For Our Veterans

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

For Our Veterans

Post by Willow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:05 am

It was remebrance day in Canada yesterday, and I have gone every year since I was a child and every year there are fewer and fewer veterans at the ceremonies while we hear of more and more young soldiers dying in Afghanistan (and Iraq in the United States). And having some friends in family in Afghanistan right now I think this year touched me more than usual. And its funny, because I have been told by some people that since I am a pacifist I do not or cannot "support our troops". Well I disagree and I think that even as a pacifist I can offer these blessings:

Comfort for Veterans in their old age, that they feel love from their families and respect from those of us in the community
Safety for those fighting now over seas and that deaths are minimised on both sides
Comfort for the families and friends of the recently fallen

There is only one World War one Veteran left in Canada and I pray for blessings for him too, as I cannot imagine what is going through his head at this time.

Sorry to get on a high horse but I was deepy moved this year.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Re: For Our Veterans

Post by davisherm » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:36 am

Willow, thank you so very much for your blessings and well wishes. As one of the many veterans on this forum, I've always been very touched by the care and concern that our members as a whole have for my brothers and sisters in uniform. Today is certainly no exception. :hug:

Anybody who tells you that you're not supporting the troops is dead wrong. Let them live in their fantasy world, they're not interested in the real one.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:31 am

I'm constantly told that since I'm a pacifist, I can't appropriately respect the veterans.

To me, the fact that I consider myself at least a semi-pacifist means that I respect the sacrifice they made even more. Even I agree, these people do deserve our respect and thanks. Had they not fought for the freedoms we enjoy today, we would be living in an entirely different world now. I can not help but speculate that it would have been a worse one.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:48 am

I agree and the type of pacifism I hav is one where we do everythign we can to prevent war.

Davish....I guess you get exempted from the "Old age" part, young people who have seen combat need comfort too. :hug: Its more than I can imagine.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)