Meditiation\Visualization for inspiration

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Meditiation\Visualization for inspiration

Post by Kystar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Okay, gang, here is my dilema and my question. I am a writer, like a number of you guys around here. Rarely do poetry, but I do fiction...and fanfiction. Recently I have had a bit of trouble with moving things along. None of my personal stories wanted to move, so I went to dabble in Fanfiction to kind of re-lube the mind machine...but that just ended in frustration too.

I need to know if anyone else who dabbles or works in some creative fields have a meditiation or visualization to help with the utter and complete lose of ideas, creativity or forward movement I am experiencing.

I normally liken my characters to an improv troupe...that jumps onto the stage set in the back of my head and start dragging me through their stories...but recently, when the lights go up, the little runts just run...like roaches! How do I coax them back onto the stage? At this point, I"d even be happy if they stuck around for a fanfic!

Any advice? HELP? PLEASE? [-o<
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Oh my goodness... exactly the same problem I keep having. I've finally figured out a good method to beat writer's block instead of beating my story senseless (this is the new one I'm talking about, not the one that seemed to just pour down onto over 700 pages... What I would give to have that inspiration again!)

Right now what works for me is almost like lucid dreaming. I always do some sort of visualization because I am always having trouble falling asleep, and this helps me sleep. I imagine myself as the character. I go through the story, acting it out mentally as if I were the main character, or even a side character, as that seems to put a really cool spin on things. By the time I am at my "stuck" point, I am already moving past it a mile a minute!

The next morning, I start writing. I don't remember the details of my dream that started out quite lucid, but it seems that the words just bleed onto the paper.

Another trick, is I have two goose quill pens that I made from gifts that Goose left for me. I turned the rest into a feather fan. It helps if I start writing some of my story in calligraphy with one of these pens, and then transfer it to the computer later, as Goose is a creative soul and is a wonderful aide to writers. Almost all the great stories of old were written in goosequill pens.

I hope this helps some.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Poetry, especially sonnets, seem to flow from my fingers like water...however I do get blocks when I write prose. I don't know quite what it is, but I can get stuck in mid flow. Sometimes I can only write vignettes because I can't work the scenes into the main body of the text.

I write poetry to communicate with the Gods - because sonnets have 14 lines and my prayer beads have 14 beads I tend to write a sonnet-prayer and then pray that along with the beads. Come up with some kind of rhythmic mantra about you work, your characters, how much you want to complete it (particularly if you give your hands something to do while you recite it, counting beads or drumming will help you keep the rhythm), you'll get yourself psyched up about your work and see things a lot clearer.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:42 am

Disclaimer: Windwalker is not as geeky as she appears.

With fanfictions, I often find that if you're losing momentum changing fandoms for a while will help recharge you. So if you're a multi-fandom fan and you've been focusing on just one, switch to another and see if that helps.

With prose and short stories, my own stuff is rather introspective, so to speak. Most of it starts with a concept or the ending twist, and then just starts by itself and moves toward that end. Other stuff starts with a word, and evolves as it goes. There are places on the net with prompt-generators and so forth. They're not always very good, but occasionally you'll get one that will strike a chord.

This one was helpful to me once or twice: http://www.writingfix.com/dailypromptgenerator.htm. Each prompt reads kinda like a journalling prompt, but the first sentence is always a question... the idea is that if you want to write a piece of prose, you answer the question in your first sentence, which gives a bit more of a dynamic opening sentence. Apparently :lol:

I was reading something the other day that recommended writing. If you usually type, then type; if you usually write by hand, do that. Don't write anything important, just copy out something if you want. The act of writing/typing is supposed to get you back into the writing frame of mind. I haven't tried it, but it may well work.

Finally, I find that if I've gotten a little bored or stale with my writing, I go and read a different author from my usual favourites. The change in writing style or content can be inspiring.

Good luck!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:19 am

I find the easiest way for me to write (since I can't seem to start at the beginning and write sequentially :roll: ) is to do what the gully dwarves do in DragonLance....

They start in the middle and run headlong back to the begining...

Basically I write the parts I know, and then after I have enough chapters, I'll spend a few days, compiling them into a proper sequence of events.

That way, everythind still gets said, and I don't get stuck on trying to begin a novel, and after 4 lines, get irritated iwth my inability to finish it and give up... :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:59 am

I FORGOT SOMETHING!!!

I don't remember the website, but I was experiencing MAJOR writer's block, and this site laughingly pronounced they held the cure (after pages of "There is no immediate cure to Writer's Block"). It was a little page where you write

One word

One short sentence

One long sentence

One paragraph

I did it for fun, thinking, "Ha ha, this is so silly but what the heck I am bored," but it worked!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:24 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

As for the fanfics thing...I don't really wander out of my fandom b/c I've done everything else before. I've been writing various fanfics since 1991...just didn't realize that's what they'd be called! LOL!

I've been having little flickers of inspiration...things that spark a scene or so, so I'm not totally hashed.

HUGS.
Thanks again.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!