Help...Tooth pull approaching!

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Help...Tooth pull approaching!

Post by Kystar » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:59 am

Okay, hi guys...it's the local cowardly owl again.

So, my one wisdom tooth went spastic the thursday before last...and I've got a consult scheduled...with a surgeon...to get the silly thing pulled.

And once more, I'm terrified...b/c I hate the idea of someone digging around in my mouth (where it HURTS) with what equates to a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to yank out a tooth.

And I still have at least a week if not two before they will be able to do it...so I'll be constant pain until then.

Help? Please? :sad7: :sad7:
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:27 am

Best Wishes my dear. I'm sure it will be fine. And this coming from someone who really hates Dentists.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:56 am

Best wishes... And remember, the anticipation of pain tends to hurt more than the actual pain... Use clove oil... As Crazy has said before, it really helps with tooth pain.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:20 am

Woo! Clove oil is my best friend when it comes to teeth... ugh...

I've had all mine pulled, because my dentist is an idiot who was looking for the $$$. My family and I were sucked into it when I was younger and I got the right side pulled, I got sick, went to hospital, etc. It was another year before I got the other side, and only because I didn't want to be lop-sided, and I could feel my teeth shifting to allow the new teeth through. Now, I feel I have good teeth; straight, no braces ever, etc. so the thought of them going to the side didn't make me feel good, but THIS time, when I got them pulled, I did it right.

The first time, my teeth were not even showing. Rat b****** dentist didn't even wait for that! So, they had to push them to the surface to get them out. My gums were horribly mutilated, and my sister they cut open her cheek.

It just occurred to me that I should not be telling you the bad parts... but here come the good parts!

The second time, I mega Reiki-ed myself before, during, after. My teeth had gone through so it was really really simple. The dentist who did it this time (as my dentist no longer does surgeries) was a cutie and I used all my knowledge in herbs and healing to help me.

2 weeks, no pain, fully healed. Yay!

Honestly, it doesn't hurt when they are doing it. There is the freezing for that.

When they get you to clamp onto the gauze afterwards, soak it in yarrow tea (you can find it in a local healthfood store that sells herbs, it's quite popular, or if you have it growing there get it from a good source, not on the side of the road, etc). Yarrow stops bleeding very quickly, and also prevents infections. Put a TINY amount of clove oil in the tea, and that will help marvellously with the pain afterward.

This, and sending energy to myself, and falling to sleep when I was feeling the freezing wear off, is what made everything so flawless. The first time, I was in agony, had to go to the hospital, missed months of school because I had become sick. This time, 2 weeks, and no trace.

I kept the teeth, of course (sick freak that I am!) and buried them in a ritual.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:51 am

Well, I had my one wisdom tooth pulled because it hurt. He was supposed to be a really gentle dentist. He loosened it with what looked like a SCREWDRIVER and wrenched it out with a pair of PLIERS! I think I used a regular teabag for the bleeding, which helped, and gargled with first a tincture of marjoram (anti-practically-Everything) to prevent infections, then a tincture of comfrey to help seal the hole. Comfrey is a great herb for wound sealing, as long as the wound is clean (thus the marjoram). Since I'll have about a week after this consult for the extraction to be scheduled (yeah insurance crap), I'll see about getting out to get some yarrow.

My clove oil I'm not sure is safe to put in my mouth, it's essential, but I don't know if it's clove blossom or clove bark...which means I don't know if it is able to be used in the mouth. I use it topically in massage oils, or I did when I was still making them.

The pain's moved from the gums to deep in the jaw, so I don't think anything topical will help...right now painkillers are the only thing keeping me upright. However, it seems to be slacking off right now...the last two days I've only needed one or two does.

(When I was 19, I was told that it would be a semi-serious surgery to get my wisdom teeth taken care of, since the roots were partially impacted...an hour each tooth, all three at once, but they couldn't knock me out. Needless to say, the girl who has NEVER even had a CAVITY walked out of that office FAST. Three hours - no knockout - cutting gums, and drilling out roots? NOPE! SORRY! Course, what do I expect being on Medical Assistance?)

I'll have to focus before I go in for the actual extraction...see how I can direct my energy to help heal/keep calm. At least THIS time, my HUSBAND will BE THERE! Prat made me go alone the last time...first major dental work...no support there...trying to talk to him on my cell phone clamping gauze and still Novicaned to have him come pick me up. At least now he's been at that job long enough that he can take a day off to take care of me!

Thanks for the help...I'm currently trying to not think about it too much.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:16 pm

Good luck, can you ask them to put you out or anything?

What helped me was planning a nice relaxing day at home after the extraction. I rented some movies had the couch all fixed up and had a bunch of ice ready in the fridge.

I just spent the whole day taking care of myself, it was a good day after the initial not so good part.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:56 pm

Comfrey is good for external problems but internally it damages the kidneys/liver.

However, it is one of my favourite healing herbs!!!

I have a huge thing about being knocked out. They wanted to put me out (um... $$$$$ obviously) but I said no, and I am glad for my bf's accounts of it from the surgery after he lopped off his finger. Nothing bad, just enough to really turn me away. My own fears/demons there :P

You could try making your own clove oil. Soak a bunch of clove buds in alcohol overnight. You could try oil as well but I am not sure how the oil would be seeing it should be treated as an open wound. Would you put regular oil in a wound? Something says no, but alcohol of course. Mind, there is the pain of that.

If you try it, let me know!
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:54 pm

When I had my wisdom teeth extracted (they were impacted so it had to be done surgically) they put me out. To this day I still can't remember what happened after the surgery was over. I have a few very hazy memories, but the majority of the day I can't remember. That to me is the worst part. It just really disturbs me that a drug can be powerful enough to make you lose your memory of an entire day.

At any rate, besides the memory loss and the pain afterward, (the painkillers they gave me made me sick so I had to quit using them), it really wasn't too unbearable. You just have to eat soup and mushy food for a few days.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:02 pm

Well, don't know if I can ask to be knocked out...since this is a new dentist...distance.

I've never used Comfrey for anything but basic topical...and the mouthwash-style use was pushing it. I tend not to ingest ANY herb that I don't regularly find on a spice rack...LOL

I'm really actually nervous because it is a new dentist...so I don't know what to expect.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:23 am

I was knocked out for my wisdom teeth extraction.

My teachers said I'd be out for a month or more. I shocked them all when I was back 3 days later. :lol:

I remember coming out of it, and trying to sit up to understand my surroundings and they kept pushing me back down. #-o

For the first day, I had the small amount of painkillers they gave me, after that, I used Extra Strength Tylonal. It was a bit of a mistake going back after only 3 days though... My jaw was killing me by Noon. A full week should have you back up and about though.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:39 pm

Well, the consult went well...except the dentist has decided in his wisdom and experience that it would be best to take the tooth that's hurting me, the other wisdom tooth that's sort of off to one side on the top...and the root left behind by the OTHER dentist all at once. And since he IS an oral surgeon...I will be knocked out.

I'm under orders to gargle with peroxide, and take antibiotics IF I feel an infection has begun.

However, since I needed to work out PTO time with my husband, the surgery isn't scheduled until the 14th of Dec. I COULD have gone in this Friday, but Tony couldn't get the day off work b/c of projects.

I'm planning on having both yarrow and marjoram available for mouthwashing, and comfrey after the bleeding has stopped...and teabags.

LOL...silly dentist type says that the only way to stop that kind of bleeding is biting gauze...why does he not know that biting a lukewarm teabag does better? Hmm, I wonder what's in black tea that helps staunch bleeding?

Anyways...I'm going to try not to panic in the next however many weeks/days while we work towards this.

Gotta remember to call them tomorrow and tell them the last time I was knocked out, I started to wake up and had to be given more...so they know.

Thanks for the good wishes and advice.

BTW - does anyone know how to get things back that were inexplicably lost? I had a wireless headset for my cell phone up and vanish between this morning and this afternoon...very disturbing since I just GOT it sunday! TY.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Hmm, I wonder what's in black tea that helps staunch bleeding?
It's mildly astringent. I believe that's why ^_^

Eh.. Dentists really haven't opened their minds to complimentaries yet. Never mind that mercury fillings have been linked to alzheimers and that clove oil works better than their topical novocaine gel.
BTW - does anyone know how to get things back that were inexplicably lost?
I find that if I completely take my mind away from it, trusting that it will come back, it does. If I stress over it and keep looking, my eyes pass RIGHT over it without seeing. If I just forget about it, and make a silent prayer such as "Um.. I'd really like it back..." it always does come back.
Crazy Healer Lady

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:32 pm

I usually just yell out in the room before I leave for work or something that it had better be back when I come home or there will be big trouble. It usually turns up on my bed in the next day or two.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:06 am

My husband found it on his chair. Either it fell out of my purse there, or it fell out of my purse near the chair, and one of our cats put it on the chair.

#-o

I could have SWORN I put my purse on the GROUND next to his desk when I was raiding the spare change bank for bus money, not ON his desk, but apparently, I was wrong.

This is what I get for accepting a Yule Gift before December has even STARTED, despite knowing EXACTLY what it was.

See, his mom was going ON and ON about how cheap her blue tooth headset was...and her phone is one that almost anything that's compatible with it, is compatible with mine...so I KNEW that Tony had taken advantage of the sale.

Sigh.
Lost an earing at the dentists, or soon after...b/c I have three holes in each ear, and I always keep a loop in the top two...so basically, I wear four silver loops all the time...but had to take them out for xrays, and when I went into my purse to put them somewhere a little safer than my phone pocket, I had three.

Yesterday was the day of lost.
Last edited by Kystar on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:25 am

Don't be nervous about being knocked out. For me it was like a great day of sleeping and resting (Except that I drooled on my Mom when she stopped for lunch at Harvey's).

I am interested in these techniques for finding lost things...but I have one question, how would you get a purse in trouble?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)