urd, Belldandy and Skuld; are based on the Norms {or Fates} Norse Mythology; Urth, Velthandi and Skuld.

What has always confused me about the series was the relationship about the goddesses and their area of influence. The author said their positions could be gleaned by the object they rode in the opening credits of the first TV series. Belldandy rode a simple Broom, Urd a Vacuum cleaner and Skuld rode something that looked like a cross between a robotech mecha and a broom. To me that indicated Belldandy was the Goddess of the Past, Urd of the Present and Skuld of the future. However the fact that Urd is the Older sister has led many people to believe that she is the goddess of the past and Belldandy the goddess of the present {something I find completely incompatible with the character's personalities}, which makes it more in line with the Norse legends because Urth is the past and Velthandi the present.

I thought the author was making a deep philosophical statement by making Urd {present} older than Belldandy {past} and was saying that at the start of time you had to have a present before you could have a past. But now it looks like it was nothing more than an error for fun.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:26 am

Strangely enough, I knew all that history... :lol:

And I think the reason that they made the ages so different considering what their names mean is more true if you look at their character traits as well.

Belldandy is the Perfect woman, and she is the present... The writer obviously meant that we should be appreiciating what have in the here and now. Urd (Past) is portrayed as a sexy, arrogant, and in control woman, but more importantly, she's not just a goddess, she's also half demon... meaning that we tend to idealize the past, and are more willing to look past any faults we see because it's tradition to do so... Skuld is portrayed as a child, who has yet to even gain her "angel", because the future is still maleable, and hasn't been written yet.

I was asking because although they don't stick to true meanings, they do sometimes actually study something before they put it in... I have another book set at home, where one of the characters uses runes, and also has cloth "board" that he keeps with them, also marked with "arcane symbols" that mean house and home and such... He throws the runes, and only the ones that land inside the circles are read... It just seemed like a very cool way to read them, and

I thought that with these many references to a "board" that can be used, that perhaps there was one. I may simply have to buck up and make one myself for them... Thanks though!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:58 am

There are various ways to read Bones that involve a board or embroidered cloth...and only the Bones that fall into the symbols count.

I've seen a painting of a Native American Medicine Woman throwing the bones to decide what treatment was needed...she had a decorated basket with a flat bottom for that. There were designs worked into the weave, I think.

Though, that fits with the randomness required by the runes...b/c if you have a handmade set, there are bound to be differences that you will eventually learn, causing you to pull the runes you WANT instead of the runes you NEED.

Hmm...thoughts, thoughts...oh well.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:32 am

The two ways of reading runes I've found so far are:

1} either to set up a trio in a line {past-present-future} or in a cross with questioner in the middle past on the bottom, present to the sides and future on top.

OR

2} casting them in some variable of a group.

With casting it was usually done onto a small cloth or fur and the ones face down or off the cloth weren't read. Of the ones face up the ones closest to the caster were the past working toward the future as you moved away. I can see how in various ways the casters began to add to the simple cloth with symbols to enhance the reading either by glyphs meant to enhance the reader's powers or to give a more organized path to follow.

In my opinion, you shouldn't weigh down divination of any type with too many rules and strictures because that limits your own abilities to see beyond the tools themselves and into the meanings they are trying to guide you to. But some people feel more comfortable with lots of trappings, and it is better to be comfortable and at ease when trying to do these things.

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Runes

Post by Sìle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 pm

The resources I found useful for working with runes, aside from the Edda :smt002 , were the following:

Runes: Alphabet of Mystery;
Runesound ~ where you can hear them pronounced;
"Runes: An Introductory Guide to Interpreting the Ancient Wisdom of the Runes" by Bernard King;
"Way of the Runes" by Bernard King.