Starting anew

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Starting anew

Post by Willow » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi all,

I don't know if it is blessings I really want. i am just starting a bunch of new things this term and I am excited, apprehensive, nervious and anxious all at the same time.

I started my half marathon training today
This term begins the writing portion of my dissertation, I now have 1 year to write about 400 pages.
I have moved to a new city and only commuting to Ottawa every other week.
And, kind of personal, my husband and I are considering growing the family, we will see where that discussion goes.

I hope everyone has luck with their endeavors this year and I am glad you guys are there to support me through the changes!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Starting anew

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:55 pm

400 pages shouldn't be that bad Willow. After all, it's on a topic that you enjoy and that will definately speed things up.

Hey, if I was able to write 100,000 words over the last 6 months (about 220 pages, single-spaced) then you should be able to do your 400 pages easily.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:50 pm

I agree with Kitsune. Granted the research and all involved, you should be able to do it in a year. Think of all the 20 and 30 page essays you have done these last years!! You'll do great :) Never fun to have so much to do after moving to a new area, though. Hot baths; get into the zone!

And growing the family?? Really? Little Willows? Let us know! We can all send mega healthy fertility energy! (Yes, I realize that was a little creepy, but I mean it all the same!)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:09 am

Good luck with all that. I wonder how much of the essay they actually read though...
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:18 am

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine, once you get the research you need.

HUGS!

Underlilith, I think they read just enough of the thing to make sure the person isn't blowing smoke up someone's butt, but beyond that, not much. Can't imagine they go over every sentence with a microscope, after all, how many of the things do they get to go over in a time period?
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 am

Sounds like you've got a fair amount on your plate this year. I imagine you and your husband are both up to the challenge. :)

As for growing the family, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. We'll all be here to help and lend ears whatever choice you two make.
Crazy Healer Lady wrote: And growing the family?? Really? Little Willows? Let us know! We can all send mega healthy fertility energy! (Yes, I realize that was a little creepy, but I mean it all the same!)
We just don't want to overdo it. John and Kate plus 8 scares me. :-D
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:48 am

Ah yes, that wouldn't do, would it? :-k +1 or +2 is probably enough!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 am

It all sounds exciting to me. :-D Think of it all as one big adventure and you will be fine.
I know how much you love writing and four-hundred words would be a breeze. From you, knowing your dedication, It will be well written.

As for wee Willow people, go for it! You would be a wonderful and caring mother. :-D

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:56 am

Way to go Willow...

I'm sure you will do fine. And I hope everyone has a great 2009 :blob3:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Underlillith, I should add you on facebook, I have a big post about why writing a dissertation is harder than having a baby, FYI, only 4 people read your thesis, because they have too, and they rip it to shreds. Everyone wants to see your baby, and no one critiques it! :lol:

I will be fine, My year doesn't seem that big when I type it out, but the nature of big transitions is intimidating. I mean wow, me as a parent? Me finishing school and...Gasp...getting a job! 400 pages is the minimum I should also say, but meh, whats a few other hndred pages (not including notes, appendices and bibliography).

I think our goal is to have kids twice (twins run in my family) and then maybe adopt a child or two (My idea would be 4 kids), we are both used to working with persons with disabilities so we are looking into adopting there, as there is a huge needs for families who can take care of children in wheelchairs or with learning disabilities. We have to start the process soon though, it takes a while.

Thanks for the reassurance, as a note, I looked at my thesis today, I already have approx 70 pages written and another 100 pages of notes. I noticed that on his blog one of the authors I like has a progress bar where he tracks how close he is to completing his next novel,I am trying to figure out how to install one of those on blogspot blogs (any ideas you techies out there?). It would be nice to have a goal and track how close I am, I do better when I am publically accountable.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:06 am

Willow wrote:Underlillith, I should add you on facebook, I have a big post about why writing a dissertation is harder than having a baby, FYI, only 4 people read your thesis, because they have too, and they rip it to shreds. Everyone wants to see your baby, and no one critiques it! :lol:
Ok, i'll leave a post in another thread so i'm not off topic lol. the last thing we need is to see a thousand facebook links in this thread! :lol:
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll