Spell and Tell

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Spell and Tell

Post by iriseyes » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:18 pm

If you work a spell and you tell someone what you did will this lessen the effect of your workings.
To thine own self be true.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:48 pm

My humble opinion based on my experiences:

Yes and no. It depends, ha ha, which I find is the fundamental answer for general questions like these.

Do you feel like it will? If so, then probably yes, perhaps because it will actually lessen the effects, or perhaps because of the whole placebo trick.

A general rule has always been to keep most if not all workings a secret except from those who may be training you or those in a close group. I share nearly everything with my partner, except the details of Journeys. I share with no one else, and I never have, comfortably. I suppose this brings up the concept of who you share it with effects the answer to your question.

Always listen to intuition on such questions.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:41 pm

Not to go Witchcraft 101 but doesnt the Rede say to "To Keep Silent"? So that would imply that you are to keep the information of your workings private. Plus you dont want to give away all your tricks now would you? :blackeye:
_-Taylor-_

"Nothing strengthens the judgment & quickens the conscience like individual responsibility..."

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:01 am

Is "to be silent" part of the Rede? I thought it wasn't... oh well.

I think the idea is that if you walk around saying to people "oh, I totally did this spell the other night, I'm so witchier than you" you look like a complete idiot. It just isn't done, dear!

I'm not sure whether or not it would alter the effects of a spell you have already cast. It may well do, I guess, if you have all these other people thinking thoughts about it. It might change the energy in some way. But I don't see any harm in telling a couple of people - it's considered polite, for example, to tell someone if you have cast a spell on their behalf.

Where did those four magical principles originate, does anyone know? Were they Gardnerian or earlier?
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:06 am

I agree with the above, generally, you should keep it quiet until the results have shown that it is complete.
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:52 am

Windwalker wrote:Is "to be silent" part of the Rede? I thought it wasnt.

it's considered polite, for example, to tell someone if you have cast a spell on their behalf.

Where did those four magical principles originate, does anyone know? Were they Gardnerian or earlier?
As for the Rede I cant remember. That was just the first thing that popped into my head. I should have looked it up. My bad. Anyway. I agree with Windwalker. Of course you are going to tell someone if you have to cast a spell on their behalf. But if you go around telling people about it you could risk some negative thoughts working against the energies of your spell. I think that its really up to the person casting the spell. I personally have found that I have much better results with my spells if I keep them to myself. Its like the boy who cried wolf kinda. You tell people and then it never happens. But if you wait for the results its all the better. Especially when it comes to spells you are experimenting with.

And for Windwalker regarding the magickal principles: To Know, To Will, To Dare, To Keep Silent right? Here is a sight that I have found it pertains to this and the Great Theosophists can be found on this site:
http://www.wisdomworld.org/setting/rosicrucians.html

Also here it states the Witches Pyramid. (I knew that I should have gone with my instincts.)
http://www.witchs-brew.org/wbasks/answer1089963677.html

I hope this answers some questions. It did for me!

:-D
_-Taylor-_

"Nothing strengthens the judgment & quickens the conscience like individual responsibility..."

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:09 am

Yeah, I am not really a fan of stuff that would affect other people.

I don't really do magic, but I think I would ask permission if your work could affect someone else in any way.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:39 am

I believe it is ok to share with those very close to you, if you really feel the need to tell someone. However, I think it's best to keep these things to one's self for the most part because there really isn't any reason to tell someone else, if you get right down to it. Yes, we all need to share that a spell worked on occassion, and that's why I say it's ok to tell those who are close to you, but really, it's more an ego thing than anything else - don't you think?
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by iriseyes » Tue May 01, 2007 6:44 pm

Thank you guys for helping out.

I think it would be best, unless your doing magick for someone then I think you should tell them what your going to do cause you do have to get their permission first.
To thine own self be true.

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Spell and Tell

Post by Sìle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 am

I was taught, and belive that once you execute a spell you should leave it alone. The more to think about it, or fiddle with it, or even discuss it, the more likely it could be altered. Personally, I've never seen the need to discuss my work with anyone. What's the point? :?: