Enchantment: What it is and the basics

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Enchantment: What it is and the basics

Post by runewulf » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:57 am

Enchantment

I've had several questions about what enchanting is, what is enchantment or what it means to enchant something, so since I can't sleep, I'm taking a little while to write it up.

What is Enchantment>

If you look this word up, you'll find a few definitions, everything from "to attract and delight" to "to cast a spell upon" and "to bewitch". When we talk about enchantment, what we mean is to work magick upon something with causes a lasting effect or emits an effect.

Examples of enchantments:

- When you walk into a room, you suddenly feel comfortable, no matter how you were feeling before.

- When you put on a piece of jewelry, you feel a change come over you, relaxed, stronger, more energized, etc.

- While holding an object, you're protected.

What it really is:

Enchantment is setting up an energy field, litterally. At it's simplest, enchantment is creating energy and programming it to have a desired effect, usually on that has to do with feelings, protections, healing, etc., then binding that energy to an object.

A classic example would be something I do for some friends when they move into a house. I often find a stone or small statue, then raise energy, feeding it into the statue while setting the intent to protect those in the place where it is and to bring harmony to that place. I keep feeding and programming the energy into the object until it can't hold anymore or I am exhausted. I then give the enchanted object to the owners of the house. Sometimes I'll tie in the Rune Uruz to the bottom of the item with a small, second working to keep feeding power to it so that it gets stronger over time and never "runs out of juice".

Another example that I use fairly often is with candles. If I'm making my own, I do this while making the candle, if using purchased candles, I do it with the candle held in my hands. What I do is an enchantment meant to sooth and make those around content and peaceful. I draw energy into myself and build it up until I can't hold anymore. I then begin pouring this energy into the candle, while it flows, I program it with my intent "While burning all around are content and at peace, peace pours forth from your flame". I keep pouring the energy into the candle I hold ( or through the wick into the candle as I keep dipping it).

I have used enchantment to stop nightmares, change moods, protect, speed healing, etc. It's a useful technique and is really fairly easy. It lends itself well to being tied in with other things, like Runes, Mystical Symbols, Herbs, Stones, etc.

Here is a simple enchantment ritual for you, and I do mean simple. This is for calming:

What you need:

1 piece of amethyst (though you can use anything else, amethyst just adds a little extra).

Sit down and relax, go through the basic meditation to reach a magickal mindset.

Place the amethyst between your hands and start pouring energy into it, as you pour the energy in, chant either aloud of vibrating in your mind:
"Calm and relaxed, stress flows away, soothing energy flows my way" and keep this chant going as you keep pouring energy into the crystal, willing it to absorb the energy so that anything touching or around it will be calm and relaxed.

Keep feeding the magick into the amethyst until you feel it pushing back against you, a physical pressure. When you get to this point, build up a little more energy and the push it into the crystal with force stating "All who hold (or all near) this stone will be calm and at peace, so mote it be!"

Viola, an enchanted crystal for calm. If the words don't sit quite right with you, change them to suit, it's the intent that matters, what "clicks" for you.

The above is a basic form of enchantment. You can use it as a base model for many things, protection, speeding healing, happiness, romance, etc. You can at incense or herbs that suit the purpose, etc. You can turn it into a whole long ritual if you choose, say something like the following:

- Blend and charge the herbs for the intent
- Grind the herbs while further charging
- Light the herbs as an incense
- Charge the stone while alternately tracing/painting/carving suitable runes/symbols on the stone, then passing through the incense smoke, then runes, then smoke, charging the whole time
- Wrap the stone in a string/cord/wire of suitable color material at the end while binding it's purpose

You can get extremely complex, or as in the other examples, extremely simple. As a rule, it's what works for you. However, using herbs, oils, runes, etc. can add to the working, either by you adding more energy because you're preparing the other pieces with energy before using them with your object to be enchanted, or if chosen rightly for their similar affinities, then their own natural powers being added to your energy can add more to it.

There you go, the basics of enchantment.

Wassail und wunjo
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:17 pm

As always, succinct, accurate and extremely helpful. :-D
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Moonchyld
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Enchantment: What it is and the basics

Post by Moonchyld » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:08 am

Do you know of anything I could use for a protection enchantment?
You call me a witch like it's a bad thing. :3

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:00 am

Runewolf's really summed it up. Because you want protection enchantment what you need to do is search for 'protection qualities' in herbs, oils, runes, incense and crystals in books or on the internet to form your particular enchantment. It's helpful to choose something you can carry around with you like a piece of jewellery or a small object you can put in your bag or pocket.

Protection is a broad theme but if you wanted protection from, for example, negative people around you, perhaps an amethyst necklace or earrings would be suitable because I find it is a crystal that inspires a positive reaction in others, maybe including lavender oil in the working. If you wanted protection from something more dangerous it may not be suitable. But crystals have different effects for different people. Hope this gives you some ideas, let us know how you get on.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Pyrite is a great stone for protection :) but cleanse it often.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Here is a decent little blog post about runes and protection http://magical-runes.blogspot.com/2008/ ... ction.html - personally, I would advise the use of Thurisaz, otherwise called Thorn, as a key part of the protection.

You might want to try something like this combination: ImageImageImage, which means protection, freezing and protection again, more or less.

Moonchyld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moonchyld » Tue May 26, 2009 8:27 am

You call me a witch like it's a bad thing. :3

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Tue May 26, 2009 9:15 am

You're quite welcome 8-)

kristoff1235
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Gemini

Post by kristoff1235 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 am

ive been practicing on and off for two years and find this fasinating. i never called it enchantment but it would make sense... i have also made what was called servantiles (spelling probably wrong), but i always called them what they do. so collectors, storage, blah blah blah. and have you ever heard of enchanting something with a servantile?
many call me insane, many call me genius
if theres a fine line between genius and insanity,
then i must be the greatest tight rope walker ever.