Tuberculosis test

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Tuberculosis test

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 am

So I had to take a TB test for work. Since I'm working in hospitals, it makes sense. I went and had the test done on monday, and they said that within 48-72 hours, the site would become red. I did not understand what they meant by red. However, here it is about 48 hours later and the site is kinda red, like a rash or wasp sting. So now I'm a little worried. I don't have any of the symptoms, but I know that the bacteria can lay dormant until my immune system weakens. I've always had a great immune system, only getting a cold occasionally. So I'm worried that I have the dormant type. I have to call my boss tomorrow and tell her what I see, and we will then talk about meeting so she can see it. And if she says it's positive, I have to probably get a chest x-ray.

The other thing I'm worried about is that I had to get this test up in Ft. Collins. That is one of the hospitals I might be working at. So this might mean that I have to drive 260 miles round trip to get an x-ray. If it's positive, I really hope that they let me take the x-ray down here. We have a few great hospitals so I'd prefer not to drive that far for that short amount of time. It took me 2 and a half hours to drive up there (cuz of rush hour) and 2 hours to drive back. That is not my idea of fun when I'd be going up for one or two hours tops.

I'd rather catch this early, as most of the time it isn't and people end up dying from it by the time it is truly diagnosed. But I'm still worried about what this will do to me. Will I have to quit my job? I really can't afford that. I'm trying to pay for a wedding and save up money for a house. Plus, if this goes on for a bit, this can be really great experience for me to put on my resume.

So, just here ranting and worrying. But keep me in your thoughts for a bit if possible. I won't ask you to worry over me too much until this tests positive and the x-ray is positive too.

Hugs

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:59 am

I had one done for work once, when I worked at Pitt, it got a little red, like you described, but not bad enough to be considered a "positive". Hopefully you're in the same boat!

HUGS, good luck!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:57 pm

[-o< [-o<

Good vibes your way, my dear. I'm sure you'll be just fine :hug:
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:15 am

Well, I had it read at the clinic, and it's negative. That's a load off. The problem was, all my boss said was that it would get red, and wasn't very specific. My arm did get red around the injection site. The thing is, it was just inflammation from my body fighting an outside risk, rather than the antibodies from a previous TB exposure. Apparently, they look for a bump, not a red spot per se. And the bump needs to be about 10 cm before they worry about it unless someone has had a known exposure.

But thank you all for keeping me in your thoughts and all. I really appreciate it.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Ten cm??? Wow, that's pretty dramatic.

I'm so glad that it's negative! ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:29 pm

I'm happy its negative as well.

Sometimes a positive does not mean that you have TB it simply means that you were exposed to TB at some point: FYI.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu May 08, 2008 8:29 pm

We all had these at school in U.K.

Mine was positive, but I had never had T.B.

All it means, in 90% of the cases, is that you have no natural immunity to T.B.

THEN they just give you an injection that makes you so. My second test, a week or two after, was negative.

THINK: Positive does not always mean the worse case scenario.