Magick/Energy Shielding Basics

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Magick/Energy Shielding Basics

Post by Kystar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:12 am

Dark Waters wrote:Nice TMNT reference Krystar. Mine kind of does the same thing allowing me to fade into the background shadows of the ether.
You know, I've been using that for so long, I totally FORGOT it was a TMNT reference until now. I knew I got it SOMEWHERE, but couldn't remember where...thanks for reminding me.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:13 am

Interesting direction for this post... first off, the egg shaped shield is actually fairly common, that and the "sphere of light". Moving over into animism for shielding isn't uncommon, however it's not exactly common either. Most people don't go into animism for shielding, which is a passive defense, but for more active work. Animism might be an interesting topic to go with at some point soon though. I don't remember that being covered a lot over the years here.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Why would animism be considered "passive work"? I don't know about anyone here, but as Crazy mentioned the wings aren't just for defence! Billow those things out and to an astral critter you can be intimidating as hell. Mind you, I never take a single animal form. My astral form tends to be somewhat convoluted... It's got wings, claws, a snout, fur... A lot of everything, I guess. I don't generally use it passively, it's a very active use on my part.

Or am I mis-reading what you meant by passive?

And I would love a conversation on Animism... You're right, I can't remember us having that conversation before. It sounds like fun.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:28 pm

It took a bit of thinking to understand how animism could be passive. I suppose if it is another being coming into you, the YOU that is you would be passive and off to the side, but when you are bringing out your inner animal, I feel that would be quite active. I suppose in either case the rational human mind and ego is cast to the side to make room for the animal, whether it is outside or from within, which many would argue is the same anyway. I see it as a form of shapeshifting, when your consciousness shifts to that of an animal.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:49 pm

You're misreading... shielding tends to be passive, animism tends to be active, therefore most don't tend to go into animism for shielding constructs/visualizations because of that subconscious conflict. Sorry if I confused you with my phrasing there :-) ... I agree that animism in it's various forms might make for an interesting new thread or two.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:27 pm

I've always considered it that when my wings manifest, it means I've let the situation get too far and need to do something to stop things from continuing.

So, it's sort of a "Get off your butt and DO SOMETHING" from my subconscious. Which, I guess, would be a shift from passive to active, if you want to think of it in those terms.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:03 am

Exactly :-D