Help...Tooth pull approaching!

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:27 am

But the point it made was that your own stomach acids are many times more powerful than coke, so coke won't damage you internally.
Who says it is the acid that would harm you internally? It's pure sugar and chemicals.
I remember Mythbusters creaming that...they didn't get ANY good results using cola as a cleaner.
They didn't get good results in dissolving things like rust off a bolt, but they did get good results with coke as a cleaner, especially the blood test and chrome, and the tooth didn't fare too well, but teeth never seem to hold up well.

Maybe I'm a little over zealous, but it will dissolve paint, I know this much, clean blood, and clean pennies. Whether or not the acid in the drink makes it bad for you is not really an issue in my mind. It's the sugar, the caffeine, the links to obesity and diabetes and in diet soft drinks the links that are only now being understood between diet drinks and irritable bowel syndrome, crohn's, and some are speculating even alzheimers.

I'm not trying to get anyone to stop drinking pop. That's like trying to get someone to quit smoking or to go out and jog. :lol:
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:42 am

Not to mention the two acids in soda are pretty mild acids, especially in the concentration they are in. Citric acid has a higher concentration in your citrus fruits than in soda.

DW is definitely right about the stomach acid part. The acid in your stomach is hydrochloric acid. That is a much stronger acid than either of the two in soda. Which is why bulimics (sp?) have their esophagus torn apart by throwing up so often.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:26 am

Besides which... if we tell the kids Coke is dangerous they'll simply drink more of it!

I remember when my teacher put the nail in the coke and we watched for days as it disolved while learning about acids. Afterwards he asked what we'd learned. I perked up and answered "I can know that I can now eat nails and live, so long as I have coke to sustain me!"

:lol: #-o

He gave up after that and simply didn't try anymore...

Mmmm, Coke, Drink of the Gods, that. ;)

Personally, I vastly prefer my Organic Apple juice or Orange juice, but they make that stuff too expensive here to buy with any regularity. :-(
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:37 am

Kitsune wrote:I perked up and answered "I can know that I can now eat nails and live, so long as I have coke to sustain me!"
Gotta have some Iron in your diet anyway, best to get it all at once.

Actually you want something you can really clean with and highly acidic go with Kool-Aid.

Now I'm not talking about the kind you get in your average grocery aisle, but the bulk packets. The ones that are about the size of your hand and you add 5 gallons of water and a few pounds of sugar.

We had them in the military for the mess hall, and when we did clean up and had burned pots, nothing worked better than that stuff. Sprinkle a bunch on, hit with a little water then let sit for a few minutes - sparkling clean.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:41 pm

I think I'll just slink off to a corner with my trusty Pepsi, thanks. Coke's nasty. :P

Geeze!

How EXACTLY did we segue from me trying not to panic over a tooth pull to Koolaid as a cleaning agent?

:lol: :lol:

OH! Wait! I remember, something about a torpedo!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:48 pm

The wonders of a message board ^__^

I didn't know that about kool-aid! All I knew was that you could dye your hair for cheap, and that you'd better not forget to get the kind without the sugar - or at least wash your hair afterward.

Now that wasn't me, as I've never dyed my hair...

I'll admit, though, when I was getting rid of practically everything unhealthy in my diet, my body craved SOMETHING in coke for the first few days - just a sip. Something in it.. Hmm.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:06 am

When's your pull scheduled for? My thoughts are with you... my teeth are... well, they're not annoying at the moment, but they're in strange positions and who knows what they'll end up doing. Sympathies!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:34 am

Dec 14th...wonderful way to start moving towards yule isn't it?

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:53 am

Ouch... hope you can eat properly by Yule!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:20 pm

I cannot drink Orange juice without heartburn. As for soda, sometimes it is the only thing that will calm my stomach. True, it is not good to drink on a regular basis. Then again, my stomach acid production is quite weak.
Caffene is not the evil villian that many make it out to be. Moderation is the key. Like any drug you have to treat it with respect. I would imagine that guzzling down energy drinks (really soda with added stuff) would be more harmful than simple coke.

What I honestly think that makes coke a good cleaner is the carbonation. At work we use a simple carbonated water (no sugar or other additives) to clean stuff. Actually, when I had braces the doc did not want me to drink anything with carbonation (diet or otherwise).
The obesity issue is that they put so much sugar into soda pop and people guzzle it like it is water. Even with the diet stuff, your body still needs water and this diet stuff is harder to digest.
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:43 pm

Lotus wrote:Even with the diet stuff, your body still needs water and this diet stuff is harder to digest.
Actually, my doctor figured out that what the main trigger for my Irritable Bowel was the Aspertaime (the sweetener) in Diet Pepsi. I had switched from regular b/c my diabetic friend made me look at the sugar content and how it was affecting me...and we never thought that drinking the diet stuff would mess me up. Finally, after a GI doctor couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting better, my Dr went through everything that I ate on a weekly basis. When she asked about drinks, I informed her that I usually drink Pepsi instead of coffee to get started, but my friend got me to switch. We realized that 6-8 mo after switching, I started having symptoms of IBS. After a year, it was out of control.

Now, I can't eat/drink anything with chemical sweeteners, even splenda. they all cause serious stomach upset. It helps control the IBS, but now that it's been activated, my tummy's REALLY sensitive. Stress'll set me off, too, but I can't even chew GUM with artificial sweeteners.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 am

Now, I can't eat/drink anything with chemical sweeteners, even splenda. they all cause serious stomach upset. It helps control the IBS, but now that it's been activated, my tummy's REALLY sensitive. Stress'll set me off, too, but I can't even chew GUM with artificial sweeteners.
I'm the same way, and because most gums available have artificial sweeteners, I just don't chew gum.

It's pretty bad; scientists are starting to link aspartame and other art. sweeteners to a lot of health problems, IBS being the most readily detectable.

Bah! Nothing is very good for you anymore... Ah well.
Crazy Healer Lady

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:08 am

I know!

Hubby says that research shows that research causes cancer in lab rats.

LOL

Would you believe people are so brainwashed that sugar is so freaking bad for you that a server in a restaurant gave us a funny look when we asked for more regular sugar for our tea, b/c she saw we had equal, splenda & Nutrasweet left?

I actually had to go up to the bar to get some.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:18 pm

Kystar wrote:
research causes cancer in lab rats.
I have to poke fun at you for this one.
:-D :-D
BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:11 pm

Hay, it's not MY saying, poke away.