Been thinking about...the future

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Been thinking about...the future

Post by Willow » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:34 am

Hey,
so my mind wandered aimlessly the other day and I came up with a thought.

It seems to me that a lot of Paganism and Wicca (and ofhter relgions for that matter) is concerned with figuring out the future.

I have also noticed that, I don't really think that far ahead anymore. I mean I have my life goals and I assume in a year I will get married or someday I will have kids, but I feel no need to try and figure out exact events.

I also realised, that other cultures don't see the future the way we do. Did you know that the inuit believe they walk backwards into the future. Meaning we walk forward and say things like "I will see you next week" but to say that to an inuit is crazy, the best you can say is "I am trying to see you next week", not even "I will try" because you cannot predict what you will do.

Iranian students at my school never write their name on a paper until it is handed in, they bring it to your office then write their names on it. I asked why and they just said it is presumptious to put your name on a paper you haven't submitted yet.

So just some thinking about the future? Are we obsessed? Is it bad? Or when we "divine things" are we trying to find out more about who we are at this moment? What do you guys think?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:22 pm

Trolls think that time moves backwards. Or that we're moving backwards through time, or something. Because we can see the past, you know, and the future is hidden. So maybe when you scry or something, you're looking over your shoulder :-D
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Ah yes I am always pondering the Inuit concept of "time." They have NO word for Time, although they have twenty for "snow." At first, when I was younger, it took me a long time to wrap my mind around "no time."

Personally, I believe time moves cyclically, fluidly. I do not believe in past or future - both are accessible and both are about to happen, have already happened, and are happening now.

I think, when thinking about the future, most have a fixed and therefore limited view. What is coming up IS coming up. What is past IS past, and you can no more change or heal a horrible event in your past than you can look back and see your future.

When we Divine, through Tarot, etc. the cards are just telling how things will end up, if they continue along the path they are going right now. There are multiple paths happening all at once in various "dimensions" and which one you draw into this life is entirely up to you and fully within your power to dictate.

Yet, so many have forgotten this, and remain slave to "fate" and experience after experience that brings them no advancement or evolution and leaves them in a vicious cycle.

Easier said than done too, I must mention! Because as much as we are masters of our own destiny, our higher self works to teach us the lessons we need to learn, whether we like it or not. The real task is to work along with your higher self to learn the lessons we need to learn while still choosing the destiny that is best for us.

OI! Okay. I am done.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:52 pm

I believe time is cyclical as well. I don't think there will ever be a definitive end to the universe, just as I don't think there was ever a definitive beginning to the universe.

I think that one reason why we seem concerned with time and the future is that the now isn't always so great. The past is the past, it's been and gone and we can't go back, so we don't tend to look how great it was before, we prefer to think of how great it's going to be. Because the future is wide open (no one can really predict what they will be doing in a year's time) we are free to wonder about it and because every moment brings us closer to 'the future', our ideas about the future change to deal with the new situation we find ourselves in.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:11 pm

Have you ever wondered, what if time is a blob...or there is no time, it is something people just invented?

I never knew that about trolls, and that is what I think when I meditate, not what will happen, but what can I do now to make what I want happen.

honestly, if I think about it, time freaks me out, the fact we can't go back and change things is a big responsibility.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:05 am

I personally believe that time can't really affect you, if you don't let it. Yes you will still age, but there are people who simply age "gracefully". Their advice is "live in the moment". So that's what I do. Time is more malleble than people realize, although since we read calenders every and clocks multiple times each day, that time is becoming more fixed.

I never heard about the trolls or inuit (although I knew about their apparent love for the word snow :lol: )... Definately something to meditate on.

Personally, and I tell every client this before I read, that the cards simply tell the path they are currently on. They can change it if they try. The things that are set in stone are the moments when the the Divine directly takes a hand in your life... And those you just have to deal with... But for the rest, and most of the time, you can and do have control over your own fate. We limited mortals, only see 1 path, but from every choice, comes a different path, and blessed is the one who can walk down them with ease.
Last edited by Kitsune on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:17 am

If you haven't heard about the trolls, get thee to Pratchett this instant! :lol:

When I was a kid, I was convinced that "time" was a human thing. We'd obviously invented it. It wasn't really relevant before us, was it?

Then physics told me that it TERRIBLY important, and tied in with space, which quite frankly I'm still not entirely happy with. I mean, okay, relativity etc, speed of light and so on, yada yada, yes, that's all pretty neat. But it's... weird. And what about Quantum?! (Personally I think quantum physicists just make stuff up as they go along, and since most of the world has no idea what they're talking about, no one finds out that, effectively, they sit around doing nothing all day and spending government money.)

Anyway. And then I was talking with a friend about those four dimensions, and it occured to us that before matter, the dimensions of space would have been non-existent and therefore the only one would have been time. But then, what is time when there is nothing - not even matter - there to experience it?

I'm with Jescissa, I think. I believe that the universe is cyclical. That there will be a universe-winter and a universe-spring and it'll all go around again. Because circles are awesome. I'm far more at home with circles than I am with "beginnings" and "ends".
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:36 am

I think the concept of "Time" is different for everything.

A tree's concept of a year might be five to a bird, perhaps.
A Mountain's concept of a year might be fifty to a tree, and a hundred to a bear or deer.
A human's concept of a year might be three or four to something like a deer or a rabbit.

After all, isn't the rate of maturity the reason why we have such a concept as "dog years" ?

As for Future vs Past, I do believe it's a wheel...a circle...so eventually things will swing around again. Unfortunately, that means the good and the bad...which might explain why it seems the holy wars and witchhunts are creeping up on us again.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:28 am

I would always look at the ants crawling across my kitchen floor as a child thinking, "If they live such short lives, this journey across the floor that takes me seconds must take them years... They are on an expedition for the colony, seeking out resources and bringing them back." Which then got me thinking about the sailors of the old days, and the military of today. And the explorers... "In the lifetimes that it took us to explore a continent, to WHOM did it take seconds? For surely we could never be on the top. And if lifetimes are seconds to them, then that must be the closest thing to Eternity. To ants, do we experience Eternity? Must we then be Divine to them? But we are only such a small piece. The Divine that we worship, are they only such a small piece?" Which gave rise to my brain exploding and realizing Unity which makes us all god and god us and without the mighty deity on a cloud we all make up god like all the ants that gave rise to these thoughts make up the colony, and all you see is a bubbling, writhing mass of ANT.

But that's my worldview. Not belittling gods and goddesses, and certainly never anyone elses' worldview.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:06 am

I do need to read some pratchett, just not sure where to start.

Finishing up about 8 other books, but I do miss fantasy when I don't have at least one on the go.

Circle definately makes more sense than linear, I cannot believe that humanit is progressing, in some ways we progress, in some ways we regress. I don't know if everything happens again the same way, but attitudes and ideas certainly do seem to ebb and flow.

I would love to find out from a tree some day what they think of it all, I imagine life is much different when you look at it from a stationary point of view.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:20 am

Good Omens (Gaiman & Pratchett) is a great read, I can also recommend Soul Music, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Guards! Guards!, The Fifth Elephant and Monstrous Regiment! Get thee reading!

As for trees, they are incredible. I read 'The Secret Life of Trees' by Colin Tudge, which describes all sorts of tree lore like how they live, how they reproduce and how they react to the environment around them. Trees react so slowly on human terms that they must have their own way of measuring time.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men