Fire Agates

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:21 am

CHL, I had the same mindset till a friend of my mom's loaned us some of the Harry Potter movies while she was recovering from surgery. After watching the movies I just HAD to read the books, and from there on I was lost to Harry Potter geekdom. :roll:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:46 am

I'm a total HP fangirl. I'll be proudly wearing my Slytherin robes (ambitious and cunning...that's me!) and waving my 'In Snape We Trust' banner tonight. I'm so excited, I can't wait!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:57 am

I wasn't a fan till my friend Jenn insisted I go see the movie with her. Since I absolutely love fantasy movies, I thought it'd be fun. After that she lent me the books. I still don't own the books... honestly, after the 4th book, I decided I'd wait until the series was over and pick up the full box set. :lol: But my friends has been lending me the books.

And I did put down book 5 less than 100 pages into it. I'm dying to read it, but I find that I enjoy movies more if I only have a vague recollection of how much better the movie was. I'll finish it after I see it on Saturday!

Oh, and for the book release, a bookstore is taking over 8th Ave downtown and recreating their own Diagon Alley, with Wizards, tarot and street performers. Apparently there will also be a game of Quidditch played by University students on the bouncy strings. I'm hoping to see this. For more about quidditch groups in your area, check the web, apparently these people have been recreating the sport as closely as they can for a year or so now... :lol:

I'll be there if my Mother-in-laws birthday dinner doesn't go too late... :lol:

I throw up some pics here if I get to see it!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:08 pm

I like the books myself. I have always borrowed them from my sister, but now that I'm getting out on my own, I want to own them for myself. I asked David if I bought them, would he read them? He said maybe and asked if I didn't already have them. I said no, so now he is going to buy them for me for christmas, lol. I guess that's ok, because maybe I can convince him to read them.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:36 pm

Finished book seven....so happy and relieved.

Sad that there is no more though, I guess I will have to wait for Robert Jordan to finish.....
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:33 pm

I finished book 7 a while back and after I finished I just felt so...incomplete. There's no longer any anticipation of the next book and while I'm happy that the book ended the way that it did, I was sad that it HAD to end. I've since been thinking of re-reading it, but I have studying to do so it'll have to wait till after I take my state boards test.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:11 pm

I too felt incomplete. But I think part of that is how it ended. I would have liked to hear about more of the people and where they ended up. Like even the Dursley's since things changed a little with Harry and them, even if he didn't call them family.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Scathach
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scathach » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:46 pm

I refuse to read the books!! I'm having too much fun watching the movies........
-Z. deScathach of the Backwater Pinetree Node

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:41 am

Oh but the books are 1,000 times better than the movies! And the movies leave way too much out, especially the most recent movie. It almost doesn't make sense cuz they left so much out. Once you read the books you'll see. 8-)

Scathach
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scathach » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:43 pm

Alright, I suppose that I could read through the movies that I've watched. You're right of course, that's why I prefer to watch a movie BEFORE reading the book. The book is almost always better....
-Z. deScathach of the Backwater Pinetree Node

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:22 pm

Ah ha! I've won a convert! Muhahaha, soon EVERYONE will read the books! :lol:

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:59 pm

I have two copies of each book, a hardback for the home library and a paperback for travelling.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:06 am

I've been trying to get my set together as I always borrowed them from my sister. I've only been able to get the first one since most of the others are sold out here. And I'm trying to buy them in order so that David can read them. He's only seen the movies and just now read the first book.

FyreGarnet

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:49 am

I usually get my books along this line from the Science Fiction Book Club. The have fantasy too, and sell it cheaper. Sometimes they'll even sell sets at even more of a discount.

Otherwise visit some of the used book stores for old copies.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:20 am

I'm just waiting right now. I want new ones for the two of us. But I'll get them eventually.

FyreGarnet