Post by Windwalker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:47 am

Hope you feel better soon!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:23 am

Well, aside from the random weird tastes in my mouth, and the dull throb where they dug the leftover root from my last wisdom tooth extraction, I'm not doing too bad.

I'm listless, and only have short bursts of energy to get stuff done, I'm sleeping more, but I think that's part of the healing process.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:55 am

Always is, your body heals best without the distractions of your waking times.

Whenever I'm sick I take a nice hot steamy shower, the kind that can give some people first-degree burns, then crawl under the covers and go out for as long as I can. Works wonders for me.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Oh, showers so hot that your skin turns red...

I love those... You save them for special or sick occasions though? I have them all the time! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:38 pm

So do I, but I save the ones that turn the bathroom into a dripping-from-the-ceiling sauna for the really sick days. I hadn't realized how high I had them until my wife tried to join me in a shower long ago and jumped right back out after getting scalded, a literal first-degree burn right where the water hit her.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:51 pm

Urgh, I can't do that...I have problems overheating. I don't know why.

My husband takes those showers when he's not feeling well, I call them Dragon Showers...he's recharging his core.

Right now, I'm having issues with congestion in my sinuses, not odd for this time of year, but more noticeable than regularly b/c my face is so sensitive.

Sigh.
Oh well.
I'll muddle through it. I think I'm going to drug myself into a stupor tonight so I stop waking up every flipping hour!

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:01 pm

Just remember nature's sedative - Whiskey {or your preferred drink} and the alcohol helps keep the area clean from infection. And a warm toddy would help with the sinuses too.

:lol:

But don't mix alcohol and vicoden - not healthy.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:38 pm

I used to like showers and baths that hot, till one day I got out of the shower, made it as far as my bedroom and then passed out from the heat. So no more super-hot showers and baths for me. :roll:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Ah, no, Vicodine + Alcohol doesn't look like it WOULD be healthy. Not after reading the paperwork on Vicodine. I'd rather not slip into a coma, thanks!

I think tonight is going to be a simple dose of Percogesic for me.

I'm an odd egg, acetaminophen makes me drowsy (Tylenol's painkiller). So Vicodine does double duty on me...which is why I take a 1/2 dose. Tylenol and stuff that's "non-drowsy" in fact isn't in my system.

Doctor says it's a mild allergy. Doesn't mean I can't take it...just need to realize that it will make me sleepy.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:01 pm

My problem is somewhat the opposite. Painkillers aren't as effective as they should be. However if I take something like Tylenol PM, the painkiller is worthless without almost a double dose, but the sleep-aid works just fine.

nighty-night

:P

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Honestly, i don't know if the painkiller actually DOES anything BEYOND make me sleepy...because I'm usually unconscious before I can tell. For all I know, it just knocks me out so I don't know I'm in pain.

Advil's the only thing that takes away pain w/out knocking me down...but I have to take at least 600 mg b/4 I can get relief. Sometimes I'll go so high as 800-1,000mg.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:41 pm

The only thing that I know is really effective for me is Percaset {sp?}.

I was in the field during a long training exercise and had a MAJOR vascular headache. {Sinus pressure/headache compresses blood vessels and triggers additional migraine - not fun} Went to the medics and they gave me a percaset IV. I felt it go about halfway up my arm then I was OUT for two hours. One guy said my eyes just closed, I rolled over on my side and was gone.

Even the nerve blocks they used for my toenail removals and the local for the vasectomy wasn't that effective. Yes, the local wore off before the surgery was over.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Dark Waters wrote: vascular headache. {Sinus pressure/headache compresses blood vessels and triggers additional migraine - not fun}
IS THAT what those are called? I think I've gotten headaches like that since puberty...when my allergies kicked in big time.

Light/sound sensitivity, some gray out of the vision on the edges? Moodiness, irritability, and doesn't seem to respond to over-the-counter stuff?

Meh, I tend to crawl away and sleep for a good four hours or more when one of those settles into my skull. Feels like I've got an elephant dancing on my head when that happens. I don't even know that I take anything besides a dose of sleep aide anymore...sometimes in the form of scotch. :lol:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Yes, the local wore off before the surgery was over.
AHHHH!!!!!!!!! *insert CHL's nightmare*
Sometimes I'll go so high as 800-1,000mg.
Wow... 800mg IBU Profen is a huge amount. Make sure you take that with LOTS of food... 600mg is the surgery dose. 800mg is the major surgery dose. Anything after, they go to morphine. Be careful, mon ami! Advil is dangerous stuff! It eats away at your stomach. At least take with milk.

When I am ill, or in need of healing of sorts, I run those "dragon showers" and then blast with cold water, which is always a welcome relief (if I feel it's too cold, then I know I've not had the water hot enough!). I get out tingling, energetic, and feeling great. My only bad experience was when I tried to have a warmer than normal shower after my, um, humidifier experiment... and began seeing dark spots and getting VERY dizzy. I seem to be uncannily aware of my body's "passing out" point. Even with concussions, I have never passed out except for when I stood up once as a kid, accidentally holding my breath, passing out, and hitting my head on the fireplace. All I remember was a dull "CRACK" and then knowing something was a little wrong, and then hearing my sister scream, which brought me out of it. O_O
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Kystar wrote:
Dark Waters wrote: vascular headache. {Sinus pressure/headache compresses blood vessels and triggers additional migraine - not fun}
IS THAT what those are called? I think I've gotten headaches like that since puberty...when my allergies kicked in big time.

Light/sound sensitivity, some gray out of the vision on the edges? Moodiness, irritability, and doesn't seem to respond to over-the-counter stuff?

Meh, I tend to crawl away and sleep for a good four hours or more when one of those settles into my skull. Feels like I've got an elephant dancing on my head when that happens. I don't even know that I take anything besides a dose of sleep aide anymore...sometimes in the form of scotch. :lol:
Yep. They are triggered by anything that causes sinus pressure. Blood vessels are are on the "wrong" side of the sinus cavity and get squeezed against the skull. That triggers migraines further back.

For me it was usually associated with changes of seasons and major temp changes. But lots of dust or pollen could also do it.

I take the "dragon showers" to let the steam break up the congestion, turning it cold at the end also helps shrink the blood vessels. Sudafed used to work when I was younger, not so much now.

I know it may sound disgusting, but something else usually works too. The pain would get so intense I would often throw-up. The spasms of doing so would cause my sinuses to drain and relieve the pressure. So now if I feel it coming on I might induce it myself to cut it off.