Anxious

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Anxious

Post by Jescissa » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:33 am

I've been working for a UK supermarket chain for the past 8 weeks and I've thoroughly enjoyed it (apart from the odd dodgy customer), but my friend who joined the same time I did, got a letter and an interview with a manager yesterday saying that all 16 temporary staff recently taken on will have to be let go because the supermarket didn't make enough profit over the summer to afford to keep them on.

Now, I'm terrified that I'll get a letter and an interview tomorrow when I have another shift at work. I can't afford to lose this job, it took me so, so long to find it. The one thing I have as a consolation is that perhaps I won't get a letter because where I work (the petrol station) is on a different budget than the rest of the store and is understaffed as it is, so perhaps me (and the other new guy who started a few weeks ago) are going to be kept on. Otherwise I don't know how the garage staff are going to cope. As it is I've been covering other people's shifts this summer because there just aren't enough people willing to cover sickness and holidays.

Please send me all you can because I can't lose this job!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:36 pm

[-o< In my prayers mon ami!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:14 am

I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:17 pm

Well, I did have a meeting with my manager, but she was nearly in tears having to tell me and I was in tears too, it was so sad. I have three weeks left in my job, but there's a chance that once the store manager comes back from holiday he will see how badly understaffed the garage is and my manager will be allowed to rehire me, especially since I know my job inside-out.

My manager also fought for me to have an extra two weeks left and today she went away and argued for a third week for me, which she won. I'm so happy to have found a manager who is willing to support me after my old job where people were so quick to judge and not helpful at all. I'm really hoping things will work out.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 am

I hope it works out for you. Your manager sounds like a very sweet person, it would be a shame to lose the job.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:16 am

Well, it might work out after all, my manager has been fighting hard for me to stay, as far as I know right now I still have 2 weeks left, but by next week I should know a bit more :-)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:01 pm

Thinking, and sensing. Good luck lass. ;)