Kitty trouble.

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Kitty trouble.

Post by Kystar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Hey, guys...just wanted to ask that whoever has a moment, please give a little prayer for my younger kitty, Kali.

She's been puking recently, which is actually a family trait among the females, but has still worried us enough that we're taking her to the vet tomorrow. I know it's something that she could be prone to, but I'm slightly worried about what causes it. Her mom does it, her aunt does it...her sister started doing it recently. Still not something to be brushed off. None of the males in her family do this, so it's a bit confusing.

Anyways...thanks to anyone who has a moment to spare a thought for my calico disaster maker. (And for those who haven't seen her...here's a pic from my facebook!)

You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Kitty trouble.

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:53 pm

What a sweetie.

Kystar, do you have plants around? Check the leaves for chew marks. She may have a sensitive stomach. What are you doing for kitty food? If your vet says to put her on their vet food, I've got a better solution. B.A.R.F., basically raw animal food: Cheaper, and better for animals. Getting leftover meat from a (preferably organic) butcher shop is even cheaper. PLUS it's better for kitties than processed saltified fortified addictified chicken bones. (Yes, I made a few new words there... LOL).

Good luck to Kali! I hope she starts feeling better. Our cat did that for almost a decade, but she had a hernia in her stomach that was inoperable. I wish I'd know about B.A.R.F. or other raw animal foods then, because I have a strong feeling it would have fixed the problem a great deal, and made her a good lot healthier. There are a few local companies in my area that I would order from rather than B.A.R.F. which are also much cheaper. Check your area for any businesses such as that, or make it yourself. Lots of online resources.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Awww Kali looks like a kitten I had called Gertrude (of all things - blame Mum). She was a cheeky little blighter. Hope Kali gets better soon x
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Well, they get Purina Indoor formula dry food, and Fancy Feast Wet...if the Vet wants to put her on their diet, I was thinking about looking for more organic options. The problem with that is our other cat won't eat anything that looks like real meat. NOTHING...so we would have problems with giving them separate foods...mainly b/c Kali's an alley cat when it comes to what she'll eat...anything that doesn't try to eat her first! So trying to say "This is Noche's food and this is Kali's" would be impossible.

I'm pretty sure she's not chewing on our faux bamboo anymore, as that's the only plant in the house, and it's on the top of the Fridge. Mainly to keep her kitty teeth off of it. I don't do well with houseplants, tend to kill them. Gardens and greenhouses are a different story, but houseplants...not a chance. This "Lucky Bamboo" from our wedding ceremony is the only thing that will grow for me...and that's probably b/c it's just water to keep it alive.

Honestly, I'm thinking b/c she's a medium-haired cat (yes, that fur is thicker than it looks!), she's getting sick b/c she's trying to bring up a hairball and can't quite get it out. Though, it's strange that only the females in her family do it...none of her brothers have this problem. Dunno. But, she sees the Vet tomorrow, so we'll find out then, I guess, won't we?

Thanks for the advice and the good wishes.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:20 am

I will definitely say a prayer for her.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 am

Very cute kitty...I hope she feels better soon.

I do have a hairball cure, Vaseline. Just a little dab on the nose once or twice a day makes the hairballs go away.

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:29 am

Awwwe poor li'l kitty cat! (I have a soft spot for kitties lol) My thoughts and blessings out there for her!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:41 am

Well, the vet didn't see a problem right away...and has basically confirmed that the first thing to try is to adjust her food to what it was before she started throwing up, and maybe try and brush out some of her undercoat.

They gave her a dewormer just as a precautionary measure.

So, we're sort of just here.

Sigh. At least she's still eating and drinking and playing and all that...but still. Sigh.

Thanks for the good wishes and energy sent to her.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:35 am

Kystar wrote:This "Lucky Bamboo" from our wedding ceremony is the only thing that will grow for me...and that's probably b/c it's just water to keep it alive.

I do know for a fact that this plant (member of the corn family) is toxic to both animals and humans. I cannot remember the scientific name right now off hand.

I kind of figured that the vet would put her on a special diet and brush out her coat. Hopefully that will help the little one. backoff:

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Well, from the research I've done, the stuff sold as "lucky bamboo" is a member of the Dracaena family, and yes, they're toxic. (http://www.flowershopnetwork.com/pages/ ... ly2003.php) Mine's way out of reach unless kitty does serious acrobatics.

So far, no problems...but we're just sort of starting out...so who knows?

Thanks for the good wishes towards Kali, my calico disaster maker.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:20 pm

My kitten started throwing up just after my wedding actually. He was sick for a few days, and had stopped eating much to anything. The vet couldn't feel anything in his stomach, but said that we should try soft food first, in case the kitten just had their version of a cold. Two days later, we were watching our kitten and taking him outside whenever he threw up, so my husband was the one that saw the bit of ribbon as he was throwing up. He caught the cat and dragged nearly 2 ft of silver ribbon out our kitty!

Fortunately, Jitters (the kitten) was decent about it, and didn't put up too much of a fuss. The moral of this story, see if you can find out what they're throwing up. Perhaps he swallowed some yarn or string, and it's upsetting his stomach.

Sending well wishes regardless, no kitty should have to suffer with being ill.

And a hug for you as well :hug: I know how worrying about the health of our kittens can be super stressful.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Glad your kitty is okay, Kitsune...but mine...well that probably isn't the issue.

You see, her mom throws up, her aunt throws up, her litter sister throws up. Her brothers don't...which is confusing. It seems that all females of the family start to throw up when they hit a certain age. With Mom Cloe and Aunt Amelia it's usually that they either A - eat too fast, or B - eat too much. Don't know about Sister Dot.

We haven't seen her throw up RIGHT after eating except for ONCE...where she chowed down on her wet food and then proceeded to tear around the house like her tail was on fire...then she suddenly went the kitty equivalent of green and puked on the stairs.

We're not sure what it is. We've started giving them the kitten chow she used to eat...for the longest time we mixed it in with the adult indoor food...so we've gone back to that b/c she never puked then. We're considering attempting to switch to a more natural wet food, but have to do some research first...see what's out there, where we can get it, what it's price is...and see if the older cat...who is pickier than any human toddler alive...will eat it.

I hate to say it, but I think ti's just a family flaw and we're just going to have to do trial and error to see what doesn't upset her delicate tummy.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:52 am

I know some humans with the same problem. #-o :lol:

Humor aside, I really do hope you guys find the right food for them.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.