Actual dreams that led to many great inventions

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Actual dreams that led to many great inventions

Post by FyreGarnet » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:42 am

Much of this is coming from a book that I own that cited many examples of dreams that gave people ideas for inventions and such. This book is called “Our Dreaming Mind: A Sweeping Exploration of the Role that Dreams Have Played in Politics, Art, Religion, and Psychology, From Ancient Civilizations to the Present Day” by Robert L. Van de Castle, PH.D. It is an interesting read, and I highly suggest you pick it up sometime and read it if you are interested in dreams.

My first selection to give to you though, as mentioned above, is a collection of dreams that were used in order for many things to be created. This will give you an idea how some cited dreams were very important in history, and could be important to you.

Some are authors or painters while others are scientists or merely creators.

Jean Cocteau had a dream that he was watching a three-act play in a theater about characters that he had no historical background on. This dream inspired him to do some research which led to his production of “Knights of the Round Table.”

George Frederic Handel dreamed the last movements of his oratorio “The Messiah.”

Guiseppe Tartini dreamed that he gave his violin to the devil, who played it with great skill. The sonata that the devil played was so beautiful that when he woke up, he grabbed his violin and tried his best to remember it all. He was not successful in this feat, but produced the “Devil’s Sonata” in trying to reproduce the one from his dream.

In 1964, Jack Nicklaus -a well-known golfer- told of how he was having a bad slump. He tried everything to get back on track, but he was never successful with these attempts. Then, one night he dreamed of holding his golf club in a different manner and swinging perfectly. When he tried this new method the next day, it worked perfectly.

Many of you may know the story of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. There was a group of friends one night in 1816 telling ghost stories and such. After hearing some of these stories, Lord Byron suggested everyone write a horror story. Mary Shelley slept that night, with a nightmare that came to be her best selling book.

Robert Louis Stevenson was desperate financially, and was trying for two days to obtain a good plot for his next book. That second night, he dreamt a couple of parts from the book “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I hope most of you know about Harriet Tubman’s work before the American Civil War. She worked with the “Underground Railroad” to help slaves get to freedom in the North and Canada. She claimed that she had dreams, which helped her find the safe passages every time.

In 1869, Dmitri Mendeleyev, a now well know chemistry professor at Saint Petersburg, had been working to categorize the chemical elements based upon their atomic weights. He saw in a dream a table where all the elements fell into place. Upon awakening, he wrote it al down. Later, only one correction was necessary. This created the periodic table of elements. It enabled Mendeleyev to predict the existence of three new elements, which were discovered within fifteen years.

Another well-known professor, Friedrech A. von Kekule, working at Ghent, Belgium, had been attempting to solve the structure of the benzene molecule. He fell asleep in a chair and dreamt of atoms flitting around before his eyes forming different structures. Eventually, some of the long rows began to twist in a snake like fashion. Suddenly, one of the snakes seized its own tail. This led to the idea of benzene being a ringed compound with six carbons and hydrogens.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:01 pm

Wow, very neat!

A lot of my stories and parts in my unpublished book are taken from dreams. And answers to problems commonly come to me in my dreams.

I think a) we have direct access to the all-knowing mind (subconscious, higher self, whatever you want to call it) in the dream state, where the subconscious is allowed to run the show with minimal distraction from the limited conscious mind and b) we are also therefore more easily open for guidance from those who are not on this plane of existance.

I didn't know any of these! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to show them to my SO. He'll love them :D
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Re: Actual dreams that led to many great inventions

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:05 pm

FyreGarnet wrote: Many of you may know the story of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. There was a group of friends one night in 1816 telling ghost stories and such. After hearing some of these stories, Lord Byron suggested everyone write a horror story. Mary Shelley slept that night, with a nightmare that came to be her best selling book.
Hmm. In the dim corners of my mind, I seem to remember that "Gothic" was about that very meeting?

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:04 am

I'm not sure I understand your question Ragnar.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:29 pm

The film "Gothic" was about the story telling night you mentioned, as far as I remember. Or one of many maybe.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:28 am

Oh ok. It's possible. I've never seen the movie. So I can't confirm that or agree with you, lol. My roommate says I live under a rock.

FyreGarnet

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:30 am

ROCKYYYY! :hug:

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Horror Picture Show! :lol:

:oops: Ooopps!

Off topic! :-D :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:49 pm

NEat, I dreamed about being a soccer goalie and had a shut out season after.

I totally think dreams can give you the guts to try something different.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:09 am

If i turned my dreams into movies, they would definitely be horror movie hits. Hit it like SAW or something... sorry i know that can be kinda disturbing...

just kinda interesting... frankenstien...
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll