Marking Fair

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Marking Fair

Post by Willow » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:25 pm

Hey All,
I am not sure how to go about this, but I a marking student exams right now, and I am having a hard time not getting angry.

Long story short, I just read a paper by one of my students about the good things to come out of the holocaust (like advances in genetics research because of tests done on captives). Now I am tainted and seeing only bad things in these papers.

Plus I am exhausted and they are due very soon. I guess I need positive some energy to be able to give all the students the same amount of attention and not let one or two bad apples spoil my entire faith in humanity.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:36 pm

:-? Whoa! Deja Vu! :-?

I could swear that I've seen this exact post before a while back.

Anyway, don't let the unthinking spoil you toward everyone. Positive thoughts en route. If you come accross a paper that starts to unsettle you, put it aside to do last.

However, as an ex-soldier who has seen the bleaker sides of war, I am forced to admit that usually energies focused on better means of destruction during a war usually result in better means of living after it. Technology, Medicine, Physics all end up more advanced. But you must emphasize to those misguided ones that some advances come at a cost too high to be acceptable. The Holocaust was one such example.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:04 am

Chamomile, hot baths, and naps... Quick 10-min naps when you get exhausted do a world of good: Your mind stays clear, and you may find it easier not to be "tainted" by the bad apples

Regardless, positive energy your way!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:41 am

Positive energy coming your way! Perhaps you can write in your examiner's notes that while advancements in medicine did come from the Holocaust, the price for making these advancements was too high.

Perhaps the student that wrote that was just trying to present a balanced view; I'm a student and our lecturers are constantly bashing our heads with 'always keep a balanced view', 'identify your biases and compensate the other side'.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:42 pm

EEK!

Good luck with that...personally, I can't wrap my head around ANYONE saying positives came out of that dark period of human history.

That's like saying there was an advancement made due to the Witch Burnings!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!